Forum Member

Default Weldon Diamondback LED

Any opinions? I havent seen them in person but they look like a really bright and standout light from a few videos Ive seen. Aside from the Diamondback, Weldon doesnt really offer anything special so I would be inclined to use the Diamondbacks along with another manfuacturers light bar like Whelen, Code 3 or Federal. Are these significantly more expensive than comparable LED products?

http://www.sirennet.com/diamondback-builder.html

Power Arc's look to be increasing in popularity in my area but I dont like the thought of those little motors 15yrs down the road.
    Last edited by GFPD2005; 10-27-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Forum Member

Contact your regional rep for Akron Brass for a demo. Weldon is a division of Akron now and your rep should have something to show you. I looked into the Diamondback last year but I don't remember what the cost was.

One advantage is being able to replace the individual LEDs. I know that they are supposed to last for just about infinity but we have some Code 3's that half the LEDs aren't working in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink have em

we just got a new ambulance with all these diamondback lights, the company programmed them funky and order to reprogram we needed to remove each light to reprogram, find a wireless device and could not get program, thay did sell us a keychain size programmer to change flash patters, suppost to have it this week, suppost to be same price as whelen and just as good or better, time will tell, they are bright.

Forum Member

NFPA 1901 states the each zone must be from one manufacturer. You can't mix and match unless you can get someone to sign off on an engineered and tested lighting package.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    NFPA 1901 states the each zone must be from one manufacturer. You can't mix and match unless you can get someone to sign off on an engineered and tested lighting package.
    You know that right there is funny..... You can have 2 light heads or light bars from 2 different manufactureres that put out the exact same FPM, Candela Seconds per min... BUT if you have a front bar from mfg 1 you can have rear upper zone lights from mfg 2..... even tho they tested EXACTLY the same. I can understand some "standard" on lighting but come on now. If there the same why should it matter?
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    NFPA simply does not state that. It gives criteria to meet and several ways to meet it. 1) The body builder can certify that the system is installed within the guidelines of the light builder and rely on their reports and testing, 2) The body builder can use the light manufacturer's claimed output of each individual light and certify that the system meets the specs as installed, or 3) do an actual measurement of the system. But there is no place in NFPA that says you must use lights from only one manufacturer.

The light makers want you to believe it and it makes the builder's job a lot easier, but it simply is not true. You should be wary of whoever told you this because they don't know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by firepundit; 10-28-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Clarified body builder vs. light maker responsibilities

Forum Member

Default LED's

NFPA aside..... We just fnished Pre-Build on a new ladder, and decided to go LED. Seeing the vast improvements and varaiations in quality and effectiveness "on the street" we decided to meet with and talk to a few mfgs. We spoke with Code 3, Whelen and Federal. On all 3 occasions they brought their reginal demo truck to the station showed us what they had to offer and explained why they did the things they did. We then walked all around the demo unit with LED's on looking from different angles and from different distances. We even went as far as having some of video tape it. After meeting with all 3, we watched the video's of all 3 back to back, so that we could compaire them next to one another, to help get an idea. Wehn it was all said and done we chose the FedSig lights. They were WAY brighter and had a much wider angle of dispersion, plus with the way the ligtsh are designed they actually get brighter the further away you get, wich is nice becasue you don't get blinded standing at the rig getting something from a compartment. We went with the Quadraflare's for just about everything other than the Light bars wich will be the "Escape" light bars. I honestly don't remember the exact cost, but in our opinion, it was worth it.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

got the programmer, which is a keychain remote type device with a few buttons, this changed the flash pattern without having to reomve light, it works and is cool however it is not worth the $150.00 i paid for it. You can invent your own flash patterns and do just about anything you want with a diamond back light, and they work good. Deffinetely comparable to whelen even price wise. I have had good luck with whelen LED and espically with there warranty problems, good luck.

Thread Information