Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 AFG Grant Process

I know this may be a bit premature but our department did not receive a 2008 AFG award and would like to begin preparing for next years process. Has anyone heard or know when the application process will begin? Deadline?Will 2009 be the last year? Will we be able to apply for only operations money or only vehicle aquisition or both? Thank you for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    I know this may be a bit premature but our department did not receive a 2008 AFG award and would like to begin preparing for next years process. Has anyone heard or know when the application process will begin? Deadline?Will 2009 be the last year? Will we be able to apply for only operations money or only vehicle aquisition or both? Thank you for your help.
    Have you recieved a DJ for this year? The only ones to go out were the computer DJ's so far.

In any case, it's never premature to start planning for the next grant cycle. Haven't heard on the next application period, but you can figure it will be the March/April time frame as this year. AFG is authorized through 2010. According to our FPS, they are not expecting any significant changes for 2009 which means you should be able to apply for both (Ops & vehicle) again.

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    I'll be glad to review your previous attempt and give you an idea of where you went wrong. Give me a shout tomorrow at 800-992-0272 Ect 3111.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

2009 App period should be in March again, and we're authorized through 2010 currently. NVFC, IAFF, IAFC and the others are all working towards a renewal of the AFG legislation and I believe Congress is holding hearing or something like that in the April-May range next year. Don't see it having a problem getting passed for another 5 years at least.

Forum Member

Default so question.....

In 2005 and 2007 we were DJ'ed....in 2006 and 2008 awarded....

2005 it was my stupidity....asked for a catalog of items and not a specific project....learned to read the program guideance.

2006 i probably should of been denied. Got 18 sets of turn outs...20 sets of wildland gear.....10 SCBA's....1 TIC....10 portable radios....5 mobile radios....had excess funds to put head sets in engine, pagers, and did a smoke detector fire prevention.......$136k grant

2007 was denied in Feb of 2008, one of the late ones for $55k in RIT

2008 put in 2 grants 1 for the RIT at $46k and 1 for quick attack for $140K...was awarded the RIT in the 4th round reduced to $42k....almost completed with that grant....hoping for the other...........these were completed with BC79ers help....thank you Brian

So here is my question.....i have a delima of what to apply for in 2009.....currently we have mutual aid run our rescue calls with us cause we dont have the best set up for extrication, rescue, u name it in that field...we have a basic to small for its own good holmatro tool that is ancient and a little bit of cribbing.....we have a small rescue truck that is actually to small for our needs but will work for now......we also have a fire house built in 1984 that is not sprinklered, no scba refill station, no gas collection from the equipment, no generator, you get my drift here...........Do i apply for rescue equipment or modifications of facilities?

Forum Member

Look at which will is your biggest priority. The station modifications will have to reflect alot on how much your station is occupied, ie 24/7, as it is easier for a career department to get funded on this if there is someone there at the station all of the time, as well as if it is used as a shelter. The rescue tools will need to be backed up by the number of times that they are needed, and how long it takes your M/A to get to you. But Kurt and Brian can give you more specifics on both of those, I have been fortunate enough to get funding in the past for both the station and the tools, and it takes a lot of supporting info. The station also ask if you are in a historic dist and age of building. We are looking at a new station, and are having to include both the exhasut system and generator in the basic building along with a complete fire alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    We are looking at a new station, and are having to include both the exhaust system and generator in the basic building along with a complete fire alarm system.

Good point Derrick; pay attention here those of you considering building new stations. The new NFPA requirments for a fire station have to be built in and you will not be able to go to AFG and get a generator or VES. Also I am not going to be surprised to see VES out of the mix as a MOF this coming year. I think they are headed towards those "source capture" systems which are permanently mounted to the trucks.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't see that being an issue, building code is a different animal and only applies to major renovations and new construction. So few new stations being built in the whole country there's no way they can take those off the table. Ignores the majority of need since the greatest on both projects is existing buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Don't see that being an issue, building code is a different animal and only applies to major renovations and new construction. So few new stations being built in the whole country there's no way they can take those off the table. Ignores the majority of need since the greatest on both projects is existing buildings.
    Brian I was referring to "new construction" only, it does not apply to existing structures built pre-2003. As per program guidance:

NFPA standards regarding exhaust emissions (1500 §§ A.9.1.6) were adopted in 2002, therefore fire departments should have taken the standards into consideration when planning new structures. As such, any structures that were built subsequent to 2003 and that do not contain these safety features will receive the lowest consideration.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's what I thought you meant but didn't get that out of your post so wanted to make sure it was clear for the lurkers.

That's what I thought you meant but didn't get that out of your post so wanted to make sure it was clear for the lurkers.
    I did say "new construction" in the orginal post but I see your point and I should have quoted the PG as I did in the second post just for clarification. Thanks.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

There is also a $$$$$ limit for station modifications. Per the PG:

There are no monetary limits on the individual initiatives under this activity, but no applicant can request more than $100,000 per fire station under their authority. You may request funding for modifications for each station if you have multiple stations, up to the $100,000 per station limit, as long as the entire request does not exceed the Federal share limit.

Forum Member

Default hopeful news

2009 App period should be in March again, and we're authorized through 2010 currently. NVFC, IAFF, IAFC and the others are all working towards a renewal of the AFG legislation and I believe Congress is holding hearing or something like that in the April-May range next year. Don't see it having a problem getting passed for another 5 years at least.
    i wished they had made the extension attempt last year. after the election the priorities will be to those who endorsed the winning candidate. my gut tells me we may be a bit father down the list than we would like. i fear a gap after the 2010 end of AFG.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, I'm at a loss. I am the "grants writer" for two departments - one volunteer and one career. As far as I can tell, I'm not very good at this... I try to follow the guidance and continually get denied, while departments around me write grants with broken grammer, poor sentence structure and just seem disorganized and unprofessional, but yet, they were just awarded a truck, equipment and manpower...I've got a lot to learn. I was wondering if you could help...
    ps I'm also learning there are a lot of resources out there to help. When you reply, I will look for it here, but you can call me at 865-963-2488 as well - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by knunn182 View Post
    Kurt, I'm at a loss. I am the "grants writer" for two departments - one volunteer and one career. As far as I can tell, I'm not very good at this... I try to follow the guidance and continually get denied, while departments around me write grants with broken grammer, poor sentence structure and just seem disorganized and unprofessional, but yet, they were just awarded a truck, equipment and manpower...I've got a lot to learn. I was wondering if you could help...
    ps I'm also learning there are a lot of resources out there to help. When you reply, I will look for it here, but you can call me at 865-963-2488 as well - Kevin
    HHMMH, I work with Catons Chapel-Richardson Cove VFD for the past three years. Always successful.I'l call you today sometime in between teaching my smeinar here in Frisco.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information