Default So Cal Opportunites for Active Duty Military

Hi everybody, first time poster, I had a few questions hoping to get answered and maybe get some ideas.

Here's the situation, I'm currently active duty Navy in San Diego, with about 8 months left of service out of a 6 year haul. Looking to get into fire fighting as a career and I've gotten some good advice so far and I THINK I've got an idea of how to proceed, but I want to get some experience while I'm still active duty. Maybe volunteers or reserve, heck, even seasonal if i can get it. I guess the question is: is it possible or are there any places in southern california that offer the ability to come out on say, weekends or when i'm not at sea and get my hands dirty, learn as much as possible.

Currently enrolled in Miramar colleges fire and science program and i will be starting my EMT course at the end of january, but up until i get out of the navy my only experience is shipboard firefighting and even then it's all just training, our ships never had a real fire onboard...

any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    Justin

MembersZone Subscriber

Justin,
    I can tell you this from being a Volly for 6 years before coming into the Navy that the training we get for shipboard is no comparrison to a structure fire real or training. The way we operate on the ship is entirely different from civilian firefighting. I can't help you with the issues of ivy training out there but if you have any questions otherwise I'll try to help as much as I can.

Forum Member

Default Thank you!!

First ..thank you for your service to our country. Second...as an ex-Damage Controlman who had gone through the Shipboard Firefighting School on Treasure Island, San Francisco there is a difference in the two fires. I think the fires there were a lot hotter. If you think about it...metal bulkheads and little windows (portholes) and only one way out. I also think you can acquire some sort of position as a firefighter. I went into government as a GS-5 Federal Fighter in Long Beach and then moved on to the City of Long Beach. There are volunteer departments near San Diego and I think there is still a Federal Fire Department on the Navy Base there??
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I don't believe any department in their right state of mind will employ you as a firefighter without a CSFM Firefighter 1 academy under your belt (but they may put you through one of their own, if so, more power to you). Your best bet *in my view* is get your classes done, get your EMT, reserve in a department you can actually do stuff in, and get hired.

Do your CPAT:
    http://www.cffjac.org/go/jac/cpat/

And apply for LA City and County. They are huge on Military experience, you should do fairly well.

But CAL Fire seasonal just started hiring again. Get your applications done and copied! Do a road trip or two to get those turned in. CAL Fire likes military as well
    Last edited by Ticonderoga; 11-08-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Forum Member

Smile 2 that i know of

OCFA and Riverside county fire dept have volunteer opportunites

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, thanks for serving our country and making it a safer place. Military guys do extremely well in the fire service. You already understand code and honor, already know how to take orders, are physically fit, have experience working with people from differnet backgrounds, as well as a ton of other highly desireable attributes.

You are on the right page. Take fire science classes NOW. You are correct with taking your EMT course. When you finish your military commitment, enroll in a basic fire academy either at Miramar, or Palomar college. This will open the door to being able to take exams that require a basic fire academy.

While you are still in the military try to get sent to specialty schools that relate to the fire service such as corpsman, hazardous materials technician etc. I understand that it may be too late for these since you have already announced your exit date.

Best of luck to you and stay safe,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    There are volunteer departments near San Diego and I think there is still a Federal Fire Department on the Navy Base there??
    Yes Jay is correct, there is a Federal Fire department located on 32nd St. in San Diego. Federal Fire is opening some more hiring soon, their site is https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/

There are also many different volunteer companies in the San Diego area. Mt. Laguna, Campo/Campo Res, San Pasqual, and many Reserve departments as well.

Forum Member

Go to campofire.org, great place to learn and get lots of hands on training. Plenty of ex military there too.
    "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand" Harry S. Truman, Thirty Third President, United States of America

Forum Member

I also just found this job opening. It's not for Federal Fire but it looks like an Industrial FF position for a shipyard that builds Navy Vessels:

http://www.resumeware.net/gdeb_rw/eb...start=1&co=nas

Permanently Removed

LA City likes prior military and constantly accepting applications, no academy required. Here is the HR listing.

Same with LA County Fire.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Thread Information