Thread: MARS Light

Forum Member

Default MARS Light

Can we get a MARS light on our new truck- Do they even make them anymore?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII View Post
    Can we get a MARS light on our new truck- Do they even make them anymore?
    I believe they are available and are now made by TriLite. www.triliteinc.com
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-05-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

Default MarVa package

I have set up in my quote writer a MarVa package. It includes 2 Mars 888 lights a roto ray and a power call siren. I put it in all of my trucks and unfortunatly it's the first thing cut.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    I have set up in my quote writer a MarVa package. It includes 2 Mars 888 lights a roto ray and a power call siren. I put it in all of my trucks and unfortunatly it's the first thing cut.
    Since you are running Quote Writer, you must be a fire truck salesman. If so, why are you trying to push your preferences on every customer instead of asking them what they want and design accordingly? How many other things that you personally like do you put in that the customers don't find and end up paying for needlessly?

Forum Member

Default Mars light`

I assume you mean the 888 light. Our new 2007 pumper and ladder truck both have them...I assume they are either still available or the mfg jumped in a time machine and stole them off of a classic rig from the 80's...hahaha...good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Since you are running Quote Writer, you must be a fire truck salesman. If so, why are you trying to push your preferences on every customer instead of asking them what they want and design accordingly? How many other things that you personally like do you put in that the customers don't find and end up paying for needlessly?
    Why do you even care?

NFPA is the worst offender when it comes to "pushing" things on people. Or better yet all of the proprietary items that manufacturers put in?
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainS View Post
    Why do you even care?

NFPA is the worst offender when it comes to "pushing" things on people. Or better yet all of the proprietary items that manufacturers put in?
    Where did I mention NFPA? And, why do you care that I care?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    I don't push my preferences on anyone. They ask for a unit to build from and 9 out of 10 times even before I meet face to face with the customer it gets eliminated. Yes I like them but I have yet to sell a MarVa package. I am sure everyone starts with a blank piece of paper and builds from there. . . Not. . . Everyone has a basis to start from and they work from there.

I take great offense to your implying that I am in some manner overcharging my customers. I always deal fairly with my customers! I would not slander someone in such a manner, not even a self proclaimed Pundit.
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 11-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

You guys want to have a Mars 888 light installed on your apparatus? Put it the spec's, the builder/sales person will price it, te factory will procure it and install it where ever you want it!

If it is made and you can afford it, it can be had and installed!

http://www.triliteinc.com/888/888home.htm
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 11-07-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    I don't push my preferences on anyone. They ask for a unit to build from and 9 out of 10 times even before I meet face to face with the customer it gets eliminated. Yes I like them but I have yet to sell a MarVa package. I am sure everyone starts with a blank piece of paper and builds from there. . . Not. . . Everyone has a basis to start from and they work from there.

I take great offense to your implying that I am in some manner overcharging my customers. I always deal fairly with my customers! I would not slander someone in such a manner, not even a self proclaimed Pundit.
    My statement was not meant to be malicious, it certainly wasn't false, nor was it spoken so it can hardly be called slander.

The established and advertised base unit is generally considered the "blank piece of paper." I would hope that most salespeople start with the base units provided by the manufacturers, explain what is there line by line and ask the department where to go from there. At least, that is how I have seen it done for the last 30+ years. (Unless the customer says he wants one just like so-and-so and we all know how that ends up.) That is how I was taught, how I always asked dealers to work with customers when I was training them and it is how I have always done it personally. This puts the customer, the factory, and the dealer all in the same pew.

Apparently you have chosen to establish a base unit that is different from what the builder has designed and advertised. That is your prerogative and is between you, the builder, and your customers.

Be advised however, I have seen customers look at their unit in final checkout and ask what something is only to find that it is something the salesman put in without their knowledge. Some departments didn't seem to mind but they were the minority. Not all customers go through the specs you send them with a fine tooth comb. In fact, the more they trust you the less likely they are to do so. That trust can be lost very quickly.

Forum Member

I will take that as an apology. I always spend several hours with my customers on preconstruction meeting. We always go line item by line item at precon. We also go line by line item through the approved specification on inspection trips and at final delivery. If an item does not meet the specification then it is an item noted on delivery paperwork. I have had to eat items that were charged to the customer as a factory change and the customer did not want nor approve of. I am very proud of every apparatus I have ever delivered or sold.
    Apology Accepted.
    Fyrtrks

Thread Information