Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Anyone using the POK foam quick stick?

We had a demo on it yesterday. Conisists of a 1 1/2" pistol grip nozzle connected to an inline foam proportioner. Replacement foam sticks are placed into the proportioner and can be operated on any hand line. Different sticks for different fire classes. They say you can get around 600 gallons of usable foam from one stick.

Anyways. Pros vs. Cons ?

MembersZone Subscriber

We had some grant money left over so we got one for all 9 of our engines. We are not pleased at all with them. First thing is that its more of wet water than foam. Also, they just don't seem to work at all and they are cummersome to work with, let alone finding a place on the truck to put them.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well...............

Coupla Things........... Before any VFD/FD buys Foam Equipment, you really need to know what you need. Just what is it that you want to do with Foam? And is Foam needed to accomplish that goal?? There has been a lot of new technology hitting the streets and people are jumping on the bandwagon to get this or that item. But do you really need it?? I would offer that you should be doing a thorough analysis of your needs before using resources to acquire something that may ride around on the apparatus and never be used. I am not anti-foam nor a penny pincher (ask my wife) but a lot of departments are buying stuff that they'll never use, just to have it because the next station down the road has one. A comment was made (above) about "Wet Water". Personal Opinion, Wet Water does a better job than Class A Foam IN SOME CASES. So, do you need Wet Water or Class A Foam? Find out Before spending a lot of money. And, as also noted above, see if you have a place to carry what you buy. Before buying it! Last, an hour's visit by a sales rep is not a fair trial, for you OR the vendor.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the 1 inch set up for booster lines mainly on the brush equipment. The quick stick is easy to change and we keep the extras in a ziplock bag in engineers cabinet. You HAVE TO FLUSH the nozzle regularly, even while flowing. Just spin nozzle to flush for a few seconds. We didn't have much room for the buckets of foam to fit so this was a great option.
    We didn't get the Attack nozzles due to gpm flow. All you are going to get is 0.5% to 1.0%. NO blankets unless you use the foam agitator for that nozzle size. Like all tools in the fire service, it has it's place. WOODS made a great point. Remember everything has an expiration date, will you use it up before it goes bad and loose that money that could have bought another needed piece of equipment?

Forum Member

Talking

We had a live fire demo/training session with the POK again. We found basically what you all stated above. While it is a good idea it has yet to be perfected. So we will just go back to having the AFFF on the truck. One thing that was surprising though. We carry a 25 gallon tank for foam on 2 engines. 1 main piece and the other a backup. We never use foam for anything, including training. We only had the buckets of it because our old chief got them for free. Rarely flushed out the system etc.. They both worked first try.

Also one of the captains took a 130psi straight stream to the face from about 30 feet away via the jr. guy. somebody left the nozzle open, line got charged. he was okay

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Old Post

Well I am going to dredge this one back up. Yes this is my first post but I have been a quite observer for some time now. I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion of this system. A department down the road has one and loves it (note they are a small very slow department and have only used it in training). My department is considering purchasing the system but for some reason I canít put my finger on it something makes me uneasy about this system.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

My department bought one for our new engine. Have only used it a training and never at a real fire. I donít even think we have used it. If we have it has been at a call I was not at. During the trained we just sprayed it into the air, so I also cannot comment on the ability to put out fire or its smothering abilities. All in all it looks like a neat system but I have yet to see what it can do. The nozzle is a little heavy though, but I guess it would be being that big.

Thread Information