Default Air Force AD/AF Reserve/Air Guard for promotions, training, open slots?

Hi guys (and gals),

I want to become a firefighter and am pretty much set on the Air Force, but am curious as to the opportunities in each (especially the Air Guard or Reserves) for getting EMT-B/Paramedic training and other advanced courses. I wouldn't mind going active, but it seems like I'd have more time for schools in the Guard or Reserves. My stepbrother is a civilian firefighter and keeps telling me the importance of getting my paramedic's license. Will the military pay for EMT/Paramedic courses, or will I have to use the GI Bill?

Are there currently openings in the Guard or Reserve for Fire Protection? I've heard that AD Air Force has cut a lot of slots.

What about volunteering for deployment or temporary active duty from the Reserves or Guard?

Thanks for any info, and sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before.

Worldwide Menace

At my guard base we only operate at the First Responder level.. We will not be paid for training to the EMT-B or P level. Refresher classes will come out of your pocket as will upgrade training. There are certain advanced courses that can be taken, but that would be up to the base.. Firefighters nowdays are getting pushed to get all their D/O certs, Hazmat Tech, Instructor I, Inspector I and Officer I before they start looking at allowing you to get advanced certs (like Rescue tech I and II)..

Openings would be up to the place you want to drill with. I'm sure there are openings somewhere, but You're not the only person who wants to join the best job in the Air Force... (I waited nearly a year to get a spot in here..) My department is at 100%+4 which means we are manned at 100% plus we have 4 extra people. I'm sure that there is a waiting list, and i do know that they are currently not taking prior service into the Fire Department (Because of the manning).

You can volunteer for deployments, and you can be activated (involuntarily) for deployment. Deployments are currently set at 4 months, but may be going to 6 months soon. Temporary Active Duty is a possibility, but must be requested by a base that needs assistance.

Hope i've helped you out.

-Damien

Quote Originally Posted by LSMalibu View Post
    Hi guys (and gals),

I want to become a firefighter and am pretty much set on the Air Force, but am curious as to the opportunities in each (especially the Air Guard or Reserves) for getting EMT-B/Paramedic training and other advanced courses. I wouldn't mind going active, but it seems like I'd have more time for schools in the Guard or Reserves. My stepbrother is a civilian firefighter and keeps telling me the importance of getting my paramedic's license. Will the military pay for EMT/Paramedic courses, or will I have to use the GI Bill?

Are there currently openings in the Guard or Reserve for Fire Protection? I've heard that AD Air Force has cut a lot of slots.

What about volunteering for deployment or temporary active duty from the Reserves or Guard?

Thanks for any info, and sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before.

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    At my guard base we only operate at the First Responder level.. We will not be paid for training to the EMT-B or P level. Refresher classes will come out of your pocket as will upgrade training. There are certain advanced courses that can be taken, but that would be up to the base.. Firefighters nowdays are getting pushed to get all their D/O certs, Hazmat Tech, Instructor I, Inspector I and Officer I before they start looking at allowing you to get advanced certs (like Rescue tech I and II)..

Openings would be up to the place you want to drill with. I'm sure there are openings somewhere, but You're not the only person who wants to join the best job in the Air Force... (I waited nearly a year to get a spot in here..) My department is at 100%+4 which means we are manned at 100% plus we have 4 extra people. I'm sure that there is a waiting list, and i do know that they are currently not taking prior service into the Fire Department (Because of the manning).

You can volunteer for deployments, and you can be activated (involuntarily) for deployment. Deployments are currently set at 4 months, but may be going to 6 months soon. Temporary Active Duty is a possibility, but must be requested by a base that needs assistance.

Hope i've helped you out.

-Damien
    As for them not taking prior service, is that only in the ANG? Or does it apply to the Reserve and AD Air Force too? Because I'm a former Marine. Seems unfortunate that they wouldn't want someone with previous military training.

Devil, That's his Dept only not taking priors. In the unit I drill with we run as first responders but in the unit/Guard Base I work for we run as basics.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by LSMalibu View Post
    As for them not taking prior service, is that only in the ANG? Or does it apply to the Reserve and AD Air Force too? Because I'm a former Marine. Seems unfortunate that they wouldn't want someone with previous military training.

Yeah, sorry, should have elaborated...

My unit is so overmanned that we are not taking prior service. Other units may accept them.. Ask your local Guard/reserve recruiter. They will have the most updated info for ya.

Hiya RCGregor.. how's the 133rd treating ya?

-Damien

Thread Information