Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default R.I.P. 'little brother"......You were taken from us way too young.

VIRGINIA FF LODD-Ejected While Responding & Chicago Crash Update
    (The Secret List-www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com)

It is with deep regret that we advise you that a 17 year old Volunteer Firefighter of the McGaheysville Volunteer Fire Company (Rockingham County, Virginia) was killed in the Line of Duty this morning. Around 0300, Firefighter Roy Smith was responding in his personal vehicle to a structure fire and was involved in a single vehicle crash. Initial reports are that his vehicle left the road, struck a utility pole and he was ejected, He was a Junior at Spotswood High School.
    Here is a link to the fire company website: http://www.mvfd80.org/
    Our condolences to all affected, especially the family of FF Smith and the members of Company 80, McGaheysville VFC.

Absolutely no disrespect intended for this fire department, but I am so frustrated by this I just dont know where to begin.....It makes me want to bang my head against the wall several hundred times......I have one question-

WHAT WAS A 17 YEAR OLD JUNIOR DOING, RESPONDING ON A RUN, AT 0300 ON A SCHOOL NIGHT FOR?

Can anyone give me an answer that makes sense? Now, not knowing what Virginia's Child Labor Laws are, I find it hard to believe that a 17 year old would be allowed to respond at 0300 on a school night. Now, even if their laws DO allow it, where should a 17 year old have been at 0300 on a school night?

This insanity has got to stop.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Rest in Peace brother. You're in a better place now...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

RIP. All prayers and thoughts with family and friends. This is a horrible thing.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

What a tragedy. Rest easy young Roy.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

FossilMedic

Default This tragedy was AVOIDABLE

What makes this devastating loss difficult for me, as a former high school fire school instructor, was that he was NOT WEARING A SEAT BELT while responding to a 3 am incident.

He would have survived the roll-over if he remained seated and belted in his car.

Physics trumps testosterone.

Michael Ward
    retired Captain II, Fairfax County (VA) Fire and Rescue Department
    former Fauquier High School (Warrenton) instructor

Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
    The George Washington University

Time of day and being a school night have nothing to do with this. The only factor I see as legitimate is that he most likely wasn't wearing a seat belt. Absolutely tragic LODD that we have got to start proactively preventing. This happens too often and we can fix it. How many more people need to die? I hate having to bring this to my Explorers when it happens and now I need to do it again.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Time of day and being a school night have nothing to do with this.
    They have everything to do with this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Really, so if the sun was up and he didn't have school in the morning, he wouldn't have died from his injuries? Your logic makes no sense. That's like saying the Titanic wouldn't have sunk if it just stayed in the harbor. Apparently in their neck of the woods it is allowed and acceptable. Deal with it. He died because he most likely didn't have a seatbelt on, not because it was 3am on a school night.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-09-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

As a wife of a firefighter, mother of an Explorer and a fellow firefighter I would like to send prayers to the family of this young man. My heart goes out to the family, I dont know what I would do in their shoes.

It seems petty to argue about time of day and whether he had school in the morning. We as advisors need to take the time to learn from this event and encourage our Explorers (Or Juniors) to follow our rules. In Fayette our kids are not allowed out after 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. They do not ride lights and sirens to scenes or to the station...they simply are only allowed to drive to the station and wait until a driver arrives for the truck they are allowed to ride in to scenes. They travel in our heavy rescue as long as the ffs dont fill it first. If that truck fills up, I as an advisor dont have a problem taking my mini-van to the scene. They arrive in that vehicle, they leave in that vehicle.

Once again my prayers go out to Roys family.
    Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Thanks you! It isn't our job to dictate policy and procedure to another department we know nothing about. From all indications, he was well within his right to be doing what he was doing. Their rules are different than my rules and your rules.

Any one of us could have an accident responding to a call. It could by 3pm or 3am. It could be a fire alarm at the school again or it could be that one with people hanging out windows ready to jump. NY to CA, MN to TX. Makes no difference. If we don't stop being our own worst enemy sometimes, it will never change.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-09-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Here is just an idea....if no one else sees it the same way thats fine. But can we leave this as a condolences forum out of respect and keep the taking about how he should've been responding and how he shouldn't of been responding on the other forum for this? So far its done pretty good with most of the talking on the other forum "I also posted this in the Juniors/Explorers Section....".
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

WHAT WAS A 17 YEAR OLD JUNIOR DOING, RESPONDING ON A RUN, AT 0300 ON A SCHOOL NIGHT FOR?
    When i was a Junior Firefighter, i was allowed to respond when i wanted. My parents limited my response times, but the department did not, and most departments in the area do not regulate such things.

It is "new guy" syndrome: "I have to respond to every call, cause it might be the big one!"

RIP BROTHER, YOU WERE TAKIN MUCH TOO EARLY
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Give him a break everybody, the poor kid's DEAD. None of us know the whole story so stop talking crap.

R.I.P.

Forum Member

Default Wow

Tragic.
    MY DAD WOULD KILL ME IF I RAN A CALL THAT EARLY
    but. Since i run in the same Dept so i don't drive to calls anymore
    THAT LIGHT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE A EV ITS A LIGHT THAT GIVES OTHER DRIVERS AN OPTION TO PULL OVER

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Really, so if the sun was up and he didn't have school in the morning, he wouldn't have died from his injuries? Your logic makes no sense. That's like saying the Titanic wouldn't have sunk if it just stayed in the harbor. Apparently in their neck of the woods it is allowed and acceptable. Deal with it. He died because he most likely didn't have a seatbelt on, not because it was 3am on a school night.
    You dont get it.. if the department had regulations on times.. his detah owuld have NEVER HAPPENED.. he would have never been on the truck, rather home sleeping.

RIP Brother..
    My views and opinions are in no way affiliated with my department.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

I thought this thread had stopped....
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCVCadet View Post
    You dont get it.. if the department had regulations on times.. his detah owuld have NEVER HAPPENED.. he would have never been on the truck, rather home sleeping.

RIP Brother..
    Ok....... Do the rest of us a favor and stop trying to stir this up. It's settled. We all get it. Stop trying carry this on any further... Just drop it.
    If for some odd reason you want to further argue this, go make another thread. Leave this one for condolenses...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Unhappy Srry

R.I.P, So sad to see someone like this go away, I see us as brothers, and its ashame to see our brother go like this, RIP BRO.

Newark, NJ Fire Explorer

I know i'm late but thank you for your dedication and service to the community

EMT/FF Lovell

Thread Information