Here is a little lesson in interviewing skills. That skill is listening.

I have conducted hundreds of interviews. I completely agree with those who say that people rarely lie. We just are not listening to what they have to say.

Let's look at this quote from Drew Peterson that was on Fox News today. He is talking about the disappearance of his wife and the death of his former wife:

"I have consistently and steadfastly maintained that I had nothing to do with Stacy's disappearance and the death of Kathy Savio, my third wife," Drew Peterson said in a statement released by his publicist. "I hope that Stacy returns home or reveals herself, and that I am one day cleared of any wrongdoings in both cases."
These are 100% true statements.

"How do you know that"?

Look carefully at what he said. He is not saying he didn't do it. He is stating that he has "...consistently and steadfastly maintained ...". It's true. He has.

The second statement he hopes that she comes home or "reveals herself" (ie; finds her body). He obviously hopes that he is cleared someday. Again, these are true statements.

During the interview, you may mistake these statements for denials of guilt. They are not.

If you are having trouble seeing this, you might want to get into the practice of having subjects provide a written statement. When you read it, you will be able to see these issues a little more clearly.