Default Getting hired with a DUI???

In 2004 I got a DUI (worst decision I have ever made). I have spent 6 years in the military as a firefighter (Hornorable Discharge), been to Iraq and Afghanastan 4 times, have a list of great certification (including FF I&II and NREMT-B) and have an associates degree in fire science! My question is, do I have a chance getting hired at a fire department or has the DUI from 2004 ruined it for me?

I am scheduled to take a couple department exams here soon and was just wondering what my odds are of that holding me back?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFIRE View Post
    In 2004 I got a DUI (worst decision I have ever made). I have spent 6 years in the military as a firefighter (Hornorable Discharge), been to Iraq and Afghanastan 4 times, have a list of great certification (including FF I&II and NREMT-B) and have an associates degree in fire science! My question is, do I have a chance getting hired at a fire department or has the DUI from 2004 ruined it for me?

I am scheduled to take a couple department exams here soon and was just wondering what my odds are of that holding me back?

Thanks!
    take a look at old posts as this has been asked before...a lot of people will tell you that something like this will hurt you and it probably will. the more time that passes the better but that's a big charge. its one thing to have a disorderly conduct or something minor. most departments don't care if you have your certs (unless you have to have them to even take the written test)
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    take a look at old posts as this has been asked before...a lot of people will tell you that something like this will hurt you and it probably will. the more time that passes the better but that's a big charge. its one thing to have a disorderly conduct or something minor. most departments don't care if you have your certs (unless you have to have them to even take the written test)
    I tried looking for other posts involving this topic but all I could find is topics on drug use, drug charges, credit problems and health problems. I don't have any of those problems!

Forum Member

Default What I heard...

I think if you are on any type of probation right now, you are not going to be considered at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

LL,
    Yes, depending on the department it will hurt you. For some departments, it's an automatic disqualifier. Others have a 5 year window, while still others may not have issue with it.

Not to be overlooked is the fact that many people who have a DUI also have a serious drinking problem. Here's a link to that topic:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...57#post1004957
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information