Thread: Move Over Law

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Move Over Law

Very happy to see/hear it really does get enforced.

Hunter charged as bullets hit bus

By JOE BELANGER

The London Free Press

LONDON -- A local hunter has been charged after bullet fragments hit a bus with 49 passengers on board as it headed east along Highway 401 in Elgin County

Elgin OPP said several fragments hit the bus windshield, but didn't penetrate it, at about 8 a.m. near Mill Road on Saturday.

No one was injured.

A 61-year-old St. Thomas man, whose name wasn't released and who police said was hunting nearby, is charged with careless use of a firearm.

Police also said that when they were investigating the incident -- with the emergency lights of five cruisers flashing -- they charged six people with failing to move to another lane for emergency vehicles.

"Even with all this advanced notice of police activity ahead, motorists still refused to move to another lane to afford the officers a measure of safety," said Const. Doug Graham.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Move over law enforcement

The county where I live includes 25 miles of interstate (covered by only 2 FD's, including mine which covers about 8 of that) and our deputies actually run sting operations at random times throughout the year. They will do a special traffic enforcement on the "I" with 2 deputies and when one of them has a speeder, the other will park just past that, and pull over cars that don't abide by the move over law. No warnings either,only tickets. It's great to see the special enforcement of it. After getting brushed by a sideview mirror on a call one time, anything PD can do to enforce the law is good in my eyes!!

MembersZone Subscriber

This is my first post here, Ive been lurking here and as a noob I dont have much to contribute. But this is always something that really makes me angry to see. I saw it the other day. Just move over.

If a truck ever gets the chance, can they get the plate number and send that in? I think school buses can do that and pretty much no questions asked if a bus driver reports a car that didnt stop it will be ticketed.

Can or has anybody here done this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ...

Im a lurking nubcake, so this is my first post.

I believe that a school bus driver can take down a plate number and pretty much no questions asked the driver is sent a ticket.

Can or has anyone here ever done this? I really really hate it when people do not yield to emergency vehicles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of our county deputies will just sit on the side of the road with their lights flashing on a divided highway and nail anyone who doesn't move over.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Its a funny thing maybe, but I've always moved over into the other lane, or at least slowed down (if there was no where to move over to) when any car is parked on the shoulder. Thats even before I knew there was a "Move Over Law" in effect. Just common (or maybe NOT so common) courtesy.

Forum Member

In Tennessee,you can drive down either lane you want as long as you remember to move over when an emergency vehicle is passing by.
    In Kentucky,they want the left hand lane reserved for emergency vehicles.
    On day,I was driving a company truck from Mayfield to Paducah and had just passed the Kentucky State Police barracks.
    There was a KSP unit coming southbound and saw me in the left hand lane as is my wont.The trooper driving must have been right out of the academy the way he swept into the median and almost overturned with his lights going.
    He and his FTO got out and the older officer had to hang onto the side of the car before coming up and taking the back up position.I doubt it was because he was a lot closer to retirement.
    Short version is I got a ticket and going to court,I used what I thought was an awfully good argument:"Your Honor.My tax dollars did not build Highway 45 as I have not lived here that long,but they sure go for the maintenance of that road and since there was no emergency vehicle before Troopers Smith and Jones got behind me,I didn't see that I was impeding any emergency response."
    It could have worked.The Judge looked thoughtful for two minutes and then denied my claim.$145 dollars that my employer didn't want to pay even though I was driving HIS truck in ahurry to get back to HIS office to make another run to line HIS pockets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Some of our county deputies will just sit on the side of the road with their lights flashing on a divided highway and nail anyone who doesn't move over.
    That's like parking two cars on either side of a hydrant at a big event and then standing by to ticket anyone parking between the decoys.
    Can you say "Hunting over a baited field"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    That's like parking two cars on either side of a hydrant at a big event and then standing by to ticket anyone parking between the decoys.
    Can you say "Hunting over a baited field"?
    I personally don't see a problem with it. No matter what they are doing traffic still is required to move over.

That's like having a problem with an undercover narcotics officer making a drug buy.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    That doesn't seem right though... Purposely causing an obstruction in traffic is just wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ohio isn't strict at all on this law they let it slide by all the time. I try to move over though because i know how it feels to stand on the side of interstate my VFD covers 12 miles of interstate 70.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireEeyore View Post
    That doesn't seem right though... Purposely causing an obstruction in traffic is just wrong.
    They are not obstructing traffic, they are sitting on the side of the road with their lights activated, as if you would see any officer on a traffic stop. They do not block traffic or create a hazard. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information