+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

Forum Member

Default nothing yet

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    That's what I think as well. My last name starts with C which is probably why I got mine awhile ago.

My last name starts with H and I haven't heard anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

FortechFEO & clark918 any testing information on the letters you got from HR?

My last name starts with "L" and I haven't heard anything.

Have any applicants with last names "H" through "Z" received confirmation letters from SFFD HR? Thanks!
    Last edited by dlatorre; 03-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope. Here's the email:

Firefighter
    Job Bulletin Number#CBT-00H2-053650

Dear XXXXXX,

We have received and are processing your application.

If you have any questions regarding the application and selection process, please contact us at: CCSFjobs@sfgov.org.

Thank you for your interest in employment with the Department of Human Resources.

Department of Human Resources

Forum Member

My wife's last name starts with and H and nothing yet on her end. I am in the B's.

No testing information just a hey want you to know we processed your information!

Thanks
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Maybe it is only going to be a two person test? Sweet...I'm only kidding! I hope you all get your notices to test. I like the competition. May the best person win. Probably the aerobics instructor from the local 24hr fitness that put in on a whim with no fire experience.

Stupid humor, but it one of those days!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

AHH! My last name starts with an L. Once you get yours 'FortechFEO', mine should be close. What do you guys think? By the end of summer, I will only have two fire science classes, EMT, and CPAT. Basically the minimum. Still going to get more done, but figured I should apply for my city! Maybe I can blow away the written, lol

Forum Member

Smile

That is one of the things with Municipal hiring that is good or bad depending on who you are. They do not look at quals until late in the game and some departments actually like people with a min of training. So they can teach you their way and you do not have the bad habits from other experiences. A good portion of the time someone that has previous rank and experience has a hard time adjusting to the fact that they are at the bottom of the ladder again. A good example is myself. I carry some pretty heavy wildland qualifications. I could possibly be in a position to take orders from someone with a lot less experience and qualifications than what I have. How I deal with this type of question in and interview and during probational status would most likely make or break me. If you have none of this stuff it is not a worry. Though talking with some people in San Fran they are looking for solid well rounded people with education, training, and experience. So fire science degrees, State fire marshal classes, and on the job time can be important. If you are having trouble finding a Vol. department in your area. Look for ambulances and use your emt. 80% of calls in municipal departments are EMS related. I know that this post is a contradiction it just depends on where you want to work and figuring out what they want from you.

Forum Member

I already got mine..My wife has not gotten hers yet. Her last name starts with an H. I'll let you know if I hear anything. She may not even tell me about it, because she applied under pressure from some friends. She is getting out of the fire/medic game. So she may just delete it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up! I was a bit afraid cause of my minimal education/experience, but you took that off me. I definitely see what you mean about having little or no experience/education.

Yeah, let me know about your wife, that'll be great. That day to take the test is getting closer and closer. Good luck on it and your future!

Forum Member

FortechFEO-
    Have you recieved a test date and time, or just confirmation about your application?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    My wife's last name starts with and H and nothing yet on her end. I am in the B's.

No testing information just a hey want you to know we processed your information!

Thanks
    he said that a couple post up..

MembersZone Subscriber

As much as I'd love to work for SFFD, and it being one of my dream departments, it looks like I'll be dropping out of the process. I start probie school on 4/27 with DCFD.(another dream department) So unless the test is delayed a year or so, I most likely won't be able to make the trip.

Good luck to everyone else!

Forum Member

Good luck Clark! So it is one person test. Sweet. I have not recieved any testing information yet from SFHR. I think the fire exam unit just handed 8,000+ apps over and said good luck. I just recieved a "we got your application confirmation." Which was sweet since I used a proxy that is a medic there to deliver the app. I was hearing rumors about a month ago that they only pick like 3,000 apps out of the number they recieve and process them for the test, but that seemed ludacris to me. I asked about it since it was someone out of SFFD that told me that and I was told that it was ludacris by HR. Everyone that got and app in and has a card saying your app was accepted should be getting a test date when they decide to fire off the test. I'm just hoping I am not on a fire someplace when the test happens. Like Batt10 has said before. If you are feeling squirrely and have questions. Contact HR and ask questions. If your nice and not asking them what questions are on the test. They will probably give you anwsers or at least give you a hint.

Forum Member

Any more good news folks?

Forum Member

nah still waiting for confirmation of my application

Forum Member

Wife too. No word on her end.

Forum Member

Take it with a grain of salt, but the latest rumblings internally are that each of the applications had a unique identifier (i.e. the bar code along the left margin, similar to a scantron). Any applications that were found to be duplicates after scanning during processing were thrown-out. So, if your application was a photocopy of a blank one that someone else picked-up, it may not have been considered. This is why the department required applicants to pick-up the application in-person on a set number of days back in December.

Again, just passing the info along, but this may be a reason some of those who applied haven't heard back. Best of luck to those in the process.

Forum Member

good thing I went in to get mine
    Im still waiting, I hope they don't somehow pass mine .. heh anything can happen..

Permanently Removed

How many openings do they have. I heard they filled a lot of LTs postions leaving a whole lot of FF jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    How many openings do they have. I heard they filled a lot of LTs postions leaving a whole lot of FF jobs.
    Yes, you are definitely correct there Bou. With the LT promotion, plus the previously anticipated openings they are looking to hire upwards of 200 from this list, primarily FF-EMT's with a few paramedics sprinkled-in here and there.

Forum Member

What amount we need to hire and the amount we will be hiring are 2 totally different things.
    The medics we will be hiring will more than likely come from the single function side of the department.
    Batt10

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by batt10 View Post
    What amount we need to hire and the amount we will be hiring are 2 totally different things.
    The medics we will be hiring will more than likely come from the single function side of the department.
    Batt10
    Hi Chief.

The test everyone is waiting on this thread is for H-2 (firefighter/EMT). The issue of hiring medics is not even on the table. Correct me if a am wrong, but any firefighter/medic (H-3 level ???) hiring will have to be done with a totally separate test that has not even been talked about yet. I guess they could also do a promotional test for the single function people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddsnff View Post
    The issue of hiring medics is not even on the table. Correct me if a am wrong, but any firefighter/medic (H-3 level ???) hiring will have to be done with a totally separate test that has not even been talked about yet.
    Taken from the original job announcement:

"3) Conditional Offer of Appointment: Applicants who pass the CPAT and the Background Investigation (including possession of a valid California EMT1 certificate) will be eligible to be considered for an offer of appointment conditional on passing the Departmentís medical examination. Selections for conditional offers of appointment will be made by the Chief of Department. Criteria for selections for conditional offers of appointment will include the following:

* Score on the Written Test

* Certificates: Firefighter 1, Paramedic

* Fire Science / Fire Technology coursework and degrees

* State Fire Marshal courses

* Work experience as a Firefighter, Paramedic, EMT"

Not to say it is a requirement, but according to this having a paramedic cert or work experience as a paramedic may be considered as a factor for a conditional offer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBhoy View Post
    Taken from the original job announcement:

"3) Conditional Offer of Appointment: Applicants who pass the CPAT and the Background Investigation (including possession of a valid California EMT1 certificate) will be eligible to be considered for an offer of appointment conditional on passing the Departmentís medical examination. Selections for conditional offers of appointment will be made by the Chief of Department. Criteria for selections for conditional offers of appointment will include the following:

* Score on the Written Test

* Certificates: Firefighter 1, Paramedic

* Fire Science / Fire Technology coursework and degrees

* State Fire Marshal courses

* Work experience as a Firefighter, Paramedic, EMT"

Not to say it is a requirement, but according to this having a paramedic cert or work experience as a paramedic may be considered as a factor for a conditional offer.
    Sorry to confuse anyone, but the (hopefully) upcoming test will be for H-2. So while paramedic experience may be used as hiring criteria, your job title, if hired, will be Firefighter/EMT.

I was saying that to work and be paid as a Firefighter/Paramedic would be another testing process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddsnff View Post
    Sorry to confuse anyone, but the (hopefully) upcoming test will be for H-2. So while paramedic experience may be used as hiring criteria, your job title, if hired, will be Firefighter/EMT.

I was saying that to work and be paid as a Firefighter/Paramedic would be another testing process.
    This, I believe, is correct.
    Also, word from a San Francisco Firefighter, the written test will be in August. Can Anyone confirm this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information