Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need help with finding the history of our 1932 REO Speedwagon pumper

The members of the Gorham-Fayette Fire Department (Fayette, Ohio) have had the 1932 REO Speedwagon pumper for as long as all of the members have been alive!! With our blood, sweat, time, and money we have maintained this gem for years. It has been refurbished and the motor is all rebuilt. We currently use it in parades, funerals, weddings, fire department conventions, REO conventions, car & truck shows. It has been winning awards in the past 4 years at shows and at the SAMFAA convention down in Reynoldsburg Ohio. It is slated to compete in the Northwest Ohio Volunteer Firefighter Association 2009 Antique Fire Muster held in Napoleon Ohio. We just learned last night from the local newspaper that our village council is considering selling the REO because it is costing them $353.00 a year to carry the liability insurance. We as members were outraged and highly disappointed in our village council for not coming to us before even considering such a drastic move.
    We need to know if there is anyone in this forum that is a past member of our department or maybe related to anyone that was a member at any time. If you know any of the history behind our REO we will need that too.
    At this point we are planning to go to our governing body (township trustees) and find out what they have done to prevent this sale. We have been informed that a few of the trustees were approached about the need for the REO and they gave the thumbs up for the sale.
    We may have a huge fight on our hands and we are going to do anything we can to keep this truck in our fleet!! We have discussed hiring a lawyer and contacting the media including the news stations in Toledo Ohio to get the word out about this situation.
    Anyone with any history or advice on how to handle this situation please please please contact me asap.
    Thank you!!!
    Jami Meller
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OH ... MY ... GOD are you freakin' serious??? I know times are tight but to give up all that history for less than $400 a year is insane!!!!!

I hope you are able to stop the travesty from happening. Geez, if you have 40 members, they could each pitch in $10 and it's a done deal. Fundraise the cash, whatever. What a short-sighted, mean-spirited council. I might even mutter MUTTS under my breath.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I don't know the financial or operational situation of your FD, but many depts transfer the operation and maintenance of the old classics to thier charity association or a historic charter to cover via donation or fundraising. By doing so, you remove the ability of the council or town to make a decision like this, but also give up any firm rights to storage or maintenance with municipal funds.

It may be a small price in the grand scheme, but there can sometimes be other considerations such as hall space and maintenance, or some council member may get the notion it can be sold for a one-time gain in cash strapped times.

Good luck with it, but worst case, at least try and get the council to allow the fireman's association to purchase it for a buck and assume the responsibility for maintenance.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We are soon to be the proud owners of the REO!! Our township trustees (our governing body) went back through all of their records and found the bill of sale for the REO. The village owned half of the truck and the trustees owned the other half. So the village couldnt sell the truck! As of last night the trustees agreed to buy the REO for $1.00 from the village. Once that is complete the FD will buy the REO from the trustees for $1.00.
    I am thrilled with the results as we were prepared to bring in the media to put up a fight if we needed to
    Jami
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    We are soon to be the proud owners of the REO!! Our township trustees (our governing body) went back through all of their records and found the bill of sale for the REO. The village owned half of the truck and the trustees owned the other half. So the village couldnt sell the truck! As of last night the trustees agreed to buy the REO for $1.00 from the village. Once that is complete the FD will buy the REO from the trustees for $1.00.
    I am thrilled with the results as we were prepared to bring in the media to put up a fight if we needed to
    Jami
    Way to go!!!

How's everybody doing over there?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Way to go!!!

How's everybody doing over there?
    Everyone is doing much better now. Last Thursday when we found out about the REO blood pressures were up and tempers were flaring. I think it was good for our members to go through it, it brought the younger generation closer to the "old-timers". We only have a few of the older members left on the dept and we could still stand to learn alot from them!
    On a personal level I had surgery on my rt shoulder 5 weeks ago and tomm. I find out if I can be released back to duty! Just in time too, I was conned into signing up to play donkey basketball on Thursday night as a fundraiser for the Junior class at Fayette High. I have a sneaky feeling I wont be released to play donkey basketball just because of the risk factors. But I was told I can still sit the bench and be a cheerleader for the team! LOL I didnt play basketball in HS and I certainly wasnt a cheerleader...I was a band geek...pep band baby! LOL

The Explorers are chomping at the bit to use the skills they have learned up to this point! They did play with the FD last weekend when we trained on a new foam. They also trained on how to set up and landing zone. Promedica did a neat thing and made sure the kids all got certificates saying that they took the LZ class. We did the same for them with the foam training. They got certificates from the instructor of that class too. Next week the kids will be taking a basic first aid class. They have already been certified in CPR so this will be a breeze.

How are things there???
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Everything is good here. A bunch of new kids. I havent been able to go to many meetings or drills due to work and prior commitments, but stil enjoy going down there and instructing. We've actually been working on getting life flight to do a little gig like you guys had promedica do.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information