Default What do you carry in your turn outs?

Been meaning to post this for awhile,

What do you carry in your turn outs and why?

I've been examining my own, and wondering if i ever really need this crap, from head to toe:

Helmet-have a little extra flashlight that my department issued that pretty much can't light up a closet without smoke.

Coat: Bought my own flashlight for about $100 from this sight, i think the pelican brand, works great, keep my radio on one breast strap, the light on the other. Top right pocket i keep a utility knife for extrications or entanglement. Inside pocket I keep a surgical mask for extrications or overhaul.

Front pockets: door wedges, used once in awhile, never critical. Screw driver and wire cutters, they made this seem so big in the academy and everyone on the department seems to carry em, but has anyone ever used this in an emergency? In four years I've only seen one of em used once, and it was not an emergency, we have all this stuff in the truck, rather than weigh us down further cant we just go back and get it. I also carry a 2.5 inch hydrant cap in case the one on the hydrant has been stolen or tampered with, I've never used this either.

Pants: I keep pack straps, useful for securing hoseline, and oddly enough i seem to use these more often than most of the other stuff mentioned.

So i think i'm gonna ditch the screwdriver, hydrant cap, bolt cutters. I'm wondering what else does the fire world out there carry.

Be well.

Forum Member

Not much really. Just a knife/seatbelt cutter/ window punch combo tool. Thats about it. I never found myself to need anything more than what's on the truck.

Forum Member

You might want to hang onto your wire cutters. This is not an item you want to go back to the truck and get. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Worldwide Menace

I usually carry the search function in my turnouts...

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry the following:
    Helmet: 2 Chocks, one helmet light
    Coat Pockets: bungie cord, 2 lumber crayons
    Pants: smoothbore overhaul tip, tin snips, 1" Webbing 10' loop, seatbelt cutter, knife... About it...
    I always place a chock on my scba, as well as hose packs at the start of the shift. My rule of thumb is minimum 4 chocks.. Figure front main doors, front interior doors, stairwell door, and apt door.. Used to carry a lot more but tried to loose some of it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What I carry...

Helmet - UK Q40 light
    Coat - 1" inner tube loops, nails (5), 2 chocks, and a spare light, and usually a pair or two of nitrile gloves
    Pants - 30' section of 1" webbing and two carbiners (left pocket), and a 30' section of 3/8" rescue rope with two carbiners.

We make sure everyone on the engine carries something...if I don't have it then hopefully someone will.

MembersZone Subscriber

"I also carry a 2.5 inch hydrant cap..."

I have to admit, all my time here, that was a first.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Back In Black

I carry this laptop, so I can refer to the dozens of threads about this topic.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I carry this laptop, so I can refer to the dozens of threads about this topic.
    DAMMIT you beat me to it.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    DAMMIT you beat me to it.
    Check post 4

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    I usually carry the search function in my turnouts...

-Damien
    Someone beat me to it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    "I also carry a 2.5 inch hydrant cap..."

I have to admit, all my time here, that was a first.
    That's why ya just can't say you've seen it all.
    Most hydrants have two 2.5 caps. Shouldn't you carry 2 ?

Forum Member

Ok I can top ya all! Keeping in mind that I am not a interior attack firefighter, I work the outside and EMS end of it all unless I am needed to maskup and head in.

In my helmet, just my nomex. This protects it from coming up missing in the firehouse. Funny how my gloves and nomex always end up in someone elses locker!

In my jacket, misc gloves for outside work, latex gloves for patient care, window punch. In my front pocket I carry a flashlight and most of the time my pager or radio is up there too.

In my bunkers, I need to remind you I am not an interior attack team member and I am female, In one pocket there is anti bacterial hand lotion (for the germ-a-phobs on my dept), a tampon (a long story regarding one of my fellow female ffs, its not easy being a female ff on a long fire scene, we cant just whip it out, so to say), another window punch, a seatbelt cutter, more latex gloves, misc change and dollar bills and I think there might be a pack of gum in there right now. And finally and most importantly my Nextel is in my bunkers..just in case the family needs to reach me. Just kidding, most of the members on my dept carry Nextels...its a nice way to communicate if the radios arent available.

I will say that when I am on a scene my pockets fill up with different tools of the trade and I promptly return them all after the fire. I dont run with a dept that is busy enough for me to load up my pockets like everyone else. I spend my money on other things like gloves to replace the ones that keep coming up missing!!
    Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

I do keep my bunkers usually clean, but it is as follows:

Helmet:
    Jacket - misc gloves (FF/rescue/latex/overhaul-junk), flashlight, knife, small wire cutters, electrical tape, glucose tabs (not had to use yet, thankfully), safety glasses
    Bunkers - cpr mask, latex gloves, trauma shears, extra flashlight, webbing tool (Sav-a-jake = has many uses)

MembersZone Subscriber

Helmet - Small mounted Pelican and a couple chocks behind the leather shield and my Nomex in the webbing.

Jacket - Electrical tape, medical tape, water proof Kodak camera (that's has maybe two pics and been in there a couple years so it's probably trash now that I'm thinking about it) a couple pairs of nitriles, Pelican light, gum, window punch, extrication gloves.

Pants - 20' of 1" webbing daisy chained with a 'biner, a 10' loop of 1" webbing, wire cutters, elevator key,

Suspenders - Leatherman multitool in a pouch on one side and a CPR barrier in pouch on the other.

Boots - my feet.

MembersZone Subscriber

helmet = nothing
    R pant = gloves (not put on till at the door and on air) under those are the door chocks (gloves come out, chock goes in the door)
    L pant = 2 webbing straps
    belt = mask bag and 50 ft roop with carabieners
    front pockets = cable cutters, extrication gloves, 6 in 1 screw driver, leatherman (and lately my hands, as it is chilly here in Ohio and all we've had is EMS and smells and bells)

MembersZone Subscriber

what you do with the hydrant cap??? I hope is not to vent the upper floor window.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    what you do with the hydrant cap??? I hope is not to vent the upper floor window.
    Holy Crap!

Someone's carrying a cap around?

Reminds me of when we used to have a shotput that someone painted and made an eight ball.

When you messed up you had to carry it around until someone else deserved it.

I wonder where it went?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I figured out what the cap's for. It's an attention getter. Both here by posting he carries it and when it gets hurled out a window to advise others he's stuck and can not get out of that upper floor window without additional resources.

That being said

In my coat I carry 2 hoods. That's it. Nothing else

Pants. Extrication gloves. Cheap leather work gloves. 10 ft of rope, knife, multi tool flashlight and cheap cigar. Firefighting gloves hang on strap on side of pants

On helmet. door wedges, goggles, and a grand waste of money ( the firefighters helmet camera)
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Talking

I have:
    wire cutters
    mini flashlight
    25ft 1 inch webbing
    1 door wedge
    and a rescue me action figure !!!!!

Default LOL guys

the cap is because in the area i work in the hydrants are often tampered with, kids playing, junkies hide stuff, people use the water for God knows what but they open em even in winter, and we either have to run back to the truck, or improvise. Thanks for the kind words though. ;-)

MembersZone Subscriber

On my helmet just a flashlight, use that blackjack holder thing that tucks it underneath the brim which is pretty cool.

Radio pocket: Keep my hood in here, when I gear up out comes the hood and in goes the radio.

Right Chest: Streamlight Survivor LED flashlight.

Inside coat pocket: Safety glasses, nitrile gloves in film canister.

Right coat pocket: Trauma shears (cut through anything easier to cut with gloves on), 6 in 1 screwdriver, 4 door chocks.

Left coat pocket: 10ft webbing with handles and 2 carabiners.

Right pants pocket: Pants have the divided bellows pocket, one glove in each side.

Left side clip: Extrication gloves.

Left pants pocket: 25ft webbing once again with handles and 2 carabiners. Lineman's pliers.
    Last edited by JCast141; 01-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Forum Member

I like to carry the Channel Lock 6-1 Rescue Tool. I've never been a big fan of multi tools but this one has done me some good. Not to mention that it has replaced several other tools in my pockets. The only problem is its size (length). However, if you have a 60/40 pocket divider in your pants then it fits perfectly in the 40 pocket section.

I'm not sure how to post pictures but you can see the tool here:

http://www.therescuetool.com/

Anyone else use this tool? Thoughts?

Other items I carry:

Safety glasses
    Shove knife
    glow stick
    20ft. webbing
    Drag rescue webbing (8ft?)
    Interchangable screwdriver
    Can of Chew
    Last edited by Fireman504; 01-09-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Forum Member

I use to carry alot but have trimed down over the past few years, that being said I always cary a tool ie irons or pick headed ax for on me always coat pocket 2 door chocks (just cause) 5 ts (never know) 50ft rope w/ benners and wire cutters any thing else I need I can get off the truck. if I get tangled up I want those cutters now, and for the size, ahh I can take the extra ounces
    Take care be safe.
    What is with the 2 inch cap? I honestly do know...
    Garbage men dont get excited when they turn the corner and see a pile of garbage awaiting them. Nor should we get excited to see a house on fire. Its our job, remember your training and keep your cool.

Thread Information