Forum Member

Question Buffalo Fire Department - 24 on 24 off ??????

24 hours on 24 hours off – Buffalo N.Y. Fire Department ????????

I don’t understand the logic but , I guess the B.F.D Admin/Union think there’s a need for it.

Most B.F.D dues paying members don’t know exactly how it will work . Most B.F.D. Members don’t even know the shift change is on the bargaining table at this point. That’s partly because the Union hasn’t presented a complete “Written Contract Issue Statement.”

Some Firefighters who have asked, “What exactly are we asking for?” -- are being told , “We can’t tell you what’s exactly being discussed.”

How can they discuss or even consider changing Firefighters work schedules and therefore family lives without a full disclosure and prior vote on this issue before B.F.D. Admin/Union decide what dues paying members want.

Whose agenda is driving these “Contract Talks?”

It seems to be a radical change to consider without complete prior “Members Approval.”

Just my thoughts – what do you think?
    www.bfd-firedepartment.com
    23 years B.F.D. Local 282
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

Forum Member

When you consider that NYS has a 40 hour work rule in place.....the overtime amount will be astronomical......must be more to the story
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

wow, 24 on 24 off, no way. Never get passed by the membership, and if it does OT mother load.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bfdhoser1 View Post
    Most B.F.D dues paying members don’t know exactly how it will work . Most B.F.D. Members don’t even know the shift change is on the bargaining table at this point. That’s partly because the Union hasn’t presented a complete “Written Contract Issue Statement.”

Some Firefighters who have asked, “What exactly are we asking for?” -- are being told , “We can’t tell you what’s exactly being discussed.”

How can they discuss or even consider changing Firefighters work schedules and therefore family lives without a full disclosure and prior vote on this issue before B.F.D. Admin/Union decide what dues paying members want.

It seems to be a radical change to consider without complete prior “Members Approval.”

First and foremost this goes against wages, hours and working conditions and must be approved by the membership.

24 on and 24 off, seems a bit hazy from my POV. Are they talking like a 24 on, off, on, off, on 96 off? or just 24 on and 24 off? If the union leadership is unwilling to inform members, then that should say something about the leadership. I would say to stack a union meeting and demand to know what is going on, whether rumor or not. This does seem like a radical change and it would be unclear to know the driving force, but we can't answer that, only your dept can. Again stack the meetings.

I stopped out there a few years ago and stopped into a station and talked with the guys. I believe you have a 4 platoon shift currently? and A, B, C, and D, is that correct? Also aren't you working something like 12 hour shifts or something similar to FDNY? I thought you currently don't work a regular 24 hour schedule.

Either way, it is still a change and you guys should be kept abreast of the situation at hand. 24 hour shifts are very common and can work out quite well for time off etc. A 24 on and 24 off does seem a bit misleading, you are looking at basically 168 hours over two weeks, that would be quite a bit of OT. I personally think there could be something of the 24 hour shifts worked elsewhere around the country, be it 24 on, 48 off, like I already described or something else.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdhoser1 View Post
    24 hours on 24 hours off – Buffalo N.Y. Fire Department ????????

I don’t understand the logic but , I guess the B.F.D Admin/Union think there’s a need for it.

Just my thoughts – what do you think?
    It was 24 on 24 off 24 on 120 off. Which amounts to 7 or 8 days a month.

OP is a P.O.S. who got in trouble from his cushy job answering phones because he doesn't play well with others and now he is out to slander our union.

put no faith in anything he says.

BTW we get Comp time to make up for our 48 hour week.

So a firefighter with 11 or more years on would get 8 shifts vacation, 72 hours personal time and 4 shifts COMP time, if we went to the 24s. Which would amount to approx. 77 work days a year!!! Oh the Horror!

FTM-PTB-EGH

Forum Member

Lightbulb 99% of Union Board Voted OUT!

I fully support the "Newly Elected Members" of Buffalo Fire Departments Professional Firefighters Union Local 282 Board. I have supported and been a Union Member for 13 yrs U.A.W. - 23yrs Local 282.

OH! Gee - "gfyhoser" - I bet you fancy yourself as being a "Lawyer type" - or maybe a demoted, used to be Politically "Appointed" - not promoted XChief.

I guess, the fact that almost every person on the Buffalo Professional Firefighters Union Local 282 Board was just voted out of office doesn't help your statements any ! ? ! So - wheres the "Slander" ? ! ?

As far as "not playing well with others" - your correct, I don't like people who get "Politically Appointed" to a higher rank - then he brags about making an extra $40,000.00(As quoted in the Buffalo Evening News) in overtime - then has the narcissism to cry "White Discrimination" - what a flaming hypocrite people like that are.

The 24 on 24 off issue was squashed by the voting members when they voted down the contract offer - FACT !

The issue I and others raised - you tried to side step -was/is that "No written copy of the 24 on 24 off and or the full proposed contract hadn't been presented for open debate before the vote was scheduled or concluded." - FACT!

Also Mr.GFY - I was suspended for being "Out of Uniform" - anyone can go to www.bfd-firedepartment.com and read about it if they want. I answer interested - unbiased people by personal/site email :
    site-info@beenewsgroup.com

Your dragging in "Comp Time" was a shallow attempt at a diversion from the true issues. Bring forth some truth and facts - if you can.

You have the right to express your self - I respect that - try and leave out the barely hidden name calling and your :"GFYHoser" is so child like- Please !
    Last edited by bfdhoser1; 12-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

Banned

It appears to me there is something missing for sure. I can't see anyone working 24 on 24 off 365 days a year. From what I see hoser1 left out some details that were filled in by hoser2 which then ticked off hoser1.

It will certainly be interesting to set back and watch this battle unfold. I hope the WT does shut it down because this will be good entertainment.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Issues getting scrambled !

As far as working 24 on 24 off 365 - your correct - thats not the idea - of course you would have days off after you complete a tour of 24 on 24 off - : so it goes like this, you report on Monday - work 24 hours - then your off 24 hours - then you do your second 24 on. You just did 48 hours - now you have a tour off. Yes each member is compensated for the extra 8 hours - I never stated they weren't.

The reason it sounds confusing is partly because - as I stated - it wasn't presented fully in written document form to the members. Thats part of my point.

I didn't leave out any thing on purpose - they did. Any way - its a dead issue - it failed to get past the voting members.

Once again - these are the facts - Under the current Union Board - no contracts have been fully, openly negotiated or presented to members prior to the scheduled vote dates. No one, except those at the "Closed door Negotiations" had full knowledge of contract items being traded away - or grievances being squashed - lawsuit abandonment deals and so on.

At no time was a complete disclosure made to all the dues paying members at open forum.

Like the $24,000.00 dollars donated to a local Politician - it was never approved by the dues paying members - they never informed the members of the full amounts until after some members raised issue at a Union Meeting almost a month after the checks were cashed.

When first asked, how much was given - the President was less than truthful - for more info go to www.bfd-firedepartment.com and click 2007-BFD Politics.

There is always more to a story, one can't expect every level of an issue to be made clear when so many have tried to evade the truth - for so long - in this case years.

Thanks for being interested - I will try to keep injecting facts whenever people try to cloud the room with smoke.

13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to have the schedule that's being proposed. It's good and bad. If you are on a very busy company your 24 off days are a blur. the 4 days off are nice though. We picked our vacations by the "trick" (3 shift cycle) so you got basically two weeks off on your vacations, that was nice. We went to 24/48 a few years back and the only thing I've noticed about it is that both of your days off are affected by work. You either wake up there, or you have to be there the next morning. When you had the 4 off you were really away. Also, each shift ended up relieving each other at one point during the trick so there was a lot less 7:59ing, and stuff being left for the next shift. You end up working about the same, 3 of 9 days. Usually every time we get into negotiating a new contract there's a group that wants to go back to it.

Wow, there's definitely a lot of history here.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the input!

Fokker - thanks for the explanation of 24on/24off - shift time. I haven't had experienced it and hope I don't. As I stated, it seems to be a dead issue in the B.F.D.- for now!

There are still many issues within the Buffalo N.Y.Fire Department. Hopefully, with the newly elected Union Officials things will improve.

It amazes me how those who abuse the system - rules and Department for their own financial and personal gain - seem to act with such a sense of entitlement.

For far too long a handful have used politics and rank to to circumvent the departments focus.

I feel honored to have been able to work along side hundreds of firefighters. Most give 110% to the job, as well as endless hours of training through out their entire career.

Every single one of them deserve every benefit and pay they receive. There should not be Contract or Personal Rights divided by ones Race, Politics or perceived entitlement related to Family heritage.

Well time will tell where things go !
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

Thread Information