MembersZone Subscriber

Default Masters Degree Programs

I recently finished a BA in Public Admin. I figured it would be awhile before I went back to school to get a fire admin style degree. I really would like to get a masters degree. Anyone know of online masters programs in fire admin?

MembersZone Subscriber

Grand Canyon University offers a Master of Science in Executive Fire Service Leadership it is part of the Ken Blanchard College of Business. A very good program. However it is about $15,000 plus books. If you have you BS degree it could take you as little time a one year to complet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State has a Masters of Science in Fire and Emergency management, it's in the political science department. I am enrolled to begin in Jan '09

Also, beginning in the fall '09 you have the option of an emphasis in Fire or emergency management instead of both.

The program allots you 7 years to complete the 39 hours. Most core curriculum is available through independent study or internet courses. The courses that are on-site only are available as 1 week seminars in which you have course work prior to, during and after the seminar that must be completed to along with attendance and participation in the seminar to recieve credit for the course. A practicum is also required for this degree.

They have also recently completed the curriculum for the PhD in Fire and Emergency Management.

here is a link to the program's web page. http://femp.okstate.edu/

MembersZone Subscriber

How expensive is the OSU masters degree program?

MembersZone Subscriber

It can be real cheap if you live in:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maryland
    Mississippi
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Virginia
    West Virginia

If you're in one of these states you may qualify for in state tuition b/c of the Academic Common Market system. If so, it's only around $150/credit hour. Pretty awesome.

MembersZone Subscriber

i was just about to mention the academic common market. which is what i am participating in. otherwise you would have to pay non-resident tuition (aka out-o-state tuition) which i paid for my undergrad at osu. if you can participate in the academic common market then you will pay instate tuition. i am taking 6 hours in the fall with and estimate price tag of about $1400 (not including books) but my city that i work for will repay me for tuition and applicable fees (again not including books) up to $1500/semester for a maximum of $4500 per year. so i intend on milking it.

if you want in for the spring you have to get a rush on. otherwise you should wait till summer or fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake030 View Post
    I recently finished a BA in Public Admin. I figured it would be awhile before I went back to school to get a fire admin style degree. I really would like to get a masters degree. Anyone know of online masters programs in fire admin?
    I know the University of S. Illinois is has been trying for over a year to get their program up and running. I'm not sure if it is going to be online though. They just switched a few of their BS courses to online courses.

Good Luck,

Forum Member

Guys,

I am a graduate of the Master's program at Oklahoma State in Fire and Emergency Management. 2006

A couple of things:

This program is really really worth it.

The faculity is top notch.

The program is already receiving recognition from FEMA

The future of this business is heading in this direction, faster than a Katrina wind.

Oklahoma State is the most recognized educational institution in the world in the fire business.

With the fire service still way behind most other professions when it comes to education, an MS in EM will put you way ahead of the curve when it comes to competing for promotion.

The cost is very good compared to other schools. Also you do not have to take the GRE to get in. That test is not fun.

Again I cannot stress enough that a fair look at the program is critical when making a decision in furthering your education.

Steve Pearson MS BS CFPS
    Last edited by OSUFIREGRAD98; 12-11-2008 at 08:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am considering a Masters program at California State University - Long Beach. I am more interested in a Masters of Public Administration course than an Emergency Management degree. I have had way more than enough emergency management courses.
    It seems to me that if someone is going for a Master's dgree, they are interested in being a Fire Chief. This position requires budget, finance and personnel.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Chief Paul,

You said "It seems to me that if someone is going for a Master's dgree, they are interested in being a Fire Chief. This position requires budget, finance and personnel."

I agree.

Take a look at the cources that make up OSU's degree program. This is exactly what you are searching for.

I was one of the original people in the program. At one point there was a proposal to change the name of the degree to a Master's of Public Administration in Fire and Emergency Management. That is how I describe it today to people that ask.
    Instead the degree was and is titled an Master's in Fire and Emergency Management Admistration or (FEMA)

Really look at the classes that make up the degree. You will see budgeting, personnel, planning, program developing and evaluation, finance and the like.

The OSU program is worth doing. The advisory board of the program no only has top officals from FEMA on it, it also has some prominent fire chiefs as well.

Plus you also get the recognition and reputation of OSU, and in our profession that carries much weight.

I hope this helps.

Steve Pearson MS BS CFPS
    Last edited by OSUFIREGRAD98; 12-11-2008 at 08:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief,
    Thank you for the clarification. I wish the name was more specific. I have spoken to several City Managers, regarding the Fire Master's degrees. There seems to be a belief among the CM's, that the Master's degrees awarded to fire chiefs are too focused on managing emergencies. The real need is to learn budget, finance, and personnel.

As I mentioned earlier, my research has shown there is more value in an MPA than one in Emergency Management.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Masters ?

Chief Paul,
    I am considering the same questions you bring up. I already have a Bachelors degree in Management, what should I get my Masters in? I have been thinking about Fire Service Emergency Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, or Management and Organizational Development. I would have to go online for most of them but could go to a brick and mortar school for the Masters of Management and Organizational Development. My next career move would be to become a Chief in another department or an A/C or D/C in a larger department. Do you have any thoughts on which paths would be more attractive to a City Manager/Mayor? Is there still a stigma attatched to on-line degreees? Thanks, Mike Firemikeb@sbcglobal.net

Forum Member

Chief,
    I am looking into Masters Programs myself and have been considering many of the same things you bring up. I was wondering if in your talk with City Managers if there is much, if any bias against online programs. I am looking at possibly going with a brick and mortar Masters in Management and Organizational Development or possibly going online for a MPA, or one of the Emergency Management Programs. I would appreciate your input on this subject, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Chief,
    Thank you for the clarification. I wish the name was more specific. I have spoken to several City Managers, regarding the Fire Master's degrees. There seems to be a belief among the CM's, that the Master's degrees awarded to fire chiefs are too focused on managing emergencies. The real need is to learn budget, finance, and personnel.

As I mentioned earlier, my research has shown there is more value in an MPA than one in Emergency Management.

Forum Member

I just recommended the OSU FEMP in another thread before I saw this one. I am still looking at FEMP for the PhD program but am working on my master's in homeland security at Texas A&M. For those of you open to more than an EM/public administration sort of focus I would highly recommend the A&M program. Right now it's only officially a graduate certificate but they are working through the process of standing it up as a full MS; the certificate will dovetail into the MS, so you can basically go ahead and enroll in the master's before it's officially available.
    In time

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a few univerisities offering Masters in Homeland Security. If you think outside the box, that is an interesting option.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFIREGRAD98 View Post
    Chief Paul,

You said "It seems to me that if someone is going for a Master's dgree, they are interested in being a Fire Chief. This position requires budget, finance and personnel."

I agree.

Take a look at the cources that make up OSU's degree program. This is exactly what you are searching for.

I was one of the original people in the program. At one point there was a proposal to change the name of the degree to a Master's of Public Administration in Fire and Emergency Management. That is how I describe it today to people that ask.
    Instead the degree was and is titled an Master's in Fire and Emergency Management Admistration or (FEMA)

Really look at the classes that make up the degree. You will see budgeting, personnel, planning, program developing and evaluation, finance and the like.

The OSU program is worth doing. The advisory board of the program no only has top officals from FEMA on it, it also has some prominent fire chiefs as well.

Plus you also get the recognition and reputation of OSU, and in our profession that carries much weight.

I hope this helps.

Steve Pearson MS BS CFPS

+1 on what Steve said.

You're better off going for a generic degree such as Business Management or Public Administration. Those programs offer the classes you'll need to manage personnel, budgets, and public officials(most important).

Have you ever seen an add for an administrative Chief position that required a Master's Degree in Fire Science? I haven't either!

Best of luck with everything.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jake030 View Post
    I think that Oaklahoma State has one

Thread Information