Thread: Which Brand?

Forum Member

Default Which Brand?

What brand and model of PPE do you prefer....just wondering...?

FF-EMT

Talking Ppe

Which brand do I prefer? Whatever gets issued that fits!! That is not just a funny comment, I always seem to be in between sizes and what I prefer is something that fits and I can move in. Although I like the look of mourning pride gear the best, Cairns seems to fit me better.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Default agree

Morning Pride gear does look top shelf.

Forum Member

how does everyone here feel about Globe...?

MembersZone Subscriber

oops.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gear

I love my Lion gear and Paul Conway Helmet.

Forum Member

Just so you know, PBI Matrix material is only made in 2 mills nationwide. So, no matter what gear you buy, you are pretty much getting the same stuff. Buy whatever brand you like the salesman of...

Forum Member

i love my globe gx-7 gear... okay now i'm switching it up... what type of traditional helmet do you perfer...?

MembersZone Subscriber

I've only worn morning pride and globe extreme, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I was measured for the morning pride and it fit really well. I'm not sure how they decided what size Globe I needed, but although it's nice gear, it doesn't fit as well. If I was measured I'm sure I would like it better, no fault of the manufacturer though.

Having only worn those two brands, I'm more concerned about having enough pockets and clips than what brand the gear is. I've had to borrow gear for one reason or another and didn't like the configuration of some of the pockets. Again, personal preference and not the fault of the manufacturer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Morning Pride, Globe, and Cairns you can't go wrong with. At least in my opinion. Not a big fan of Quest, Veridian, and some of the other "budget friendly" brands.

Trendle-- While you're right that only a few places make the materials, there can be a huge difference between Brand A and Brand B on how they fit and are assembled.

Forum Member

The fit of the gear is not necessarily a manufacture think. Alot has to do with the guy doing the measuring. I was given the wrong length sleeve 5 yrs back and was told that it was supposed to fit that way, to protect me when I had my hands over my head. I spent the next 5 yrs pushing the sleaves up so I could pick something up. the cuff went into the glove and the glove went over the cuff. The sleaves just got in the way.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Trendle-- While you're right that only a few places make the materials, there can be a huge difference between Brand A and Brand B on how they fit and are assembled.
    Which was my point. Pick the gear you "like" the best because the materials are the same.

Forum Member

Been doing the "volunteer" (paid-by-the-call) thing now for 28 years. During that time I served on three different departments and have worn several different brands. The first set I bought for myself (back when I was on a true volunteer department that issued old stuff) was Globe and I like it better than anything I have worn ever since. If they have kept up with the technology, I am sure you would be happy with that brand.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by trendle View Post
    Which was my point. Pick the gear you "like" the best because the materials are the same.
    OK, just wanted to make sure. I pictured the guy on my career department that specs our gear and his mentality that because it's the same material, the cheap, presized stuff is just as good.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have fire-dex and they seem to be the best ive ever had. The department bought cheiftan 1 yr. after i got mine and i wasnt a real big fan but everybody else seems to like them. i have also had globe and morning pride. the globes were ok they just seemed to break down quickly after about a years worth of wear. i cant say anything bad about the morning prides. If your looking for the best as far as cost and durability my opinion would be fire-dex

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had Fire-Dex, Securetex, Morning Pride, and Globe. Currently I use Globe and Morning Pride (back up set) and both have worn well. The only thing I can say is my Morning Pride is like wearing comfy PJs and my Globe is like wearing snowboard clothing (ergonomically cut to fit the curves of your body which is cool!) but I gotta say I like the look of my MP's alot better!! The Fire-Dex were wore out when I got them so not really a fair comparison and the Securetex made me feel the opposite....it was thin, light, and "crispy" feeling but did preform when I was still using it. It was really nice for warm weather car wrecks on the freeway tho! As far as helmets, I am using a Cairns 880 Traditional now and would recommend it to anyone, just replace the hardware with new brass machine scres with star washers, mine came loose on every call! Before that I used Cairns 660 Metros, and a Morning Pride metro the Morning Pride was a warm helmet. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new Cairns N6a Sam Houston. Lets hear some more about helmets!!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. Thereís no hidden meaning, and Iím not upset about anything.
    Itís not intended to upset anybody, ďbeat a political drumĒ, or ďstir the potĒ. Thereís no need to try to read in between the lines.
    Itís just not that deep, so stop looking for something that isnít there.

Forum Member

Default gear brand

i have been volunteering for 5 years and i have had globe and fire dex. the globe i had was old, but it still wore fairly comfortably. then our whole department got fire dex, and i absolutely love it. the pants wear like a loose set of blue jeans and movement in them is wonderful. the coat is not thick and bulky, and i have great range of motion in it. we went with the pbi kevlar bunker set. all our interior firefighters are issued pro warrington leather boots and cairns 1010 helmets. i just got a cairns new yorker a month ago, so i don't use the 1010 very much any more.

stay safe
    ftm-ptb-egh-rfb-ktf-dtrt

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

I don't prefer any really. If it fits and works as it's supposed to, I'm all for it.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used Quaker gear and it seemed to hold up well, and fit good. Globe gear that i was issued one time was good stuff also. Currently the dept im on uses Janesville, awesome gear, i highly recommend the back support, after closing the pants with velcro and snaps you can pull another closure that snugs up a back support. I used to have alot of back aches after fires where i would wear an SCBA, now I just have shoulder aches (i blame that on MSA, im kinda partial to Scott's lol).

Whatever brand you get, make sure you can order it to the specific size of the firefighter, not just the general S, M, L, XL, 2XL and so on. When ordering gear if the firefighters arms are 34 inchs according to the instructions for measuring, then the turnout gear should have 34 inch sleaves, not 35 or 33 cause thats close enough, or thats what the XL size comes with. Research the gear, go see what your neighboring dept's have and talk to the guys about what there wearing.

Forum Member

my main set is morning pride gear, globe boots and a cairns 880

my back-up set is an older set of globe gear, morning pride ben2 and ranger rubber boots

like the morning pride gear by far prior to getting the morning pride gear my dept had purchased quaker gear it was not well liked by the members and we have had some issues with the velco coming apart

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mrivers09 View Post
    how does everyone here feel about Globe...?
    Loved it!!! Dept switched to morning pride 5 years ago and after some durability issues the new stuff is ok. I WILL ALWAYS KEEP MY SET OF GLOBE you cant beat the durability and fit.
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

the last group of gear we bought was globe and it has held up great. the set before that was Quaker safety and it was junk, im pretty sure we've sent back just about every set to get the front flap that goes over the zipper stitched back on, and a few of our member have washed it in a gear washer and the softer side of the Velcro just fell apart and wont stick to any thing anymore
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

MembersZone Subscriber

As I have said in the forums before we have Janesville and have had no problem with it. As for the above post I have heard quite a few complaints about thhe Quaker gear...

Forum Member

No complaints with the Globe sets I've worn in the past (traditional & GX-7). My most recent set was from Securitex. It was ok, but didn't hold up well at all. Currently wearing Morning Pride and without a doubt, it's the best set I've ever had.

Helmet's a MP Ben 2 Plus. The most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

Thread Information