Thread: 09 AFG ideas

Forum Member

Brian, not to be repetetive, but I sincerely appreciate the time you and others (i.e. Kurt)put into these forums. I highly suspect I would not have been successful on any apps without the help here-in.

And I didn't really mean to ruffle feathers (except for those getting equipment and don't need it) but was simply venting my frustation seeing firefighters in the field having needs not met. And yes, it is generally the fault of their leadership whether local or otherwise.

Keep up the good work.

To change the subject..., anyone getting 1199's for SAFER?

Forum Member

All I can say is thank goodness for these grants! For way, way to many years the "old bunch" was more concerned about who was bringing chips and dip to the card game instead of keeping things in shape or even replacing equipment when it wore out or broke. Luckily they're gone. With our small budget it has taken the help of 3 and now possibly a 4th grant just to get the mess they left us with fixed. Yes, it would of been nice to try and fix it all with one grant but that wasn't possible. We all want to go home after the call. These grants have greatly improved our chances of that. Have we been able to eliminate all the issues/problems we face? No, but at least now we have a lot fewer of them to contend with. We can now actually be a benefit to our mutual aid area too. That was "unthinkable" just a few years ago. Yes, I agree there are those that abuse it. Yes, there are still the "old bunch" that don't want to waste their time with it. That too is sad.
    Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

MembersZone Subscriber

firedude801, just a question here but have you thought about assisting them with their apps or are they just too reluctant to accept help when help is offered? From the way you are tlaking about them it sounds to me like a plain ole case of either procrastination on their part or simply nobody there has enough interest to do a little work.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

801, no feathers ruffled here. Discussions like this are how things improve. To an extent it is our job to get those other folks to apply, especially if they are mutual aid. We're not safe if they're not safe on our firegrounds, so lend a hand sometimes. I have a long list of departments that were 0-fer-ever then we cleaned up a few things and got them funded. Some didn't want me to try but I can be pretty convincing to at least give it a run. Now many don't want to stop, or want lists of everything they can go after. Free money is more addicting than crack, and that's a good thing.

And SAFER 1199As went out Friday. Looks like only hiring, didn't see anyone else post about finding any after I found 4 (all hiring) so I don't think we had any R&Rs.

Forum Member

Default Spreading the word

Spread the word to a couple neighboring depts. last year who weren't even aware of the grants. I know at least one got a grant for PPE and other equip. Talked to a guy doing gas line work @ our station the other day who was from a small dept not far from us. They got comp dj. Offered to look at their app to see if anything jumps out. Being aware of that dept., they should have at least made it to peer. I think it was for PPE and SCBA. They may take me up on it. Also told him about reading these forums. They have never been on here.(Imagine that ) It's no fun if your neighbors can't get help too

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post

I did a week of Peer Review in Emmitsburgh last May. All I worked on was apparatus, and I didn't review any from my own state. That said, there were applications that I reviewed that I worked HARD to find them a couple more points, but because theye were so poorly written, the points couldn't be awarded. Applications with FANTASTIC need statements, but with no budget info. Applications for that new tanker which failed to discuss the impact on firefighter safety in day-to-day operations, but instead talked about the improved ISO rating (ISO is NOT an AFG goal!). And the list went on and on... There were also those applications that were clearly written to replace the six year old truck which had a full ashtray and needed an oil change, but they DID meet all of the requirements of the application process and discuss need, budget, affect, and benefit/cost. So how do you take points away from them? (Except in the "need" category?)

There are obviosly departments in need that have not taken advantage of what could rightfully be "their" money. But I can't write their application for them, and I couldn't add to their weak narrative in Emmitsburgh! They really need to be a little less penny-wise and dollar foolish, and get the application writing training that they really need! In the mean-time departments with lesser need (I didn't say no need), but better applications will continue to get the awards.

Amen Brother, I went to Emmitsburg the first 4 yrs. The Writting has definetly got better but there are still a lot of Departments that do not have a clue. You know they need the funding but the narrative just won't let you justify it.

Forum Member

Kurt. In answer to the offering help, question, yes.

I will say this in their defense.., there is not such thing as a few hours here and there for a volly Chief or any Chief for that matter. Not to get on a soap box, but these days, if the Chief is not good at sharing the load, he'll collapse. And, unfortunatley, the worst thing is that a good fireground Chief is a type 'A' personality and that is the worst thing when it comes to sharing the work load.

I suppose the issue is just like the starving children in Somalia. Not much any of us can do individually....,

My Lord. That just made me even sadder.

SAVE US OBAMA!!

Forum Member

Default NFPA 1901...2009 Edition

A neighboring department which I help with writing grants for is looking at applying for a new engine. My question is "what are some of the new standards that the 2009 edition add to apparatuses" and "what is the approximate % of increase to the cost compared to pre 2009 apparatuses". Thanks in advance to any and all who answer.

Thread Information