Like Tree3Likes

Thread: San Francisco FD question.

Forum Member

Post San Francisco FD question.

Entry-level H-2 Firefighter

Entry-level H-2 Firefighter is not currently open for filing. The Department anticipates posting the job announcement for H-2 Firefighter in November 2008, and administering the written test in March/April 2009. The job announcement will contain information about the job, eligibility requirements, how to apply, the selection process, etc. It is projected that EMT-1 certification and Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certification will be required at some point following the administration of the written test.

This is straight from SFFD's web site. I'm particularly interested in this last part, i'm grabbing CPAT this month and already have EMT-B, is EMT-1 going to be basic or intermediate??

Forum Member

SFFD ran their own CPAT on past tests on Treasure Island. Like many agencies maybe they've put the burden on the candidate to secure their own CPAT.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Bump

Anyone know if NREMT-B is the equivalency of the California EMT-1 cert?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm calling and asking about that Monday smoke eater.

Anyone know if they use residency points? It doesn't say they do on their announcement so I'm hoping not. Without those or an interview, I'm guessing out-of-staters might have a decent chance huh? If they say they will accept my EMT, I'll be flying out from Milwaukee to apply in a couple weeks.

Forum Member

Last test I saw relatives, friends, members of engine and truck crews show up and pick up applications for those who couldn't make it.

The last written threw a lot of candidates last time. It was around 60% psych based questions.

Last edited by CaptBob; 11-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

According to their job announcement it says there's only written and background. I'll ask when I call.

Forum Member

Default application

if anyone from the southern cali area is going to be in SF to get an app please PM me. I would like to obtain one but dont know if i will be able to get the time off of work

Forum Member

Yeah Clark918 If you could let us know what you find out that would be awesome! I looked at the announcement yesterday and was suprised that there was no oral interview???

Forum Member

Default Capt Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Last test I saw relatives, friends, members of engine and truck crews show up and pick up applications for those who couldn't make it.

The last written threw a lot of candidates last time. It was around 60% psych based questions.

Capt. Bob -
    Regarding the written, what types of psych questions? Do you mean scenario type questions or ones like the Minnesota test?

Forum Member

Yes. E.M.T-B is the same as E.M.T-1. I am certified in a couple different counties here in the Bay Area. One license says "b" the other says "1". It does not mean Intermediate. Hope that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a world class fire department. Word on the street is that they are planning to hire 350 firefighters over the next 3-4 years. Good luck in the process.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, that's a lot of open spots.

Chief, do you know a lot of SFFD firefighters? How do they like it out there? Are there quite a few out-of-staters? Or does the city only stick with locals?

Also is this the first time that they require EMT and CPAT to be done on your own by the background phase? If so, how many applicants would be expected?

And this is for any one from any place in CA. I have my NREMT-B and my WI EMT-B. Would the NREMT be good enough? I'm calling on Monday to check either way so I don't fly out there to apply for nothing.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Default sffd

Expect to be competing against at least 10,000+ people.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know a specific date for the written?

Forum Member

Clark. I'm born and raised here in the S.F Bay Area and I work for a F.D. right across the bridge from S.F. My Captain and three of our Firefighters are former SFFD Firefighters. They just recently came to us. I have some good insight. Let me know if you want/need any info. Open invite to anyone else as well. I hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently conduted a class for 100 of their firefighters who were taking the upcoming Lieutenant's exam. I found them to be incredibly saavy in regards to tactics and strategy. They certainly pride themselves on having their own traditional culture.
    As a group I was extremely impressed with SFFD. They see a ton of fire and are extremely competent. They are not as excited with EMS.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

They are not as excited with EMS.

But Chief, who really is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairborn View Post
    They are not as excited with EMS.

But Chief, who really is?
    If there was no pay incentive I'm pretty sure paramedics would cease to exist.

Forum Member

To my memory, the last large H2 test SFFD gave around 4,000 signed up, 1,600 went to the oral (looks like theyíve dropped the oral this time) and after the CPAT around 600 made the list.

Like many large cities when you see they have rule of the list they can hire anywhere and anyone they want. That should be a big clue for anyone wanting to spend a lot of time, treasure and energy trying to make it through the maze at what has been said to be the most liberal city in the nation. This will present itself in hiring and future promotions. Medics will still have some advantages.

Donít get me wrong. I live in the bay area and love San Francisco. I'm 4th generation San Franciscan. My descendent came around the horn in a tall sailing ship to get to SF before the transcontinental railroad was built over the Sierras. When I was testing there were too many hoops to jump through to get on SF.

I was in the city recently and up the street came the alley cats squad. For a brief moment I caught the eye of one of the younger firefighters and we both knew he was living the dream. Thatís hard to beat! Would I take the test knowing what I do? Yep.

SF has the same large city problems but in SF the inmates are in charge of the insane asylum. Breaks my heart.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ticonderoga,
    I disagree with you. I still maintian my Paramedic license. I worked too hard to get it. While I love being a BC assigned to Operations, one of the best times in my career was being assigned to the "Rescue" with a good partner. We had more fun than you can imagine. I really do miss it. I just got tired of being up all night long. Nine years was enough for me.....

There is nothing like a good fire to keep morale high, however, fire departments that do not provide ALS service will always struggle. As a general rule, departments with Paramedics are much more visible in the community. This translates into better staffing and pay.

Here is a barometer of how the community views the fire department:
    When someone finds out that you are a firefighter, how often do they ask if you are also a Paramedic?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Never around here. But if I offer it up they always respond, Oh you're a Paramedic too? Like it's an after thought. I too love being a Paramedic, but like you Chief I am getting burnt out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Ticonderoga,
    I disagree with you. I still maintian my Paramedic license. I worked too hard to get it. While I love being a BC assigned to Operations, one of the best times in my career was being assigned to the "Rescue" with a good partner. We had more fun than you can imagine. I really do miss it. I just got tired of being up all night long. Nine years was enough for me.....

There is nothing like a good fire to keep morale high, however, fire departments that do not provide ALS service will always struggle. As a general rule, departments with Paramedics are much more visible in the community. This translates into better staffing and pay.

Here is a barometer of how the community views the fire department:
    When someone finds out that you are a firefighter, how often do they ask if you are also a Paramedic?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Chief I have to respectfully disagree with your statement about paramedics. Everywhere I have seen the ALS thing integrate has been awful. It certainly didn't affect staffing, and I have never been asked if I was so much as a first responder much less a paramedic?!

Forum Member

So it is OK for friends to pick up an app? If so, could they fax to me, I fill it out fax it back to my friend then he can hand deliver it(then I buy him a beer next time I see him ? Or does the origianal app have to be handed in?

thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber

So what's this "Rule of List"?

Thread Information