Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ice rescue Class

Are there any Departments in the Northwest part of Illinois interested in having an Ice Rescue class for their department. I am an instructor and would be willing to come and give a class at your location. This is an 8 hr minimum course. Has both class room time and in the water / on ice time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

we are not in the northwest part but i have been trying to come up with a way to get my ff some type oftraining on ice and water rescue. we have a small lake in town ( aprox 20-22 acers ) and the kids love to fish and play on the ice. as you know we dont have the cold of winter we used to have and the ice is not as solid as when i was a kid HA HA. before it is a afterthought we need to get up to speed on this type of responce. if you know any one closer that we could get for our little dept please post or pm me. Randy M

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, You are a bit out of my area, as I am in the Quad Cities over on the Mississippi River. You may want to check with Dive Rescue International and see if they have an instructor closer to you, that is who I teach for. Or you could check with Atlas Outfitters and see if they have trained any one who lives down in your area. Sorry I can't help you out better. I recommend that you have some training in ice rescue though at least at an awareness/ operations level that you could do shore based rescues.

Forum Member

How many do you need to fill a class? I am up in Albany and I can think of several local area departments that would be interested in doing this.

MembersZone Subscriber

To S8ER95Z,
    Email me at dubree.douglas@rigov.org and I'll give you the specifics on the class.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You need a minimum of 12 people in the class. I teach two different classes the one is a Shore based class which is 4 hrs and is for non entry personnel in support of Ice rescues. The other class is an 8 hr class that involves classroom and in the water practical sessions. The 8 hr class requires students to be in fairly good physical condition to be able to do the practical skills. If you have any further questions contact me at dubree.douglas@rigov.org or contact Steve Wearth at Eastern Iowa Community Colleges at 1-800-850-5440. These classes are through the college"s Midwest Center for Safety and Rescue Training. You can have more than one department take the class as a group. So in your case you could have maybe Fulton and Cordova see if they wanted to send anyone or anyone else up in your area.

Thread Information