Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

Default Qualification?

I was wondering how competitive I would be in the hiring process for SFFD. Here is brief example of my resume:

-Will graduate from UC Berkeley in Spring of 2009 with a B.A.
    -Prior work experience with the United States Secret Service
    -Participated in humanitarian work in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe with HIV/AIDS orphans
    -Fire Explorer for 2 years while in high school
    -College D-1 athlete at UC Berkeley

I plan on participating in my EMT training the moment I graduate. I wanted to go from Berkeley to paramedic school at UCLA but I cannot handle more debt. If I complete my EMT-1 training and my CPAT will I even be competitive? I am worried that I will not I feel like I have accomplished quite a bit while at school but I feel that I do not have a great deal of fire education. Any advice would be great!?

Cheers,

Jordan

Forum Member

rule of the list means she [ our chief ] can pick anyone/anywhere off the list.
    they will be basing much on:
    written test score
    paid experience
    education
    ca ffI and paramedic
    people who are currently working in the city on ambulances [ from our dept and the privates ]
    csfm classes.
    if this is the place where you would like to work then this will be the list to be on. like chief lepore stated above, we are looking to pick up between 250-350 over life of the list with the option of the fire exam unit to extend the list for additional 1 year. we normally have 48 in the tower at a time. you're looking at back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back towers.

Forum Member

Just called the HR office and they say that you or your representative may pick up and drop off for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rams32 View Post
    So it is OK for friends to pick up an app? If so, could they fax to me, I fill it out fax it back to my friend then he can hand deliver it(then I buy him a beer next time I see him ? Or does the origianal app have to be handed in?

thanks for any help.
    This is pretty irritating...if I can fly my happy @ss to SF and stay 2 days, 1 to pick up the app and 1 to return it, fly back that night and do it all between my work schedule you should be able to do it yourself too. Or not qualify to take the written. If I ruled the world...
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    This is pretty irritating...if I can fly my happy @ss to SF and stay 2 days, 1 to pick up the app and 1 to return it, fly back that night and do it all between my work schedule you should be able to do it yourself too. Or not qualify to take the written. If I ruled the world...
    Good thing you don't rule the world Bro!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by batt10 View Post
    written test score
    paid experience
    education
    ca ffI and paramedic
    people who are currently working in the city on ambulances [ from our dept and the privates ]
    csfm classes.
    if this is the place where you would like to work then this will be the list to be on. like chief lepore stated above, we are looking to pick up between 250-350 over life of the list with the option of the fire exam unit to extend the list for additional 1 year. we normally have 48 in the tower at a time. you're looking at back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back towers.
    Thanks. I'm guessing you work for SFFD already? Any idea on how many are expected to apply? With that Rule of List, do people from outside of California still have a chance? I'm flying out from Milwaukee. I have fire experience, plenty of certs, and will have my AA in Fire Science in a few weeks. However, none of the certs or experience are from CA.(Except the NREMT) Do they have a minimum passing score then before they move people on to the eligibility list?

MattyS... I know how you feel. It's tough flying around doing the testing. I saw you posting on the DC thread as well. I flew out there for that as well. There just isn't much to do here in the Midwest if you want a big city department. I tested with Milwaukee(my hometown) and did good, but they are having budget issues that are slowing the process. Chicago is the only other large city dept here and we all know it will be awhile before they test again.(I was too young for the 2006 test)

San Francisco sounds like an awesome place to work. I don't think I ever made a decision so quick to fly across the country. All of the flying will definitely be worth it though if I get the job. Good luck bro.
    Last edited by clark918; 12-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by batt10 View Post
    written test score
    paid experience
    education
    ca ffI and paramedic
    csfm classes.
    Just a little curious if prior military service holds any weight other then just the veterens preference points? Specifically former military firefighter. Also, I know that the IFSAC certs aren't good in CA, but would they still hold any weight?

Forum Member

Exclamation Just Apply

I agree with MattyS. If you want to work in SF or anywhere for that matter, YOU are going to have to bust your @ss and make sacrifices like everyone else. If that means flying, then fly, if it means take a train, then take a train. I dont care where you are testing. Don't expect people to do the leg work for you. Everyone of us that has a job remembers those long lines in the freezing cold, overnight, or the 8 hour drive for the Department that was hiring 1 Firefighter just for the shot at a job! SFFD is hiring 350! Who cares what certs you have, who cares where you live. You cant get a ticket to the dance unless you apply. So stop sweating all the small crap, put your app in like everyone else and do your best. Period. Let the Chief or HR or whoever worry about all that other crap. Every Firefighter has stories about sacrifices they made to get the job. Tests they failed, sleeping on sidewalks, bombing an Oral board or whatever. I guarantee you those are the things that will always make you appreciate this job when you get. Whether it's in SF or anywhere else. Just my .002

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post

MattyS... I know how you feel. It's tough flying around doing the testing. I saw you posting on the DC thread as well. I flew out there for that as well. All of the flying will definitely be worth it though if I get the job. Good luck bro.
    Clark, dont take my post as whining about the effort...more like whining about guys that want a hand-out. But yes, the price of a flight is chump change when it gets you to your professional and personal goals.

JUSTWIN,

I dont think that post can be put any better. I've paid a few dues, got on the job..but I've got my eyes on a select few places that are my "if I could, I would" Depts....and lucky for me the stars are lining up for those Dept.s.
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTWIN
    Every Firefighter has stories about sacrifices they made to get the job
    I learned that real quick...Im nothing special, every guy has done something to get where they are at...if I want it, I'll work for it.

There is alot of questions being asked....just get there, put in for it and go with the flow.

p.s. how bad am I gonna get my @ss kicked for calling the cable-cars "trolleys"?
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Yes, I'm very fortunate to be employeed here. They are expecting 15,000-20,000 applications to be handed out but I wouldn't let the numbers scare you. Just because that is what they are projecting doesn't mean thats how many will actually show up for an app or that will be how many will turn them in. It sounds like the exam unit is just preparing for the worse.
    With the "rule of the list", I would think you have just as good a chance of getting picked up as the next guy/gal. I don't know how the military preference points will factor in so I encourage you to call the exam unit so that way instead of only hearing rumors on here or other message boards, you will get the straight scoop from the horses' mouth. Good luck to all !
    Batt10

Forum Member

Default 4,000 applications picked up on the first day, 10,000 candidates are expected...

I happened upon an interesting news piece that was done by the ABC news affiliate in San Francisco.

Here's the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=6539690

In short, the SFFD is expected to hire ~250-350 new firefighters over the next few years as baby boomers start to retire. 4,000 applications have been picked up on December 3rd, the first day the applications were handed out. Chief Hayes-White expects 10,000 candidates total.

I hope this info. helps! I'll post additional information as I come across it.

Good luck.

Forum Member

just picked up an app on wednesday
    the line was around the block

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater316 View Post
    Just a little curious if prior military service holds any weight other then just the veterens preference points? Specifically former military firefighter. Also, I know that the IFSAC certs aren't good in CA, but would they still hold any weight?
    ifsac certs don't count for anything
    and yes their is a veterans preference but you have to fill out a seperate app for that with the city

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by furlofmalta View Post
    just picked up an app on wednesday
    the line was around the block
    Wow, I'm sure it will die down by next week, but I'm glad that I'm giving myself two days to pick it up. I'd love to be able to spend the whole week in SF and get it even earlier just in case, but the trip is already difficult enough. I have finals for my last semester of college and my job. I'm guessing I should be fine.

I have to catch a 12:30 flight home though on Thursday. Since it's the first day to hand in applications, has there been any word of an expected line? I might just end up running out there the night before to check. I have no problem waiting. I've slept on the street before to apply for a job, but if there ends up being no line, then I'd prefer the bed in the hotel that I already paid for. haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Wow, I'm sure it will die down by next week, but I'm glad that I'm giving myself two days to pick it up. I'd love to be able to spend the whole week in SF and get it even earlier just in case, but the trip is already difficult enough. I have finals for my last semester of college and my job. I'm guessing I should be fine.

I have to catch a 12:30 flight home though on Thursday. Since it's the first day to hand in applications, has there been any word of an expected line? I might just end up running out there the night before to check. I have no problem waiting. I've slept on the street before to apply for a job, but if there ends up being no line, then I'd prefer the bed in the hotel that I already paid for. haha
    I think the line was just pre 8am on wednesday but who knows?
    You should be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    Thanks for the fantastic response. I never said I wasn't willing to do that. Just threw a question out there...

Forum Member

Default Sffd

Do the firefighters ride the ambulance in San Fran or is it seperate?

Forum Member

Question

anyone pick up an app today? how was the line?

Forum Member

anyone heard of a test date yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just picked up my app today. Only one page! I'm getting there early on Thursday. My flight leaves to Milwaukee at 1240 and there's only one flight on my airline that day. So I don't want to miss it. The lady told me to have someone else hand it in for me, but I'm not sure I'm going to trust some random person I meet on the street. haha

I love this city though. Would be an awesome place to work.

Forum Member

ok so im from oregon, gonna be leaving to LA on the 13, saturday, last day to turn in the App! now can I pick up the application the same day I drop it off? plz if anyone has this info let me know! thank you. oh and do i need to turn in any kind of documents with the app?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyff View Post
    ok so im from oregon, gonna be leaving to LA on the 13, saturday, last day to turn in the App! now can I pick up the application the same day I drop it off? plz if anyone has this info let me know! thank you. oh and do i need to turn in any kind of documents with the app?
    Crazy, sorry to let you know but the last day to pick up the application is tomorrow, December 10. The turn in dates are specifically Dec. 11-13. You got one day left. Read the job announcement on the city's webpage.

Question Questions?

I picked up an app today and it is really short. Are we suppose to attatch our cover letter and resume with it or is that for later in the process? Also if someone was feeling nice I just updated my resume and wanted to see if someone would critique it for me. Send me an email to dareik@hotmail.com and I will forward it to you. Thanks

Forum Member

Since 100% of making it through the cut to the list is going to be on your written score what are you going to do to prepare. Don McNea Fire School has reviewed the SFFD information and determined it will be a FSI written test.

You can prepare in advance by checking out this program from FirePrep.com:

http://www.fireprep.com/san_francisc...hter_entr.html

Forum Member

Exclamation For the vets

I talked to a SFFD firefighter in my reserve unit last weekend and if you are applying for vet points, go print out the Vet preference form and ATTACH it to your application. I don't think you need your dd214 at this time but it might not be a bad idea to take a copy with you just in case; I am.

GL!

Thread Information