Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

Smile Lieutenant Exam

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    I recently conduted a class for 100 of their firefighters who were taking the upcoming Lieutenant's exam. I found them to be incredibly saavy in regards to tactics and strategy. They certainly pride themselves on having their own traditional culture.
    As a group I was extremely impressed with SFFD. They see a ton of fire and are extremely competent. They are not as excited with EMS.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Chief,
    A good friend of mine was in your class. He passed his Lieutentant's exam and is the PA for SFFD. He is the one who is springboarding me into this career. Small world!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Houston we have a problem. Rumor on the street is there were 8,600 applications handed in. Some cadidates picked up applications and copied them to hand out to their friends. The originals were special paper so they could be scanned. The copies won't scan so they might be thrown out.

www.eatstress.com

Fire "Captain Bob"
    This statement is true! They actually were rejecting copied applications upon submission. Photo copies were not allowed and probably was your first test to see if you can follow directions (just my thought).

Does anyone know what the San Francisco FD work schedule is? Are they working 24/48, 48/96? 9's and 15's like FDNY or another variation of days and nights? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Forum Member

So the last rumor i heard was the test was in March and there would be no hiring until next year...Anyone have anything better?
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by justvisiting View Post
    Does anyone know what the San Francisco FD work schedule is? Are they working 24/48, 48/96? 9's and 15's like FDNY or another variation of days and nights? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Definately not 48/96 and I think a 48 hour work need, not a 56.

Forum Member

48.6?

But they're rumblings about changing it because of budget cuts.

Forum Member

48.7 hour work week

31 day tour

Hope this helps.

ddsnff,
    Are they working 24's or days and nights? If they are working 24's is it 1 on 3 off 1 on 2 off?
    Thanks again for your help.

Forum Member

Default Testing in March...

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the testing for SFFD in March for H-2 Firefighters. Everyone was told that an information packet would be handed out in February, and with the month being more than half way over, nothing has arrived in the mail.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb1983 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the testing for SFFD in March for H-2 Firefighters. Everyone was told that an information packet would be handed out in February, and with the month being more than half way over, nothing has arrived in the mail.

Any thoughts?
    After talking to a few of the fire-medics up at Cal Pac the other night, it sounds like the test may not happen until April, if at all.

Again, this is one of those "they said" moments, so please take it with a grain of salt.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you read their website, you'd find your updates there...

"The San Francisco Fire Department will issue official H-2 examination preparation materials to all qualified applicants approximately 30 days prior to the written exam, which is tentatively scheduled to be administered in Spring 2009."

Hopefully it still happens...

Forum Member

Waiting in Suspense...Hopefully they do not decide to hire during Wildland fire season.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Per the Fire Exam Unit, which I encourage all of you to call so that way you don't get caught up in the rumors, they told me it was postponed til May but now its postponed indefinately due to budget.
    The Fire Exam Unit will officially disband July 1st, 09 at which time HRO will take over the fire testing process. Could we still test on time in the spring, sure, but with the way things are going [ talk of shutting down companies, T.I., etc ] I wouldn't hold your breath. We need firemen no doubt about it, but its not up to the guys in the fire house to make those decisions. As far as us going to a 56 / hr work week, they've talked about that since the 70's. Don't see it happening, but then again what do I know ? I only work there 9 days a month.
    Batt10

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by batt10 View Post
    Per the Fire Exam Unit, which I encourage all of you to call so that way you don't get caught up in the rumors, they told me it was postponed til May but now its postponed indefinately due to budget.
    The Fire Exam Unit will officially disband July 1st, 09 at which time HRO will take over the fire testing process. Could we still test on time in the spring, sure, but with the way things are going [ talk of shutting down companies, T.I., etc ] I wouldn't hold your breath. We need firemen no doubt about it, but its not up to the guys in the fire house to make those decisions. As far as us going to a 56 / hr work week, they've talked about that since the 70's. Don't see it happening, but then again what do I know ? I only work there 9 days a month.
    Batt10
    Thanks for the update. Even though it's very unfortunate news to hear...

Forum Member

There are a bunch of stellar folks in the exam unit. Just being nice and talking goes a long way. I was going to put the same information on the site for folks. Thanks BC10

Forum Member

You guys will know when we actually administer the written due to the fact the Department will be offering a study guide. Not sure what that guide will consist of but they will offer it before the test. Yea, it blows we aren't doing the test sooner, but its a perfect time to fatten your resume and who knows, the way the city magically comes up with money occassionally, test can be put off tomorrow and then all of a sudden its back on.
    Batt10

Forum Member

Updated info regarding Fire Exam Unit. I originally said they would be disbanded July1st but per our inter-department mail I read 2 days ago, they will be disbanded this coming Monday the 23rd if I read it right. Doesn't really change anything right now as far as testing but want to make sure you guys have latest info. Any thing new comes out I'll rely it on here.
    Batt10

Thumbs up

Thanks for keeping us updated Batt10!

Forum Member

For what it's worth, just heard from the chief today. The test has been delayed from its initial April/May date. She does want the test to go on, but now has to ask city HR to do it, since the testing unit has been moved under them. She's hoping they get it approved and hold the test as soon as possible, maybe sometime in mid-summer. Obviously this all depends on the ever changing budget situation.

Forum Member

Smile

Copy that about the worst possible time for me. The Fed owns my summers right now, but you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully I am not in some wierd place come testing time.

Forum Member

Just got an email the other day from HR. Said they got my application and are processing it. Sounds like HR will be having about as much fun as swallowing a claw hammer to get through the pile of applications.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Just got an email the other day from HR. Said they got my application and are processing it. Sounds like HR will be having about as much fun as swallowing a claw hammer to get through the pile of applications.
    Well that's good. Any progress is good progress. Thanks for the update!

MembersZone Subscriber

I got mine a few weeks ago.(on Feb 27) So I guess that the progress is moving VERY slowly.

Forum Member

Probably have a lot of applications in the pile. 200 people with last name A..350 with the last name B.. So on through Z..I don't envy HR folks. I have it easy compared with them. The little HR stuff I know drives me insane!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    Probably have a lot of applications in the pile. 200 people with last name A..350 with the last name B.. So on through Z..I don't envy HR folks. I have it easy compared with them. The little HR stuff I know drives me insane!
    That's what I think as well. My last name starts with C which is probably why I got mine awhile ago.

Thread Information