View Poll Results: Would you be interested in attending a 3rd Annual "Saving Our Own"?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would attend all three days.

0 0%
  • Yes, I would attend Friday ONLY.

0 0%
  • Yes, I would attend Saturday & Sunday ONLY.

1 33.33%
  • No, I would not be interested.

2 66.67%
    Forum Member

Default Should there be a 3rd Annual "Saving Our Own"

The Orrville Firefighters' Association is looking at our options to host a third annual "Saving Our Own" training weekend in 2009. We are considering the weekend of June 5th, 6th and 7th and having Mike Wilbur and Tom Shand come back to move forward with what we started with this year's program.

The preliminary plans are to offer a 3-hour classroom type session on Friday 6/5/2009. On Saturday and Sunday 6/6-7/2009 we are looking at a 2-day class with both lecture and hands-on training involving aerial apparatus. The program would be held in the Orrville, Ohio area (Wayne County). The cost would likely be similar as we did this year with Friday only being one price, Saturday & Sunday a separate price, and a price break given to those who plan to attend all three days.

The question is, if we offer a third session, would there be enough interest to justify the expense? While we have offered these programs as a "break-even' proposition, we went in the red on this years program and the preliminary figures for next year show that it will cost us even more to offer the program that we want to host.

To give us an idea of what others in our area think, I am asking for your participation in this survey. The Association meets on November 19th, so we will use the results here as part of our decision making process.

We are interested in your comments as well.. so feel free to post them!

Thanks!
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 11-04-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

How about a Friday session and a Saturday session with no Sunday program?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

With a whopping total of two votes, I guess this wasn't the greatest idea.... but since I have your attention, the dates for the 3rd Annual Saving Our Own will be Friday May 1st and Saturday May 2nd, 2009. Stay tuned for details!!!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Forum Member

Hey could you go into a little more detail about your program? My husband and I are interested in what its all about.
    Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

We probably won't nail down details until after the first of the year, but I will be posting them here when I have them.

Our "model" has been to run a 4-hour open program on Friday evening from 6P-10P in a classroom setting. The topic will be something that is firefighter safety related since our push now is for RIT operations and preventing firefighters from becoming the vicitms when dealing with emergency incidents (including responding to and returning from). The Saturday program will be an all day affair which will likely have a limited attendance in order to ensure everyone has sufficient opportunity to do some hands-on procedures. We are looking at something to utilize aerial operations and how to integrate them into the responses by departments who may not initially have aerial apparatus responding on first alarm.

Keep checking the postings here and I will try my best to keep everyone up to date.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 12-10-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Forum Member

Sounds interesting. My husband is already RIT trained. He did his training in MI and has managed to bring it into our little corner of Ohio. We have 4 guys on our dept that are trained now. Steve belongs to the dept just north of us into MI and I think they have close to 10 or more ffs trained now. So this program of yours sounds pretty interesting. I will keep watching for details!!!
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Thread Information