Forum Member

Default Feedback from all weight vest owners

I'm looking to upgrade from my current weight vest that weighs around 30 lbs. My current vest is some off brand that was "keep it as long as you need it" loaned to me by a friend who is a personal trainer. While my 30 lbs. vest has been tough and dependable, I want to upgrade to a 50-55 lbs. vest in order to best simulate events from CPAT's. I would like some feedback from poeple who own or have owned Mir, V-Max, and any other weight vest brands. The main things I want to know is your particular weight vest brand and:

Would you say that the construction quality of your vest is tough and dependable?
    How well has your particular vest held up after using it for some time (i.e.: any major signs of wear and tear)?
    Does your vest fit you good?

Thanks guys and gals for your feedback on this!

-Stay safe

Forum Member

Default Mir

I recently bought a MIR weight vest and it is exactly what I hoped for. Excellent build, comfortable, fits perfect, and inexpensive. I got a 75 lb from ebay for $150 shipped.

Forum Member

I've got a 75# V-Max. It's been nice. There is a 50# and 25# component.

My only real complaint is the 25# component doesn't have a stability strap, so when you're running/etc. it bounces around a bit.

If you use them alot, vests are a good investment. I got mine as a birthday present a few years ago, so there wasn't much of a financial strain. If I were to have bought one on my own (at $300) I might have said it wasn't worth it.

My other big concern with weight vests is safety. When you're hauling around 75# for extended periods of time you run the chance of injuring your back, neck etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    I've got a 75# V-Max. It's been nice. There is a 50# and 25# component.

My only real complaint is the 25# component doesn't have a stability strap, so when you're running/etc. it bounces around a bit.

If you use them alot, vests are a good investment. I got mine as a birthday present a few years ago, so there wasn't much of a financial strain. If I were to have bought one on my own (at $300) I might have said it wasn't worth it.

My other big concern with weight vests is safety. When you're hauling around 75# for extended periods of time you run the chance of injuring your back, neck etc.
    I agree. I've got a 50# v-max which I only use for doing stairs. I feel like it's not secure or balanced enough to try and run or jog in it. Nevertheless, it's a great workout tool! It retails for about $200. Not a bad investment.

Forum Member

Default vmax 75lb

I bought a new 75lb vest from vmax for $286. It is great for stairs. I run on trails with 20-25lbs and it holds up well. I would suggest trying to find a used one on ebay or through a friend. good luck

Forum Member

Thanks again for all the feedback guys! I'm going to buy my new 50 lb. vest as soon as I finish building my resistance sled. Most resistance sled retail online for $140-300. The one I'm fabricating is built much stronger and can easily hold a 300-400 lbs. load (as opposed to the 200 lbs. max load on most retail sleds), it has some "personal" touches to it, and the big thing is that it has only cost me $110 total. I'll try to upload some pics of my sled once it's finished.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pewter98 View Post
    Thanks again for all the feedback guys! I'm going to buy my new 50 lb. vest as soon as I finish building my resistance sled. Most resistance sled retail online for $140-300. The one I'm fabricating is built much stronger and can easily hold a 300-400 lbs. load (as opposed to the 200 lbs. max load on most retail sleds), it has some "personal" touches to it, and the big thing is that it has only cost me $110 total. I'll try to upload some pics of my sled once it's finished.

Please do post some pictures! Also, can you go into detail as to how you constructed it?

Thanks -

PHC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Please do post some pictures! Also, can you go into detail as to how you constructed it?

Thanks -

PHC
    You got it. I only wish my camera had been fixed in time to take step-by-step pictures. I had taken my camera with me all through fire academy this past summer. While my camera held up pretty good considering where it had been through the academy, it decided to crap out on me the very last day of live burns. Now my cameras fixed and I should be done with the sled in about a week or two. I'll put the pics and all the build details under a new post.
    Last edited by pewter98; 11-03-2008 at 05:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used my new V-max vest today, I have the 50# long type, with about 40# to start out. It was nice...shoulders are nice, weight is balanced out. I had two other vests and this seemd to be alot more user friendly. I did 15mins on the stair master and it didn't hurt my back like other vests would.

I too would like to see the pics of the build. I looked up a few sleds and seems like a good project....good work!

Thread Information