Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Closed threads

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Either that, or they need to GET laid.
    I didn't post that because I KNEW you were going to.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The WT actually used this argument when they tried to defend a poster for making, what I would consider, a racially charged attack. The outcry over that defense, compared to some of the ridiculous reasons people get banned here, made them ban the guy anyway. I suspect that this recent rash of thread closings could be in retaliation for that.
    They even stole that line. I wrote that about 3 or 4 posts before they did.
    You may not of agreed with it, but they stole it anyways damnit.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah............

I didn't post that because I KNEW you were going to.

Motion by George, Seconded by Harve................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

What ever happened to Woody? I remember when the man shut him down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Typical WR hit and run.

Don't come around for months.

Close down a bunch of threads and yell at a few people.

Go away without answering your CUSTOMERS!

Typical.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 11-19-2008 at 04:20 PM.

This thread is still open?

Would you look at that....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Testing........testy.....

one......two??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Changes

There are some personnel changes occuring and they may have some impact in the forum service you deserve. In the meantime, if you have an unresolved issue, contact me at william.carey@cygnusb2b.com, and I will either get you an answer or direct you to the responsible party. I cannot promise it will be an answer you want or like, but I will work on resolving any outstanding problems you may have. Some of you I have contacted directly in the past to resolve problems I have seen. I hope this vouches for a measure of agreeable change. If you have questions simply about the way in which some things are done, those can be asked as well. I am aware that some of you have lengthy amounts of "service" with various forums and moderation of such. I'm impressed with the ability in which you manage your personal time. If you can provide constructive ideas, that would be helpful. Keep in mind that the forums are not my primary or secondary responsibility so do not expect a same day reply.

Meanwhile, review the terms of service and posting guidelines. They are good reminders of how to interact and what you should expect from each other. This will be a foundation for future change and an area of review that I will personally use to resolve some problems.

Finally, if you cannot agree to disagree with another user then I ask that you simply take the high road and drop out of the thread(s). Bullying and threats are one thing, but some of the banter posted is not that much different than what is in the firehouse. I would expect each user to be an adult and take the good with the bad.

Thank you.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Good words from the 1 man "webteam".

Thank You Mr. Carey.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bill, thanks for keeping us updated.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Well put.

Thanks for the update.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bill;

You have helped me in the past and I appreciate it. But, I can't believe that you had anything to do with closing these threads. There were no TOS violations at all in most of them. It seemed that, although there was strong disagreement, that there were no threats or bullying. They seemed to be closed simply for the sake of shutting down dissent. A clear example of this was the online education vs. classroom ed. that was ongoing. There was strong disagreement. That is not a violation of the TOS. Yet, you let some (all) of the political threads continue despite the blatant viol;ation of the TOS.

I appreciate that you have other things to do, but some of these shutdowns were uncalled for.

Forum Member

Bill;

You have helped me in the past and I appreciate it. But, I can't believe that you had anything to do with closing these threads. There were no TOS violations at all in most of them. It seemed that, although there was strong disagreement, that there were no threats or bullying. They seemed to be closed simply for the sake of shutting down dissent. A clear example of this was the online education vs. classroom ed. that was ongoing. There was strong disagreement. That is not a violation of the TOS. Yet, you let some (all) of the political threads continue despite the blatant viol;ation of the TOS.

I appreciate that you have other things to do, but some of these shutdowns were uncalled for.

And since the disagreement was primarily between George and myself, I have to stand with George on this one. There was nothing against TOS in that particular thread, just personal disagreements and experiences, yet because some moderator was in a mood they just went along and closed it without any reasoning as to why. Meanwhile, as George also points out, political threads with much worse banter and disagreements continue to thrive and the education thread did not need to be shutdown. There is absolutely no rhyme or reasoning for shutting down some posts while others go untouched. There is seldom warnings given or even a reason why a thread is closed. Just arbitraily closing a thread down with no explaination is cowardly and childish, and as I mentioned previously, even a cop will say what you did wrong.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thanks for addressing some issues Bill, but as others have stated, your reply didnt address the issue at hand.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

" - your reply didnt address the issue at hand."
    True, however those issues were not mine to begin with. As I wrote, there are some changes happening and I voluntarily picked up this section of the site to try and correct the constant and recurring problems I saw, so that someone new doesn't inherit a broken system. Customer service in the forums has been hit or miss; sporadic; non existent. I believe this can and should be changed and will initially require paying greater attention to the users and their feedback.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    " - your reply didnt address the issue at hand."
    True, however those issues were not mine to begin with. As I wrote, there are some changes happening and I voluntarily picked up this section of the site to try and correct the constant and recurring problems I saw, so that someone new doesn't inherit a broken system. Customer service in the forums has been hit or miss; sporadic; non existent. I believe this can and should be changed and will initially require paying greater attention to the users and their feedback.
    That sheds a little more light on it. I hope you are succesful. Thanks for all you do.

Sounds good.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.....................

A big "Thumbs Up" to Bill......... A lot of us are used to working shorthanded, and life is no different in Bill's office, from what I've seen. Things that generate revenue always come ahead of "Freebies" in the Business World, and the Forums are a Freebie. That said, there are times when it does seem that a particular problem drags on and on, or is that a matter of perception by the users?..................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Again, to continue to help you with any reoccuring or unresolved problems, we have an email address for you, Firehouseforums@cygnusb2b.com. This email will go one other party and not just myself. And, again, we remind you to refer to the forum guidelines as well as the options (report, ignore) that are available to you. The better the direct communication between us, the better forum for you.

Bill Carey
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Thread Information