MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leaving for Goodfellow at the end of the month.

So I leave for Goodfellow at the end of the month. I will be reclassing my MOS to 21M and will be attending the school as an MOST- prior service. I have already been to a civilian fire academy, and am already employed with a fire department. My question to some of you is should I even bother testing out of some of the blocks, or should I just go into this academy without remembering a thing I have already been taught. All of my certs are California State Fire Marshals Office Certs. Is that going to be a problem at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Simple, Pretend you just walked off the street, and are absolutly clueless...and yes, I am serious.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Like JT stated....

Also, you will receive some very good training while you are there. Why would you want to bypass that? You can also help ones that have difficulties in different blocks. Put your training and experience to work.

And by the way...you are getting paid to do something you really enjoy. So....Enjoy!!!

p.s. I had plenty of training and many years of experience before attending Louis F. Garland. I am glad that I went through the whole thing.
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 11-13-2008 at 04:10 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the quick responses guys! How is living in the Angelo Inn and is there much to do on the weekends? Also will I have time to take some online classes while Im attending this academy? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mandownco View Post
    thanks for the quick responses guys! How is living in the Angelo Inn and is there much to do on the weekends? Also will I have time to take some online classes while Im attending this academy? Thanks.
    I wouldn't recomend taking the online classes while at academy, you could but some days you get pretty tired and don't need to deal with that. Grahms is the place to go to as far as clubs and bars it seems but then again its so full with military that it seems like the e-club. Lake Nasworthy has fishing and some boats to rent, probably only the little fishing boat, thats all they keep out in the winter. Otherwise it's about an hour drive to Abilene and 3 hours to San Antonio and Austin. Angelo Inn is nice enough but nothing to write home about basic cable, no upgrades, not even if you pay out of pocket and DSL for internet. You will share a head with the room next to you.

Forum Member

Default grahams is a teenage sausage fest.

I just got back and I had some certs. before I left I acted like I didnt know a thing. If your certs are Ifsac you can test out. Its not worth it if you have only ff1 but if youve got ff2 I say go for it I had a few in my class that wanted to test out one guy di and scored decent and had alot of respect from instructors another barely passed and couldnt pass the combat challenge and he was laughed out of the school so If your going to do be prepared and in shape. Acting like the guy off the street is a play it safe thing to do. The fireschool is alot of fun anyway and a way good experience. Stay away from Grahams Its for the young guys and the bouncers hate military you can get into alot of trouble. Cheddars is a great resturaunt. Buffalo wild wings had cheap wings on mondays and they were awesome. I didnt really need to spend alot of time studying and I had a 97.5 average but I was exausted after school however. Let me know If you have any other questions I cansend you to the right people if you ar army. ashncole@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Default Who is this?

Quote Originally Posted by mandownco View Post
    your in my unit, who is this?

Forum Member

Default From one 21M to another.

Lets change in what I said because I don't want to make any one mad. Just keep a low key do what you are suppose to do and don't drink too much. Some of the instructors will act like a hard ***, but they are no different than you are. There will be some things you agree on and disagree on during school but just remember it is like any other fire department they all have different ways in doing things. Maybe if you are lucky enough you can come up here to Ft. Lewis and have some fun. If you have any questions on what 21M are doing, Just e-mail and I will send you my contact info.
    Last edited by panthers; 08-04-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Forum Member

I was 33 years old prior service when I went through the Louis F. Garland Fire Academy at Goodfellow. I stayed at the San Angelo Inn and went to the Bars every weekend. I did not get into trouble and I did not hang around with AIT kids. There are plenty of Prior service guys going through the academy, maybe not your class. I was also a paid career firefighter when I went through. I tried to keep it on the down low but it leaked out. Some instructors treated me better and some treated me like **** once they found out. One day they they were short Drivers and I had to be the pump operator. Another time we were all in line getting checked off on ropes & knots and when they got to me I started my knot and they would not even let me finish and went on to the next guy.

Forum Member

Default On my way

I'll be down @ Goodfellow from Oct. 16 - Feb 3rd. If we have our NREMT do we have to go to block one?

Forum Member

I went through in July05-Oct05. There were 5 of us with NREMT-B and we had to go through the 1st block of first responder. The best advice I can give on that is don't go by EMT standards but what they teach you in class. Review the notes and you will breeze through it.

Thread Information