Forum Member

Default Is there any difference with a degree?

After I finish this year I will have my fire protection degree. Is there any difference going into the Air Force with a degree or do I still go in the same as someone with no degree? Hopefully that makes sense. Also I had no idea how hard it was to get in the AF at all in Fire, would the degree help me?
    Last edited by Basictraining; 11-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Basictraining View Post
    After I finish this year I will have my fire protection degree. Is there any difference going into the Air Force with a degree or do I still go in the same as someone with no degree? Hopefully that makes sense. Also I had no idea how hard it was to get in the AF at all in Fire, would the degree help me?

Quick and easy answer... no.. all it will get you is a bump up on your rank and a basic understanding.. Why take the easy road anyways?

-Damien

Forum Member

Take the easy road in what sense going to school first? I did it to get it out of the way and to play my sport

Worldwide Menace

If you hold the certs already (fire I,II, Hazmat Awareness, ops, first responder and ARFF) you can attempt to test out of different portions of the school, but whenever you sit through a class, you'll learn things that you didn't know before.

-Damien

As a pipliner you will not be able to skip blocks at Goodfellow, if you had prior military service you could challenge some blocks but a major portion of the fire academy is also continued military education. So all having a degree would do is help you get more pay initially by having a higher rank.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    As a pipliner you will not be able to skip blocks at Goodfellow, if you had prior military service you could challenge some blocks but a major portion of the fire academy is also continued military education. So all having a degree would do is help you get more pay initially by having a higher rank.
    That must have changed since i had gine through.. When i was there, if you had the cert you could challenge the test, no matter if you were prior service or if you were pipeliner. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Damien

Thread Information