MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tracking Training

I searched this subject all the ways I could think, but did not find what I was looking for. I'm new to this, take it easy on me!!

The problem we are having is keeping an accurate record of our members training so that we can recommend more advanced training, or even just keepinjg a track of where they are VS. where they need to be. We do have a "training file" for each person, but it is really just a collection of certificates. No montlhly or yearly records of department run training. Has anyone had experience with soem kind of computer based Learning Management System? If so, any information would be greatly appreciated! Looks like I may have walked into more of a mess that I thought with this new project! Thanks in advance!

- Lt. Stussy, EFD

Forum Member

How about something as simple as an excel spreadsheet? You can make it as elaborate or simple as you need it to be.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Got me thinking...

Excel has definitely been a good tool for me, I am currently waiting for a class on how to use it better at the local community college. The program does seem to be rather unlimited if you know how to use it to the fullest of its abilities. What kind of format have you tried as far as tracking the progrssion of your member's training? Do you have an example you would be willing to share? I guess im at a loss for a starting point. Thanks for the reply!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. There’s no hidden meaning, and I’m not upset about anything.
    It’s not intended to upset anybody, “beat a political drum”, or “stir the pot”. There’s no need to try to read in between the lines.
    It’s just not that deep, so stop looking for something that isn’t there.

Forum Member

i used to track the monthly training in excel. i had all the names in the rows and the month's training class in the columns. i would just input a date when the training was done for each indiviudal for each class and it calculated the percentage. if you PM me your email I will send you an example.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help everyone! I am going to use a combination of Excel and Firehouse software......as soon as I finish reading the book. Firehouse seems like it might be a pain, but it's what the Chief wants. Thanks again!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. There’s no hidden meaning, and I’m not upset about anything.
    It’s not intended to upset anybody, “beat a political drum”, or “stir the pot”. There’s no need to try to read in between the lines.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by EFDSTUSSY View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone! I am going to use a combination of Excel and Firehouse software......as soon as I finish reading the book. Firehouse seems like it might be a pain, but it's what the Chief wants. Thanks again!
    Firehouse does seem like it might be a pain when you first start messing with it...it's got so many features and so much of the data is cross-referenced and tied in with all the other data that you wonder if you're ever going to get the hang of it, BUT...once you do get familiar with it, you'll like it. It is an ideal tool for tracking training and other member data. You can pull up reports a thousand different ways, from showing one member's individual training record to listing all members with a particular certification or who attended a certain class. It's a very versatile program, I suggest you start playing with it and learn it.

The biggest pain with Firehouse, at least starting out, is getting all the initial data put in (personnel records, hydrant data, etc.) Once you get the database populated it's a lot easier to update records.

Is your department using Firehouse now, or are you just getting started with it?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department has been using Firehouse for a few years now, er, well, our Admin. Assistant has been using firehouse for a few years now lol She did however at Chief's request agree to be so gracious as to teach yours truly (yaaay, how exciting!) I'm sure you can tell how totally stoked I am to learn ANOTHER system that will probably be replaced soon!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:

Forum Member

EFDSTUSSY,
    Excel is probably your cheapest and simplest option of tracking the training. Decide what goals your guys should achieve and track them using that speadsheet.
    FireHouse is a great way to track training, along with a lot of other information. dmleblanc has a valid point. The front load of FireHouse is the real pain. You need to really think through what you want to do and all the potential options before you get started. Once you get the background information loaded it is really a slick program. We used it primarily for NFIRS and a little bit of training. Once I started using it I put all the training on it. Finding which report provides what you want may take a little bit and it's not ideal but it works well overall. For example, when we were undergoing an ISO review a quick report provided the training information they needed.
    Inventory also requires some thought but you can do quite a bit with it. For example, you have to enter "Axe, Flathead", cost, etc on the first truck but after that you can select it off of a drop down.
    I would also highly recommend attending a FireHouse training seminar. I'm fluent in Freecell and e-mail and they presented it simple enough I could understand it. I also can't speak highly enough of their support.
    Just my thoughts.
    Walt
    Last edited by FFWALT; 11-18-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Thread Information