Thread: Pager Problem

Default Pager Problem

We have new Swissphone pagers and they have started to activate(we get tones but nothing else but static) for no reason, dispatch does not send page (they have been contacted and told us they did not send page) and not all pagers activate. They seem to all activate properly when dispatch sends a page. Any ideas?

Forum Member

not sure if this will help or not, but, my department has Motorola Pagers and we have the same problem, however ours isn't a problem with the pager, it's a problem with people that have radios that are sending the our tones(using a tone generator) across our repeater system, thus meaning anyone within range of the repeater have their pagers activated. Our dispatch also denies setting off the tone, this may not be the same as your problem, but that's what we're dealing with.

Forum Member

If a computer or other RF noise generating device happens to make the tones close enough to that of your pager, it will activate it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know a dept that is having problems with ''ghost pages'' at random times there pagers will alert but nothing will be said. For there pagers to be set off just takes one long single tone. I bet if there pagers were reprogrammed to a 2 tone or 4 tone configuration there problems would go away.

Forum Member

We have the swissphone pagers and they will go off when someone is talking on the radio. Our department shares the same frequency as another department and they can be on a schene and all of a sudden it trips. Not exactly fun at 2 in the morning when it isn't you.

We've also had issues with the SWP's alert tones overiding the dispatchers so we can't here the first part of the message. We're having to call back for info.

Forum Member

There is probably a reason that Motorola still makes the predominant pager. All these other brands people buy because they are cheaper. Well congratulations, you saved a hundred bucks and got a piece of crap.

Forum Member

Motorola has had it's share of problems too.
    The Minitor IV is an absolute peice of doo doo.
    Happily, however, the Minitor V seems to work well, and does a good job of adjacent frequency rejection.

That has been a problem with cheeper and older pagers that have a somewhat wide frequency sensitivity. In an effort to make the pager sensitive to weak signals, it also tends to allow signals from other off-frequency wide-band FM transmitters in as well.

If multiple pagers are picking up phantom pages, the problem you are describing may be caused by a poorly aligned, or over-driven paging transmitter on an adjacent frequency that your pagers are allowing to bleed in.

Forum Member

The III and IV were junk. But they got it right with the V and there is no excuse to cheap out and buy some crapbox that doesn't work to save a few bucks.

Forum Member

I have never heard of a swissphone but I am really familiar with Motorola! My husband lovingly laughs and says "tell them I really loved my brick!" I personally like my V but it has this horrible static after every tone. It makes me crazy, my others didnt do that. My hubby carries a radio now so he doesnt have to deal with a pager anymore. So, of course he loved his brick!!

Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

The static is because of the way they programmed the stored voice. It needs to do that in order to keep recording while waiting for the dispatcher to speak. That isn't a problem with the pager, that is just how it works.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The static is because of the way they programmed the stored voice. It needs to do that in order to keep recording while waiting for the dispatcher to speak. That isn't a problem with the pager, that is just how it works.
    Ahhh well its annoying in the middle of the night Thanks nmfire!
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

The III and IV were junk. But they got it right with the V and there is no excuse to cheap out and buy some crapbox that doesn't work to save a few bucks.
    We've got III's IV's& 5's The III's have been great, trouble free and just keep working with no problems .
    The 4's were junk from day one until they sent a batch back to us from depot rehab, they've been ok since.
    The V's have been a continuous headache. bad chargers , junk proprietary batteries, lousy reception characteristics. We had one batch with an 85% failure rate within 1 month of receiving them.
    We are looking at and demoing other brands now in a search for something better. Just because a minitor is expensive doesn't make it good.

Forum Member

Don't want to start a new thread (sorry bout jumping in on this one) but I also have a pager problem that I would be curious to find out if other people experience the same problem.

I have a minitor II and it works great to be as old as dirt (it was also used by my dad when he was a volunteer), but when I am around certain computers or other electronic devices, my pager will make one long loud @$$ beep even if it is on locked channel. I find this strange because well my MII alert is the ringing bell (beep beep beep beep...yeah yeah you get it I'm sure) and I have never heard this single sharp beep except around certain electronics. Is this just a gliche with the old minitor II's not being up to date with today's electronics...any ideas?
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We've got III's IV's& 5's The III's have been great, trouble free and just keep working with no problems .
    The 4's were junk from day one until they sent a batch back to us from depot rehab, they've been ok since.
    The V's have been a continuous headache. bad chargers , junk proprietary batteries, lousy reception characteristics. We had one batch with an 85% failure rate within 1 month of receiving them.
    We are looking at and demoing other brands now in a search for something better. Just because a minitor is expensive doesn't make it good.
    Hate to break it to you but the IV is a III with new knobs. They are internally exactly the same. They took the useless piece of junk defective poorly designed III, put clicking knobs on it, and called it a IV. Other than the knobs, they are the same pager with the same points of failure. The decoder chip pops off the board. Oh wait, they glued a piece of foam above it to help hold it down... so when it breaks, it doesn't fall completely off and just sits there loose. The fact that you haven't had any problems with your III's is pure luck.

The amp charger problem with the V was pretty stupid of them but they haev since fixed that. The charger would fry the pager rending both of them useless.

Forum Member

Nothing was better than the 2's. All they need to do is put the record function on the two and they would have the perfect pager.

Forum Member

Hate to break it to you but the IV is a III with new knobs. They are internally exactly the same. They took the useless piece of junk defective poorly designed III, put clicking knobs on it, and called it a IV. Other than the knobs, they are the same pager with the same points of failure. The decoder chip pops off the board. Oh wait, they glued a piece of foam above it to help hold it down... so when it breaks, it doesn't fall completely off and just sits there loose. The fact that you haven't had any problems with your III's is pure luck.

The amp charger problem with the V was pretty stupid of them but they haev since fixed that. The charger would fry the pager rending both of them useless.
    I just looked at our inventory list : We have 11 out of 12 III's bought 10 years ago still in service, 5 of 6 IV's bought 6 years ago & 3 of 10 V's that have been bought over the last couple of years still in service. Still have 5 15 yr old shinwa's that work.
    The minitor V's have spent more time traveling back & forth to depot service than on peoples hips.
    Looking at both Apollo and swissphone for replacements.
    Maybe we have been lucky with the 3's & 4's but they seem to be a much better quality than the 5's.

On another front how come the cost of pagers is right up there with what we're paying for VHF radios??? Seems like somebody is making a lot of profit on them because their for the fire service.

Forum Member

What problems are you experiencing with the V's and what chargers were you using?

Yes, the charge us that much money because they can.

Forum Member

What problems are you experiencing with the V's and what chargers were you using?

Yes, the charge us that much money because they can.
    NM
    the first batch of V's came with the amp chargers. They almost all died very quickly. then the replacements started out fresh from the box with junk proprietary batteries that would only hold 3-5 hrs charge . We replaced the battery packs and they still have issues with short charge life and don't receive as well as the III's & IV's. I can be standing right next to someone with a V and my III will receive the tone and hear the message clearly while the V is scratchy and intermittent . It's not the transmitter freq as I had the radio techs check and had the V's rechecked for programming. We won't be wasting any more money on them.
    We're using the replacement chargers that came from the depot after the first batch all went up in smoke.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 12-02-2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added additional sentence

Forum Member

The amplifier chargers were all recalled several times (even after they were "fixed") because they were frying batteries and pagers. That is no doubt what caused most of your problems. That screwed over a LOT of people. Luckily I knew about it so I refused to buy the amp chargers even when the dealers claimed there was nothing wrong.

As for the crappy RX, i would be very suspect of the tuning. Not the programming, but the TUNING of the pager. Something isn't right and it can be adjusted. We have almost 100 Minitor V's between both fire departments and the ambulance in this town and none of them have these problems. They were tuned and programmed correctly and never touched an amp charger.

Thread Information