MembersZone Subscriber

Default GS3 Position Camp Lejeune

I was curious to see if anyone else had put in for the GS3 position at Camp Lajeune? If so have you heard anything back. It closed on Oct 10, I have 4 yrs volunteer experence and currently in a GS position plus I'm a vet. If anyone put in for it let me know, and also if you have heard anything back.
    Thanks

Forum Member

You did say GS THREE? right?

GS3?

My god I didnt think they even hired "trainees" at anything less than a 4??!!!!

Wow....I wouldnt pick up dog schit for a GS3 salary!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Just doing what I have to do to get my foot in the door. Im currently a GS4 in Kodiak AK, where the cost of living is 3 times as high as down there, so it might be less salary but it will go alot further. That is the first GS3 position I have run accross and I have been applying for fed fire for 2 yrs now. As far as you saying you wouldnt pick up dog **** for that pay, I agree I wouldnt either, but I will take that pay if it means that I get my foot in the door for what I really want to do. I do appreciate your opion though, everybody has there on, and if alot of people look at it that way I guess I probually wont have a problem getting the job. Thanks for the input.

Forum Member

You better investigate that job very carefully before you move across half the world to take a GS3 position.....

There is a reason it is a GS3.....and I bet because it's term or temp, and they cant get any career appointees to apply for it!!!!!!

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Its a perm position. They do the training there. I was alittle hesatent at first but called the department and talked to a couple of the guys there. Im looking at it as just a chance to get my foot in the door. I have over 4 yrs vol experence but dont have the certs besides hazmat awr. So right now I will take anything I can get. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cclark108 View Post
    Its a perm position. They do the training there. I was alittle hesatent at first but called the department and talked to a couple of the guys there. Im looking at it as just a chance to get my foot in the door. I have over 4 yrs vol experence but dont have the certs besides hazmat awr. So right now I will take anything I can get. Thanks for the heads up on it.
    Dude- I'm not saying you are wrong, but this is a perfect time for the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Investigate very carefully, read everything including the fine print several times, and think think think before you accept.

Keep this in mind- Each and every one of the branches of the DoD Fire Services (most especially the Navy and Air Force) are going through extremely tough times. Companies are being cut left and right, which means RIF's (reduction-in-force, or "layoff".) That being said, installations should be filling their vacant positions with guys who are on the stopper list, or may be facing imminent RIF.

I just find it hard to believe that Lejune would want to hire trainees- most, if not all DoD installations nowadays want their new hires to be trained to at least the GS5 equivalent, unless if they are absolutely, positively desperate for people- which I am guessing is not the case, as every federal position I have ever appiled for was under extremely competitive circumstances. Is it possible this may be an announcement for a USMC enlisted position?

clark, can you post the URL for the announcement?

Anyone else have any insight? Gunny??

MembersZone Subscriber

The posting already closed but here is the top part of it. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have been trying to get into fed fire for over 2yrs now. If anything seems weird with it please let me know. If you need more info from it let me know.
    Thanks

FIREFIGHTER

Salary Range: 23,667.00 - 30,767.00 USD per year Open Period: Monday, October 06, 2008
    to Friday, October 10, 2008
    Series & Grade: GS-0081-03 Position Information: Full Time Career/Career Conditional
    Promotion Potential: 07 Duty Locations: 1 vacancy - Camp Lejeune, NC
    Who May Be Considered:
    United States Citizens

Job Summary:
    No Limits. No Bounds. Discover a civilian career with the U. S. Department of the Navy or Marine Corps that is filled with possibilities and be a part of something that makes a difference for you, the country, and the world. We encourage you to apply online...It's easy, fast and convenient! Review the announcement carefully for detailed information and begin to manage your future today!

This position is located in the Installation Security and Safety, Fire Protection Division, Facilities Department, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune. The mission of the Fire Protection Division is the protection of life and property aboard Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, the Marine Corps Air Station New River and all tenant commands. The division is responsible for providing 24-hour fire protection, Wildfire and Woodland Fire Fighting, Emergency medical care, hazardous materials spill response, water rescue, standby for helicopter med-evacs for naval hospital, welding and cutting operations; and for the inspection of fire protection systems and fire safety prevention inspections of all buildings.

Key Requirements:
    U.S. citizenship required.
    72 hour work week required.
    Pre-employment physical examination required.
    Selectee must pass firefighter agility test.
    Must obtain and maintain a current state and government driver's license.
    Overtime, weekend, shift work, and holiday work required.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cclark108 View Post
    The posting already closed but here is the top part of it. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have been trying to get into fed fire for over 2yrs now. If anything seems weird with it please let me know. If you need more info from it let me know.
    Thanks

FIREFIGHTER

Salary Range: 23,667.00 - 30,767.00 USD per year Open Period: Monday, October 06, 2008
    to Friday, October 10, 2008
    Series & Grade: GS-0081-03 Position Information: Full Time Career/Career Conditional
    Promotion Potential: 07 Duty Locations: 1 vacancy - Camp Lejeune, NC
    Who May Be Considered:
    United States Citizens

Job Summary:
    No Limits. No Bounds. Discover a civilian career with the U. S. Department of the Navy or Marine Corps that is filled with possibilities and be a part of something that makes a difference for you, the country, and the world. We encourage you to apply online...It's easy, fast and convenient! Review the announcement carefully for detailed information and begin to manage your future today!

This position is located in the Installation Security and Safety, Fire Protection Division, Facilities Department, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune. The mission of the Fire Protection Division is the protection of life and property aboard Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, the Marine Corps Air Station New River and all tenant commands. The division is responsible for providing 24-hour fire protection, Wildfire and Woodland Fire Fighting, Emergency medical care, hazardous materials spill response, water rescue, standby for helicopter med-evacs for naval hospital, welding and cutting operations; and for the inspection of fire protection systems and fire safety prevention inspections of all buildings.

Key Requirements:
    U.S. citizenship required.
    72 hour work week required.
    Pre-employment physical examination required.
    Selectee must pass firefighter agility test.
    Must obtain and maintain a current state and government driver's license.
    Overtime, weekend, shift work, and holiday work required.
    If you are already a gs employee, I do not believe your pay can be docked. So if you accept a 3, you should get a step increase to match your current pay.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arff42,
    I appricate the info, I had heard something about that but wasnt 100% sure if they would just give me GS3 with a step increase or if they would keep me at a GS4. I have only been a GS employee for a couple of months and a temp at that, I am fresh out of the Military. Thanks for the info.

Lightbulb Gs-3 Clfd

This is not a term or temp position. Camp Lejeune does not do that anymore. If you are hired at a GS-3, every year you will be put in a higher grade if you meet all your required certs. You will be a GS-7 within your 5th year. GS-3 pay is up to 36,400 right now. If you are planning on starting here and leaving, you wont get this kind of money anywhere else. If you have been in any fire service for over four years and only have HAZMAT Awareness, WTF? Where would you plan on going?

Lightbulb Clfd Gs-3

This is not a term or temp position. CLFD does not do that anymore. GS-3 pay is up to 36,400 right now. I dont think CLFD would be a good place to leave. You wont make that kind of money anywhere else. You will be a GS-7 within five years. If you have been in the fire service for over four years and only have HAZMAT Awareness, WTF? Where else would you go with that?

Forum Member

For some reason Camp Lejune has been a low paid start for years?????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG2TRK2 View Post
    GS-3 pay is up to 36,400 right now. I dont think CLFD would be a good place to leave. You wont make that kind of money anywhere else.
    36K, even in your first year isn't that great. Less than $10/hr on a 72hr week schedule.

Cclark, Google turned up this article from Marine Corps times. Read it and think about what it says about the organization. I'm not bashing, but it's something to consider.

Good luck.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...jeune_062708w/

MembersZone Subscriber

"If you have been in the fire service for over four years and only have HAZMAT Awareness, WTF?"

I have been with Volunteer departments, plus was active duty military stationed on ships, I had alot of training but was not able to get the certs due to being underway alot and not being able to attend all the training, plus the last few years I have been an engineer with the department Im with now. Its not that I dont know anything its just that I dont have the certs. I just recently got out off the military and now im working on getting all my certs, I just completed HAZ-MAT AWR and working on FF1 now, IFSAC cert.
    Thanks

Thread Information