Thread: Closed threads

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well.............

I just wanted to get in before the Lock.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post And...........

All websites have an Owner, real or imagined, and every owner has a different Outlook on how business flows on their website. This happens to be a FREE site that allows folks to go at it in a public forum. BUT, the owner, or his/her/it's Employees, are also the Traffic Cops, regulating the Flow of........ well......... nevermind, you get the idea. I post on Forums in a few other different areas besides the Fire Service, and they all have their problems and their good sides. Some posts on a Forum in the Music field make folks here look kinda tame by comparision. Everything and Everybody is different, or has a different approach than everyone else. Personally, I'd like to see more sharing of differing viewpoints in a civilized manner, with those who want to rip your ......er .......ah ........parts off moving on to another venue like TWD. Except that a lot of stuff on that site is getting grabbed as well.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sense the "Web Team" (loose term) will not give any explanations to what goes on in here. Why not have the "Owners" come in here and let us know what they would like this forum to be molded into.

On a side note....if we all talked about how we could help Firehouse make more money, maybe, just maybe, these threads would stop disappearing.

On another side note.............................................. ...........................

Who cares!! Carry on!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I know one of the admins on a huge automotive message board. The license plate on his project car says "IB4TL"

Forum Member

All websites have an Owner, real or imagined, and every owner has a different Outlook on how business flows on their website. This happens to be a FREE site that allows folks to go at it in a public forum. BUT, the owner, or his/her/it's Employees, are also the Traffic Cops, regulating the Flow of........ well......... nevermind, you get the idea.
    You're right Harve, this is their site and they can do as they please. However, some explainations are really not much to ask, vs just closing a thread just because. That is really not moderation because there can be good information coming on threads, vs the opinion of just a few. Moderating would be to view the progress of a thread and if they see issues with how some members are posting, then they should be warning the members or turn the thread back on course with a warning that it could be shut down if issues persist.

Many discussions on here can be compared to discussions around the kitchen table at the firehouse. Not everyone has the same ideas or opinions and some dicussions can become pretty heated, yet despite differences firefighters work it out. When the tones go off, differences are set aside and people work together, even the same two who could have been screaming at each other minutes before. While we don't work together, there can be information passed and a discussion just shouldn't be shut down because the moderator is moody.

Personally I wonder if the moderators here have any type of firefighting knowledge or understand how firefighters operate? Shutting down threads with no explaination is ridiculous. Yes, it is their site and they can do as they wish, but shutting discussions down without explaination is like the spoiled kid, taking the ball and going home.

I don't view this webteam as forum police, because at least cops explain what you did wrong, these guys are more like a Gestapo.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

This is my biggest complaint about FH.com. Threads closed with no explanation and then the WT vanishes.

I'll bet a paycheck you start a thread about Kentland and it will be shut down in a heartbeat. What a freaking joke.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

makes good girls go bad

At least on other sites the mods contribute to the discussions, and are always around.

There are no hit and run attacks.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Permanently Removed

Me too...

MembersZone Subscriber

Many discussions on here can be compared to discussions around the kitchen table at the firehouse.
    The WT actually used this argument when they tried to defend a poster for making, what I would consider, a racially charged attack. The outcry over that defense, compared to some of the ridiculous reasons people get banned here, made them ban the guy anyway. I suspect that this recent rash of thread closings could be in retaliation for that.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    I know one of the admins on a huge automotive message board. The license plate on his project car says "IB4TL"
    I was just thinking that could be a good plate for a gun owner these days too.

BTW,

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Banned

All websites have an Owner, real or imagined, and every owner has a different Outlook on how business flows on their website. This happens to be a FREE site that allows folks to go at it in a public forum. BUT, the owner, or his/her/it's Employees, are also the Traffic Cops, regulating the Flow of........ well......... nevermind, you get the idea. I post on Forums in a few other different areas besides the Fire Service, and they all have their problems and their good sides. Some posts on a Forum in the Music field make folks here look kinda tame by comparision. Everything and Everybody is different, or has a different approach than everyone else. Personally, I'd like to see more sharing of differing viewpoints in a civilized manner, with those who want to rip your ......er .......ah ........parts off moving on to another venue like TWD. Except that a lot of stuff on that site is getting grabbed as well.
    A forum should be a place for an OPEN and FREE exchange of opinion and ideas. One should not have to worry that their opinion will get them banned or a time out. Sending someone to the penalty box because the other children complained or they are argumentative is silly at best. Certainly some things are out of bounds. Sexually Explicit content, Racist Content, Hate Content, etc. But when one argues that 60 minute bottles are safer and better than 30 minute bottles the thread should not be closed nor should the user be time outed.

The owner needs to remember what the purpose of the forum is. It should be a one or two line mission statement. That statement should also be displayed upon logging into the forums. Additionally, when one is given a time out they should be told the exact reason, hard to correct bad behavior if you don't know what it is. There should also be a period where the person being banned can state their case so as to make informed decisions rather than one sided biased declensions.

Back In Black

Please close this thread!

Ha!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Please close this thread!

Ha!

Hey buddy, you could be hanging on by a thread!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Permanently Removed

Maybe the Web Team got laid off like everyone else in Corporate America?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-18-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Maybe the Web Team got laid off like everyone else in Corporate America?
    Either that, or they need to GET laid.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Either that, or they need to GET laid.
    I didn't post that because I KNEW you were going to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The WT actually used this argument when they tried to defend a poster for making, what I would consider, a racially charged attack. The outcry over that defense, compared to some of the ridiculous reasons people get banned here, made them ban the guy anyway. I suspect that this recent rash of thread closings could be in retaliation for that.
    They even stole that line. I wrote that about 3 or 4 posts before they did.
    You may not of agreed with it, but they stole it anyways damnit.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I didn't post that because I KNEW you were going to.

Motion by George, Seconded by Harve................
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

What ever happened to Woody? I remember when the man shut him down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Typical WR hit and run.

Don't come around for months.

Close down a bunch of threads and yell at a few people.

Go away without answering your CUSTOMERS!

Typical.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 11-19-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Back In Black

This thread is still open?

Would you look at that....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Testing........testy.....

one......two??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Changes

There are some personnel changes occuring and they may have some impact in the forum service you deserve. In the meantime, if you have an unresolved issue, contact me at william.carey@cygnusb2b.com, and I will either get you an answer or direct you to the responsible party. I cannot promise it will be an answer you want or like, but I will work on resolving any outstanding problems you may have. Some of you I have contacted directly in the past to resolve problems I have seen. I hope this vouches for a measure of agreeable change. If you have questions simply about the way in which some things are done, those can be asked as well. I am aware that some of you have lengthy amounts of "service" with various forums and moderation of such. I'm impressed with the ability in which you manage your personal time. If you can provide constructive ideas, that would be helpful. Keep in mind that the forums are not my primary or secondary responsibility so do not expect a same day reply.

Meanwhile, review the terms of service and posting guidelines. They are good reminders of how to interact and what you should expect from each other. This will be a foundation for future change and an area of review that I will personally use to resolve some problems.

Finally, if you cannot agree to disagree with another user then I ask that you simply take the high road and drop out of the thread(s). Bullying and threats are one thing, but some of the banter posted is not that much different than what is in the firehouse. I would expect each user to be an adult and take the good with the bad.

Thank you.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Good words from the 1 man "webteam".

Thank You Mr. Carey.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

makes good girls go bad

Bill, thanks for keeping us updated.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information