Forum Member

Default references on a RESUME

I am going to a oral interview in a couple of weeks for a paid call ff job, and I need to bring a resume, since this is my first testing process and I am 18 I have never made a resume before. I have been looking online to see what a firefighter resume consists of and I got this:

OBJECTIVE

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

EDUCATION

ACTIVITIES

The only thing that I could think of that might be good to have are REFERENCES. Should I have them or leave them out??

any thought or tips for a better resume would be nice.

Thanks
    Gregor Cameron
    Paid Call Firefighter
    Central Fire Protection District
    Santa Cruz, CA

Forum Member

Have you ever seen a bad recommendation letter? Save a tree, the raters will probably not read these letters.

From interview rater BC Steve Prziborowski:

I'm with Captain Bob on this one - leave them at home! Personally, letters of recommendation really aren't worth much because it is very easy to get them (in my opinion and experience) and they're like a verbal recommendation of someone. Many times, people will say how great you are either to get rid of you or because they really don't know the true you.

On an oral panel, they don't have the time to look at them either. Every oral panel I have been on (on either side), there has usually not been much room for the rater's to utilize. There is usually a cramped table space with enough room for a rating sheet, and then maybe your application and/or resume, that's it.

You're getting graded at the oral for things you say, not for things that are written down. Remember if you don't say it, you probably won't get full credit for it. Dimensions you're getting graded on during oral interviews include oral communication, NOT written communication.

If the rater's are reading your paperwork, they're not listening to you - and that can be bad (remember if you didn't say it in the oral, you're not going to get full credit for it, even if it is on your resume). Having to read your resume and application while trying to make notes and comments on your rating sheet and keep their ears open to make sure you say all of the key phrases, buzz words, etc. is challenging enough. Throwing more paperwork in front of them (letters of recommendations, certifications, etc.) just convolutes the issue.

About the only time to include a letter of recommendation might be during the chief's oral (even that is an iffy time). Personally, if I was a chief, I really wouldn't put much weight on a letter of recommendation (and I know many chiefs that agree with me).

In my opinion, letters are letters. Whether they are from your boss, a friend, an acquaintance, etc. Whether they are saying how awesome you supposedly are, how great you performed at an event, etc.

Extra, unnecessary paperwork, that just takes away from what you're being graded for. During a background investigation, unless they ask for it, I wouldn't provide it. The background investigator has enough to deal with than have more paperwork.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Younger candidates have credentials too!

As long as you can present your package at the oral board, age should not be an issue. The problem is many younger candidates don't think they have the life experience needed.

I gave a presentation at a Fire College. Many students didn't feel they had any experience that would apply to the position. That was until I asked several candidates to tell me about their first and succeeding jobs in life; no matter how menial it seemed. Many had paper routes, mowing lawns and working at Burger King. O.K., what did you learn? Once the answers started flowing, we heard how they learned to work hard, have responsibility, learn customer service and how to work as a team.

Did you participate in sports in school? Isn't that working as a team. Do any of these areas apply to the fire service? You bet! So any time you can relate your personal life experience in answering an oral board question, you are telling the oral board that you not only know the answer the question, you have already lived it!

When the board asks what you have done to prepare for the position, don't forget to rewind the video tape of your life and create an early trail of how you learned how to work hard, have responsibility, and work as a team.
    The biggest part of getting a high enough oral board score that will get you the badge is convincing the oral board you can do the job before you get it. Stories are convincing evidence that you are the match for the badge!

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Capt,
    Not sure if you read the OP question, but he didn't say anything about letters of recommendation.

Definitely include some references on that resume.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Capt,
    Not sure if you read the OP question, but he didn't say anything about letters of recommendation.

Definitely include some references on that resume.

thanks for answering the question
    Gregor Cameron
    Paid Call Firefighter
    Central Fire Protection District
    Santa Cruz, CA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GREGOR831 View Post
    I am going to a oral interview in a couple of weeks for a paid call ff job, and I need to bring a resume, since this is my first testing process and I am 18 I have never made a resume before. I have been looking online to see what a firefighter resume consists of and I got this:

OBJECTIVE

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

EDUCATION

ACTIVITIES

The only thing that I could think of that might be good to have are REFERENCES. Should I have them or leave them out??

any thought or tips for a better resume would be nice.

Thanks
    I guess cap'n bobby didn't have any canned responses for references. I will actually answer your question.

Here's the first rule of references; make sure that you have their permission to use their names. Here's the second rule of references; tell them every time you use them.

Now, as far as listing them on your resume, I would not do that. What I would do is have the information prepared, neatly, on a seperate page and provide it to them if asked. There will also be ample room on any application you fill out to provide the reference information.

Use discretion as to who you list. For example, no family members. You should find at least three references. At your age, it may be a good idea for you to find one, influential teacher from HS. This could be a guidance counselor, a coach or a teacher you had a special relationship with (not that kind of special relationship).

Secondly, if you are a vol. FF, you could get one of the officers in your FD who knows you and is aware of your career interests. Be careful that you list someone who can also communicate on an intelligent level with the English language.

Thirdly, there is probably someone you know in the business world or the government that you could use. This should be a person in a responsible position who has known you for a number of years and can attest to your maturity, honesty and integrity.

Just make sure you pay attention to the first two rules. Good luck.

Since I don't sell anything, feel free to IM me with any other questions you may have.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information