MembersZone Subscriber

Default Velocity Mirrors

I have a 2008 Velocity with door mounted mirrors. I am having a lot of trouble with them moving when doors are closed. Anyone having same problem or heard of a problem. Thanks for any response.

Forum Member

Our ladder truck on the Dash chassis has the Velvac chrome 2025 mirrors. Always have had trouble keeping them adjusted. They lose it when the door is slammed shut and also driving down the road. At least they are electric and easy to adjust. You just have to do it a lot. The last engine we went back to the traditional truck mirrors, Moto Mirror, also electric and are very happy with them. Suprised you didn't go with the "Praying Mantis" overhead mirrors standard on the Velocity. I bit different looking but by far the best visibility I have ever seen. They also hold their adjustment and don't "creep". How much credit did you get to delete the standard mirrors for the door mirrors?
    Last edited by zfdtruckman; 11-06-2008 at 12:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pierce has admitted to the problem and has a repair part that they say will cure my problem. We will see. As far as the new style mirrors,my committe was not that fond of the look. We also never had the opportunity to see the mirrors ourselves. There was no equipment in our area at that time.

Forum Member

Now, I know my avatar says whom I prefer... but Pierce had a great idea with these mirrors. When I drove an Impel with these mirrors I found that every mirror was decent except the convex that allowed you to view the bumper. That particular mirror seemed too small and I could barely make out that I was looking at a bumper. Overall... I don't believe they were embraced by the fire service enough and will take some time.
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

My department has the Velvac 2025 mirrors on a dash, an enforcer, a sutphen and a spartan chassis. A neighboring department has the same mirror on a quantum and an HME chassis. In all cases the mirror would move if the door was closed hard enough. We were advised to set the mirror where we wanted it and to use Loc-Tite before securing the set screw. It worked for us. We shared the info with the neighbors and it worked for them. Its been about fours years now with no problem. Hope it helps.

Thread Information