Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    This is pretty irritating...if I can fly my happy @ss to SF and stay 2 days, 1 to pick up the app and 1 to return it, fly back that night and do it all between my work schedule you should be able to do it yourself too. Or not qualify to take the written. If I ruled the world...
    Thanks for the fantastic response. I never said I wasn't willing to do that. Just threw a question out there...

Forum Member

Default Sffd

Do the firefighters ride the ambulance in San Fran or is it seperate?

Forum Member

Question

anyone pick up an app today? how was the line?

Forum Member

anyone heard of a test date yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just picked up my app today. Only one page! I'm getting there early on Thursday. My flight leaves to Milwaukee at 1240 and there's only one flight on my airline that day. So I don't want to miss it. The lady told me to have someone else hand it in for me, but I'm not sure I'm going to trust some random person I meet on the street. haha

I love this city though. Would be an awesome place to work.

Forum Member

ok so im from oregon, gonna be leaving to LA on the 13, saturday, last day to turn in the App! now can I pick up the application the same day I drop it off? plz if anyone has this info let me know! thank you. oh and do i need to turn in any kind of documents with the app?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyff View Post
    ok so im from oregon, gonna be leaving to LA on the 13, saturday, last day to turn in the App! now can I pick up the application the same day I drop it off? plz if anyone has this info let me know! thank you. oh and do i need to turn in any kind of documents with the app?
    Crazy, sorry to let you know but the last day to pick up the application is tomorrow, December 10. The turn in dates are specifically Dec. 11-13. You got one day left. Read the job announcement on the city's webpage.

Question Questions?

I picked up an app today and it is really short. Are we suppose to attatch our cover letter and resume with it or is that for later in the process? Also if someone was feeling nice I just updated my resume and wanted to see if someone would critique it for me. Send me an email to dareik@hotmail.com and I will forward it to you. Thanks

Forum Member

Since 100% of making it through the cut to the list is going to be on your written score what are you going to do to prepare. Don McNea Fire School has reviewed the SFFD information and determined it will be a FSI written test.

You can prepare in advance by checking out this program from FirePrep.com:

http://www.fireprep.com/san_francisc...hter_entr.html

Forum Member

Exclamation For the vets

I talked to a SFFD firefighter in my reserve unit last weekend and if you are applying for vet points, go print out the Vet preference form and ATTACH it to your application. I don't think you need your dd214 at this time but it might not be a bad idea to take a copy with you just in case; I am.

GL!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking for a good book to prepare you for the written examination, you should consider a book I wrote called Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam.
    My book goes beyond providing sample questions and answers. It teaches the reader the basic rules and principles behind the questions; in other words, how to solve each complex problem. The reasoning behind the questions is presented in clear, easily understandable language for readers who are new to the topics, or simply require a review.
    My book has very in-depth questions, answers and most importantly I explain how to do each problem and the end of EACH question.
    • Psychological questions
    • Mathematics – Word problems, geometry, adding, subtraction, multiplication)
    • Mechanical aptitude – (Gears, levers, pulleys and inclined planes)
    • Reading
    • Spelling
    • Language
    • Grammar
    • Perceptual ability
    • Spatial relations
    • Matching parts and figures
    • Map reading
    Here is a link to the book:
    http://www.aspiringfirefighters.com/written-exam.html

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringifrefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

They had things moving very quickly today. Got my application in before they were even supposed to start at 8:00 AM. Test should be sometime in March.

I really like this city. Definitely one of my favorites now. Unfortunately, it's time to go back to the freezing cold temperatures and snow in Milwaukee.

Forum Member

The info we recieved on Lotus Notes last night was that there might be a freeze on the hiring process, might be more brown outs of companies, and reduction in force of chiefs aides and civillian employees. More info will be known tomorrow. Big meeting with board of supervisors, L-798, general public, and who knows who else. It'll be at city hall at 1100 in RM 250. This is all due to the budget crisis. Keep fingers crossed but dont put all your eggs in 1 basket.
    Batt10

Forum Member

anyone care to share what they turned in (application + resume/cover letter etc)? I'm turning my app in tomorrow but I'm debating on if i should make a cover letter along with my resume, as i have heard cover letters are pointless in an entry level fire fighter job because they wont read it. thanks in advance. good luck to all the SFFD applicants!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Since 100% of making it through the cut to the list is going to be on your written score what are you going to do to prepare. Don McNea Fire School has reviewed the SFFD information and determined it will be a FSI written test.

You can prepare in advance by checking out this program from FirePrep.com:

http://www.fireprep.com/san_francisc...hter_entr.html
    capt bob, is it the 7th ed. or 8th ed. FSI Test?

I know you guys are focused in on SF Fire, but if you really want to relocate here, LA City and LA County are both constantly hiring for FIREFIGHTER.

Find it on their websites or hit me up in a PM.

Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-12-2008 at 09:15 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I know you guys are focused in on SF Fire, but if you really want to relocate here, LA City and LA County are both constantly hiring for FIREFIGHTER.

Bou
    I tested with LA City. I got dropped after the Initial Panel. I'll be calling soon to schedule an interview since I get another try one year after my last.(Feb) I recently applied with LA County, but of course they randomly pick who tests with a computer.

Definitely would like to work in California. I'm willing to do as much as I can, but I live in Milwaukee. With school and these tests, there's only so many that I can afford.

It actually cost me more than I thought with San Francisco since my plane broke down for 6 hours and I missed my connecting flight in Kansas City.

I just got a phone call yesterday though from DC Fire Dept to come out for orientation Jan 3 to start my Blue Book(background). So at least all of the traveling is finally going to be worth it. It's all out of my hands now with them since I only have backgrounds, medical, and psych(well if I lie about always beating up old ladies :-) ).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post

Bou
    Hmmm...maybe there's a reason why both LA's are always hiring.

Seriously though, they are great departments too. If you want a job in Califorinia without snow, test everywhere. If you are looking for a specific type of department, SF is more old school like Boston and New York. Down south they are your West Coast progressives. LA City is the home of task forces and LA County has its paramedic squads. They also both use the plastic metro helmets.

A good job in a big city is great anywhere you look.

Quote Originally Posted by ddsnff View Post
    Hmmm...maybe there's a reason why both LA's are always hiring.

They also both use the plastic metro helmets.

Ok- Here we go.

Both "LA's" have not always been hiring. This is some what new to them. They are they now accepting applications on a constant basis. Because they are both very big and expereincing a high retirement rate. It is just easier to have a constant open position ran vs. the constant off and on.

As for the helmets worn, give me a break. Does the department's issued PPE really dictate whether you should work there or not?

Folks- We're talking becoming REAL Professional Firefighters here. Not "non-paid" country-bumpkin, blue light time. Give me pay, benefits, paid vacation, good equipment, 3% @50 retirement and job security instead of letting something like that be the final factor. And besides, if you havent worn it, dont knock it. There might be a reason.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-12-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Member

Default Woot

Got the app in today. The line was much longer due to the fact that there was only a 3 day window to turn in...me in my infinite wisdowm wore shorts! Good luck to everyone, i'll update with any info I gain during the hiring process.

Thread Information