Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Ok- Here we go.

Both "LA's" have not always been hiring. This is some what new to them. They are they now accepting applications on a constant basis. Because they are both very big and expereincing a high retirement rate. It is just easier to have a constant open position ran vs. the constant off and on.

As for the helmets worn, give me a break. Does the department's issued PPE really dictate whether you should work there or not. Give me pay, benefits and job security instead of letting something like that be the final factor. And besides, if you havent owrn it, dont knock it. There might be a reason.

Of course hear is important. I only take a job with black Morning Pride turnouts. Anything else means you are a bad department.

Actually when I visted a few LA City fire houses before my interview, they seemed to be some of the happiest firefighters ever. Most loved their job and the department. They were all more than happy to help me out with the interview. I'd love to work for any of the three mentioned departments.(LAFD, LAcoFD, or SFFD)

One thing I loved about LAFD was the fact that there is so much to do. They don't have just heavy rescues. They have USAR, swiftwater, wildfire, dive, helicopter, hazmat, and more. I thought that was interesting.

Last, these California firefighters really do get treated well. I know it's expensive, but so it New York City. SFFD starts at about $70k and FDNY at about $30k. If I get on with DC I start at $44k and it's about the same cost of living as LA, maybe a little less than SF.

When it comes to working in California, please do not let the "cost of living" Boogie Man scare you.

It is very possible to live here, buy a nice house and have a comfortable life. Trust me, thousands of paid FFs do it here every month.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    When it comes to working in California, please do not let the "cost of living" Boogie Man scare you.

It is very possible to live here, buy a nice house and have a comfortable life. Trust me, thousands of paid FFs do it here every month.
    From what I've been told by a lot of firefighters at that they live VERY well in CA. Whereas east coast guys don't get paid very well and struggle a little more. That's definitely one advantage I see to being a CA firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will jump in on this one. California firefighters have some of the best pay and benefit packages in the country. Most of our firefighters do not have a "second" job as they make plenty of $$ working overtime.

The cities have learned that it's cheaper to hire us back at time and one half, than to hire a new employee.

The most prevalent retirement is with CalPers. This privately owned retirement system is one of the most solvent retirement plans in the world. Depending on the department, firefighters retire at 90% of their salary. In my department's case, a 30 year firefighter retires at 90%.

Many California firefighters are paid white collar wages for a blue collar job. While this does not apply to all fire departments, it cerainly applies to many of the major california departments like San Francisco, LA County, LA City, Sacramento, Long Beach, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, Torrance.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Does anybody have an idea as to how many people applied for the written?? I have heard around 10,000 but that could just be rumor or speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by nomex82 View Post
    Does anybody have an idea as to how many people applied for the written?? I have heard around 10,000 but that could just be rumor or speculation.
    The city of Oakland FD just had over 10,000 apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would guess that the number 10,000 will be on the low side. I would bet the number to be much higher.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I heard about some people though, they just applied because it was a city job and liked the pay. So these people were eligible o apply and probably thought the GED or diploma was all that is needed. However, if you make i to backgrounds, you need your EMT and CPAT. So my guess is that several don't have EMT completed.

Forum Member

Default Nt

Buddy of mine at SFFD said that 40,000 online interest cards were filled out. Not sure how many actually signed up to take the test; my guess would be far less.

Forum Member

I just read an article on ABC7 news, one of our local Bay Area news channel's. It said on there that they handed out 14,000 applications. Who knows how many of those actually got handed in. I know of buddies that grabbed 5 and only used 1. I'm sure there will be quite a few apps. out there that never got turned in. Also, people wont show for the written and quite a few will fail it too. Numbers might not be as astronomical as everybody thought.

Forum Member

Default 8,600 Apps

I just got off the phone with a family friend that works at HQ in The City. From the horses mouth (Exam Unit), they had 8,600 applications turned in. They handed out 12,000-13,000 applications. Pretty amazing. Everyone was expecting FDNY type numbers on this one (20,000). Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info JUSTWIN. That's encouraging news!

Forum Member

i grabbed 2 but only turned in 1. They told me when i turned my app in that i will get something in the mail sometime in feb for testing in march. how is everyone preparing for the written? i was thinking of getting a study guide from one of the vendors on here. can anyone vouch for any of those?

Also good luck to all the applicants on this board, i hope everyone that turned in an app gets hired from here...

-Brandon
    Last edited by VallejoFireDogg; 07-10-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

Houston we have a problem. Rumor on the street is there were 8,600 applications handed in. Some cadidates picked up applications and copied them to hand out to their friends. The originals were special paper so they could be scanned. The copies won't scan so they might be thrown out.

www.eatstress.com

Fire "Captain Bob"

I have a lot of friends that turned in, "Copied" apps, tough luck. This will be a competitive test, with all the budget problems currently projected.

There will be an awfully large amount of swimmers jumping into a very small swimming pool! Good luck, San Francisco is a fantastic city to live and work in...unless you don't like dealing with homeless.

Smile Lieutenant Exam

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    I recently conduted a class for 100 of their firefighters who were taking the upcoming Lieutenant's exam. I found them to be incredibly saavy in regards to tactics and strategy. They certainly pride themselves on having their own traditional culture.
    As a group I was extremely impressed with SFFD. They see a ton of fire and are extremely competent. They are not as excited with EMS.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Chief,
    A good friend of mine was in your class. He passed his Lieutentant's exam and is the PA for SFFD. He is the one who is springboarding me into this career. Small world!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Houston we have a problem. Rumor on the street is there were 8,600 applications handed in. Some cadidates picked up applications and copied them to hand out to their friends. The originals were special paper so they could be scanned. The copies won't scan so they might be thrown out.

www.eatstress.com

Fire "Captain Bob"
    This statement is true! They actually were rejecting copied applications upon submission. Photo copies were not allowed and probably was your first test to see if you can follow directions (just my thought).

Does anyone know what the San Francisco FD work schedule is? Are they working 24/48, 48/96? 9's and 15's like FDNY or another variation of days and nights? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

So the last rumor i heard was the test was in March and there would be no hiring until next year...Anyone have anything better?
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Quote Originally Posted by justvisiting View Post
    Does anyone know what the San Francisco FD work schedule is? Are they working 24/48, 48/96? 9's and 15's like FDNY or another variation of days and nights? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Definately not 48/96 and I think a 48 hour work need, not a 56.

Thread Information