Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FRC HID Lighting

We are currently building a new vehicle and can some one tell me how long it takes the 150w FRC Optimum 12volt lights to "warm up" to full power? I would like to use them for a brow light, but would like close to instant on ability

Aaron Hodge
    Roxbury CT

We have one on the front of our 2006 engine. You get usable light fairly quickly, but not full brightness for a good minute or two. However, given how fast the HID technology is improving, I wouldn't be surprised if the "light off" time of the newest stuff is even quicker. May be worth asking FRC.

If I think about it, the next time I'm at the station with that rig, I'll turn the thing on and time how long it takes.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Why do you want HID over 120V A/C? Just asking because we use FRC Focus 750 watt lights and the guys love them. Do you not have a hydraulic or PTO generator?

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    Why do you want HID over 120V A/C? Just asking because we use FRC Focus 750 watt lights and the guys love them. Do you not have a hydraulic or PTO generator?
    Good point, we opted for the HID brow light only because we went cheap on the unit and didn't have a hydraulic generator. Our prior unit has a standard 120V brow light, and I really do like the instant on ability, and it is MUCH less expensive than an 12V HID unit.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I should have mentioned we are building an ambulance on the ford E450. electrical loads will not allow 120v lights thru the inverter, and I can not find a suitable generator to run off the transmittion port of the new 2008-09 e-series

Forum Member

Whelen just came out with a new LED Brow light. We were considering one for a small rescue that we are putting together. Instant on and low amp draw, can also be hooked to a flasher and used as a traffic clearing light.

We have a pair of HIDs on a tanker so I just went out and timed them, at 20-30 sec they were about 1/2 power, at 45 sec I would say 3/4 power and by 1 min full power.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

How does the level/quality/amount of lighting from a 150watt 12V HID light compare with a conventional 500W 120V halogen?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5473 View Post
    I should have mentioned we are building an ambulance on the ford E450. electrical loads will not allow 120v lights thru the inverter, and I can not find a suitable generator to run off the transmittion port of the new 2008-09 e-series
    we run 2 500w quartz lights on a 2001 E-450 on a 1500w inverter without ANY issues. Also with the new Whelen lights ...as posted above.......VERY pricey, we looked at them for our rescue engine and was to cost prohibitive, so we stayed with the hydraulic generator and the instant on 120v quartz light. The lumens are comparable.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 10-26-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Fire Research 150W HID light

The Fire Research 150W 12 volt HID Light produces 11,250 Lumens of lighting. The warm up time is 30 to 40 seconds to reach full intensity. For comparison purposes a 500W 120VAC light produces 10,500 Lumens. Additional information is available at fireresearch.com or by contacting Fire Research Corporation at 800-645-0074.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    we run 2 500w quartz lights on a 2001 E-450 on a 1500w inverter without ANY issues. Also with the new Whelen lights ...as posted above.......VERY pricey, we looked at them for our rescue engine and was to cost prohibitive, so we stayed with the hydraulic generator and the instant on 120v quartz light. The lumens are comparable.
    The brow Whelen LED are too expensive so by a hy genset???

I priced the dual head light (as photo) recently and list was around $1300 (as I recall). Single head unit coming for less. Dual head draws only around 6amp so only need light guage electrical cable (can pull thru commerical cab A pillar (at least in theory)). Could solve problem of installing a brow light on a commerical cab.

Were buying 270amp alternators in our commerical cab and using little of it. 12V scene lights look like a good use for "wasted" power to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anybody actually seen the new Whelen LED brow lights? I think it's a good concept, but I need to see it in a real world situation before I go out and seriously consider them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    Has anybody actually seen the new Whelen LED brow lights? I think it's a good concept, but I need to see it in a real world situation before I go out and seriously consider them.
    Yes, They are showing at fire shows. I thought quite nice.

Contact your sales rep to see when/where. May have to get the Whelen regional rep for demo.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help.... here is what I came up with

2 Whelen Pioneer Brow lights
    2 Pioneers with recess mounts on the sides
    2 FRC 150 Optimum pole lights on the rear

Solves the amperage problem fFYI the 500w 120volt lights pull 50 amps DC each thru an inverter.

Aaron Hodge

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5473 View Post
    Thanks for all the help.... here is what I came up with

2 Whelen Pioneer Brow lights
    2 Pioneers with recess mounts on the sides
    2 FRC 150 Optimum pole lights on the rear

Solves the amperage problem fFYI the 500w 120volt lights pull 50 amps DC each thru an inverter.

Aaron Hodge
    Aaron,

We have had good results from the Havis Shield Magnafire HID lights. We currently have (10) on each one of our Engines and are specing more on our new rescue. Their service has been top notch also.

The 70W models only draw 6 amps each. Their light output is 6000 lumens, but they are plenty bright. They also have a 150W version that draws 13 amps and puts out 13,250 lumens.

http://www.havis.com/products/FLDLT_...D_FC-27746-788.

You are local to me so if you would like to come see them, please feel free to contact me via PM.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    The brow Whelen LED are too expensive so by a hy genset???

I priced the dual head light (as photo) recently and list was around $1300 (as I recall). Single head unit coming for less. Dual head draws only around 6amp so only need light guage electrical cable (can pull thru commerical cab A pillar (at least in theory)). Could solve problem of installing a brow light on a commerical cab.

Were buying 270amp alternators in our commerical cab and using little of it. 12V scene lights look like a good use for "wasted" power to me.
    no no.....already had that speced out for all the other scene lighting
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information