MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stay firefighter or become Chief

I am currently on a great fire department as a firefighter and have been accepted to take an Assistant Chief job out of state. Both jobs are full time, I am trying to decide to leave a great job or move on and become an Assistant Chief with a new department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bombero36 View Post
    I am currently on a great fire department as a firefighter and have been accepted to take an Assistant Chief job out of state. Both jobs are full time, I am trying to decide to leave a great job or move on and become an Assistant Chief with a new department.
    If you're married what is your wife saying? Are you leaving family, friends and a structure that would be difficult to replace?

That's a huge leap from FF to AC especially if you've never been in a command position. Would you be able to take a leave of absence in case you got eaten alive and needed a place to return?

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. On each side of the line put the pros and cons for each position. This might help you see the picture a little clearer.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    If you're married what is your wife saying? Are you leaving family, friends and a structure that would be difficult to replace?

That's a huge leap from FF to AC especially if you've never been in a command position. Would you be able to take a leave of absence in case you got eaten alive and needed a place to return?

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. On each side of the line put the pros and cons for each position. This might help you see the picture a little clearer.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Just as important, will you become an "at will" employee? Can you vest your retirement into theirs? Can you go back if it does not work out? As a manager, what is expected of you after 5pm and weekends? Are you salary, or can you work overtime?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A little background

A little background, I have been a firefighter for 15 years 5 as a paid on call Chief, moved states and became a firefighter, my family has not relocated yet but is in the process, now the offer to become a full time Chief, wife and family supportive. I am not going in blind have done the admin thing for many years and enjoyed just not full time although my wife would argue that it was full time.

Forum Member

Default Change???

Bombero....I have experienced what you are going through. Although it wasn't a move to Chief. Follow your gut and if you have the support of your family ...go for it. Like it has been mentioned in the previous posts..make sure of your retirement and benefits.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it what you want? If it is and you've done all your homework, go for it. For me, I would rather jamb toothpicks under my fingernails than go do that because that's just not my thing.

You've been in enough to know what you'd be giving up and what you'd be getting. Your gut is rarely wrong. Either way, good luck and stay safe.

Also, don't forget where you came from.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Thread Information