Thread: Memphis

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Memphis

Anyone have info on Memphis FD?

MembersZone Subscriber

For non certified folks, they have a current civil service list that they are currently using to hire off of.

For paramedics, they were recruiting quite heavy ( I was one of them) nationwide. It was an application as needed process. They are not currently taking apps, but you can fill out an interest card.

Cheers

Forum Member

They also pay well and run a lot. If you got you medic license, you got a good chance at being hired. I rode my clinicals there for EMT school and it was a lot of fun. Guys are cool and it's a great place. Go to there site at http://www.memphisfire.net/. Some of its kinda old, but its got a lot of good pictures and stuff to kinda see what they are all about.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks guys, I am originally from Ohio and currently have been basic ff Cert in Ohio, PA and SC but will have to get the complete FF1 and 2. However, I currently have a little over 2 years left in the Navy and am going back to school for the medical side of the house, while there the intent is to pick up at minimum my EMT certs and I am about 1 1/2 years away from finishing my B.A. in Fire Safety Engineering and Technology from EKU. I am hoping to get on at a department like Memphis, Nashville, Cinncinati, Charlotte upon completion of my service so any help you guys can give along the way is much appreciated.

Default PAT?/Mile

Anyone else get a letter for the December PAT/Mile?
    Wondering if I got another general letter for all those on the "list" or if i am getting into the March 2009 Class.

Forum Member

Default Memphis

Memphis is recruit heavy for Paramedics, they just brought 50+ Ohio folks here, will major bonuses. Otherwise they have a list going. They did new tryouts and created a new in 2007. The previous one was 1999 (which included myself).

Anyone hired now has to become a Paramedic within 3 years, thought by MFD.

As of a newsreport yesterday, MFD is only down 10 Paramedics now (we were down probably about 80 a year ago).

/Memphis Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

What would be the chances of hire if already Medic Certified.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    What would be the chances of hire if already Medic Certified.
    Right now, slim to none. They are not currently hiring, but are taking interest cards for a list.

Additionally, don't look for them to have the extreme shortage and mass hiring again anytime soon. Between the recent large and medic heavy recruit classes and the in-hous medic program, the hiring should remain moderately flat for a while.

But, the worst they can do is not hire you. Fill out the card and see what happens.

Forum Member

Default They do hire

Memphis continues to hire. They have basically had classes non-stop for about two years. They are at full compliment, but are on a program to hire folks in March/April and Oct/Nov each year. Of course, the economy can change things.

Right now the city would rather hire and pay salaries then overtime. It must look better on the books.

MembersZone Subscriber

I currently work for Memphis. I got hired back at the start of 2007. They have been hiring like crazy since my class. There are plans for a class to start next month or march. Other than that I think you are out of luck for a while. We have so many people now that some companies are riding with 5. Also, all the non-paramedic personnel they have hired are required to become a paramedic within 3 years of their appointment. Hang in there, maybe in a year or two they will have another hiring binge, but from the inside, it doesn't look too promising.

Forum Member

Default ff/p posted feb3

Memphis posted a hiring for firefighter paramedics on feb 3. You have to already have a paramedic license.you can go to cityofmemphis.org and follow the employment links. I

MembersZone Subscriber

Im an ohio firemedic that applied in february. I called HR for some info and she said this application process is for an October class in 09. Also she said its a first come first serve, so i got my app in early, hopefully i have a good shot. Supposed to get a phone call end of april if your app gets picked. But I dont know how many firemedics there looking for. Good Luck to all who applied...

Default Memphis

The hire letters are being mailed today, April 17th. Anybody heard anything else about how many they are looking to hire?

MembersZone Subscriber

i re-applied for fire recruit and received a letter today to take a battery of tests including a reading test and written test on july 10th. Then if you pass those tests an oral exercise will be given.. Has anyone taken these tests for memphis before? This is new to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok i need some help...

just talked to hr. i am a firefighter in michigan and applied for job in memphis. scheduled for test on july 10. i already am a ff/medic in mi. but it sounds like they are 2 seperate jobs according to hr. she said if i get hired i would move over to paramedic. but my main passion is for firefighting. will i even be in fires, or is this like detroit where the have the same name but are 2 seperate jobs?

i would like to know before i fly down for test.. thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Im a firemedic from ohio and im going down to.. I heard if you get hired, you will be hired as a firemedic. I also heard when you work a 24 hr shift half of the shift is on squad and the other half is on engine or truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if these tests are for the fall or spring class? And how many there looking to hire off these tests?

Forum Member

They are for the future classes. The earliest being next spring. They already have the people for the fall class. They usually have 4 classes of one list.

As someone said earlier, you work half EMS half fire. Expect to run a lot of medicals. This includes your time on the engine or truck.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Driving down thursday from OH to test friday... Good Luck to everyone else testing...

Forum Member

Im gonna be there on Friday as well.I'll be there at no later than 6 a.m since I only live like 10 minutes from the place.Dont know what to expect and am kinda nervous.My bro is currently doing the EMS side of his training(class #94) and told me to pray before I take the test lol.Good luck to everyone thats gonna be taking this test.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, i took the test yesterday and I feel I did pretty well. I am absolutely confused as to what is going on for the second part of testing next Wed??? I wish the physical agility test was next. ( if you were there you know what I mean). Is this next thing an interview? Business casual? I live in MI and it sucks to go back so quick...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfalicious View Post
    ok, i took the test yesterday and I feel I did pretty well. I am absolutely confused as to what is going on for the second part of testing next Wed??? I wish the physical agility test was next. ( if you were there you know what I mean). Is this next thing an interview? Business casual? I live in MI and it sucks to go back so quick...
    Yeah I think its going to be some type of interview.How they are going to interview a couple of hundred people in a day I dont know.My brother said they didnt have to do that when he got in.He said they were going to really make it hard for people to get in this time

Forum Member

I was also there yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised at the test they gave out. That test probably knocked half of the people you saw there out. The background check will knock quite a few out also.
    I'm with you on the PAT. I wish they'd give it first. Also heard from a reliable source that all new hires will have to pass the CPAT, but he doesn't believe that will go into effect until the next hiring process. From what I understand, the next test is an oral excersize, not a face to face interview. I don't know what xactly to expect either. I believe its sort of a ''what would you do in this situation?'' type of test.
    I define ''business casual' as a dress shirt and dress pants, no tie required. You'll see others show up in everything from shorts and tshirts to business suits.

Good luck! I'll be there Wed. morning too.

Tad

MembersZone Subscriber

ANY idea how many they may be hiring?

I am just in a huge jam with deciding to go back or not. i have to take a day off work and drive 20 hours in 2 days. not fun

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfalicious View Post
    ANY idea how many they may be hiring?

I am just in a huge jam with deciding to go back or not. i have to take a day off work and drive 20 hours in 2 days. not fun
    If you don't want the job, don't go back. Probably some local person would appreciate it.

Like the U S Marine Corps, Memphis is looking for a few good people.

Thread Information