the 4-1-4

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but does that mean a career FF can't work (paid) at an EMS agency on his day off? So an FDNY FF can't work for a hospital based EMS system on his day off (if FDNY was IAFF)? or a Syracuse FF (where the FD only does first response, not transport) can't work at Rural/Metro (the City ambulance provider) on their day off? and a City FF can't work part time (paid) for a suburban FD on their days off?

Am I reading that correctly, or am I misinterpreting that bylaw?

I don't know about FDNY, as I only know about here. And in short, the answer would be yes.
    The city here contracts with 4 private ambulance companies, in a "cost-saving measure" to provide BLS transport and some BLS first responder responses.
    In my opinion, there is no difference in what is being done when an IAFF member works for these companies, or what happens when an IAFF volunteers in a department that has IAFF members as career staff.

People are still taking this all wrong. This is the IAFF trying to keep IAFF members from sticking it to other guys. They are trying to preserve over-time, working conditions, and negotiating abilities for all of our locals. It is also a measure to try and save members headaches, should they ever need to use presumptive legislation if they become disabled.

We have members of suburban IAFF locals working for the private companies here. It is the stated mission of the private companies here, that they wish to knock us out of the EMS system. We are adamantly opposed to this, because we feel that we provide the best possible service to the community. To depend on the privates to perform the service level we provide is not in our families best-interest. This community includes 100% of the departments members, and our families and friends because we have residency. This is a big deal, and completely appropriate for the IAFF to be involved with.

It is up to the individual locals to decide on infractions, and how to deal with them.
    Just for the sake of the discussion, the department administration adopted a policy that our members could not belong to another fire department or EMS agency before the local did. The only exception being military fire departments, such as the USAF or WI ANG, which has units that current department members serve in.

I have always taken the IAFF position to mean that if your actions don't harm other IAFF locals, the international could not care less. There are private ambulance companies here and around the country that do not "compete" with fire-based EMS, no problem if a guy wants to work there. There are more volunteer departments that have no IAFF members employed, and again, no issue with that.
    Last edited by jasper45; 11-13-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    Am I reading that correctly, or am I misinterpreting that bylaw?
    that's the old bylaw and you are interpreting it correctly, but I don't think that was the entire intent of the bylaw, which is why it was recently revised to state specifically "where it affects an affiliate local" meaning, don't volunteer or work where there's an IAFF local if you yourself are in the IAFF.
    If you have a question, I would just ask the guys you are planning on working or volunteering with. If they have an issue, leave it be. If not, tell them if anything comes up and they want to push for more manpower or something like that, then request that they tell you beforehand, and handle it accordingly at the time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizan1 View Post
    It still amazes when you post things and others do not agree and then all they can do is come up with an unitelligent response they spew venom and throw stupid childish things out there, then quit the IAFF and go back to driving a truck, means I struck a chord, because anyone else who has been a member of Union where they provided the proper benefits would agree.

PIzan... you need to tune your guitar, because a few of your strings are either a tad flat or high pitched, especially your "g" string!

I was a member of the Teamsters in the early 70's, between stints at college. I got jack squat from them.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The IAFF might not pay my benefits and pension, but they certainly helped me keep my job. In the recent election, my town was attempting to enact a number of changes to the town charter, one of which would have deleted the language requiring full-time firefighters. They claim their intent was merely to simplyfy the language, but who knows what could have been done with that come the next contract negotiations!

Long story short, we started a campaign to spread word to the voters to reject the charter change, and the state Association contributed a good amount of money to cover the costs we incurred with mailings and signs for the polling places.

Of the 24 charter review questions, all passed except for 2. The one affecting the fire dept. and an identical one affecting the police. They failed by a narrow margin, and if we hadn't taken action they surely would have passed, and there is no way we could have afforded to do what we did on our own.

Like I said, my union may not pay my benefits, but the money I give them in my dues was sure worth it this time around.

Forum Member

This is the IAFF trying to keep IAFF members from sticking it to other guys.
    From an outsider view...it's interesting that the IAFF, which is acting on it's members behalf, has to have a resolution/bylaw designed to keep it's own members from "sticking it" to their own members.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizan1 View Post
    63.66 a month which gave much better benefit package then any municipality I have ever worked for. Hmm your right Union do not provide benefits, so why does every other union and unions that have been established since 1903?
    I was previously in the teamsters union and my benefits were provided by my employer, not the union. Guess that isn't a real union???

Thread Information