Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dalmatians

Default Dalmatians

I am thinking about getting a Dalmatian.

I heard they are very active and shed alot. Some of them have problems with going deaf, but I have also heard that they live for a very long time and have very few heath problems.

What has been everyone's experience with the animals?

Anything that I should be worried about/ know.
    Last edited by FireEeyore; 11-17-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Forum Member

talking to a breeder might be a better option.

I have a few friends that had dalmations, I've seen the same thing. They are very active and pure breeds have certain problem.

Very active is an understatement.

They are royal pains in the ***, and will not take NO for an answer. No means, no, you cant do that at this time. Please feel free to try again shortly.
    Young pups are very hyper, up to about 5 or so years of age. Walks, runs, and lots of attention are what they crave.

Shedding alot is also an understatement. They shed everywhere, and by the ton.

Anti social is pretty much the norm. Dals are guard dogs. They will bark at anything that might encroach their territory. Once you get inside, they are sweethearts.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Dalmatians can be extremely mean, more so than you're average dog.

FireEeyore,

I have two Dals right now. Dilly 13 1/2 years old, and Mesa is 9 months old. She is my avatar. I had to put another down last April with cancer. Dals will require lots of your time so be prepared. DO NOT get a Dal if you live in an apartment. They need lots of exercise and if they are cooped up in an small area, they will grow restless and channel that energy, usually by chewing up everything in sight. They will need to walked every day, usually at least a mile or two. They need consistent, daily training.
    Like most pure-bred dogs, Dals have medical problems. Deafness is one of them. Be sure the dog you get has had a BAER hearing test. Hip Dysplasia can be another problem.
    Shedding- Most people think that because they are short coated dogs, they don't shed a lot. In fact, a Dal only sheds three times in itheir life- MORNING,NOON and NIGHT. Because most of the hair you see is white, it shows up very well. Get a good vacuum cleaner. Brush them daily. The advantage to the shedding is that the Dal is a very clean dog and doesn't get a "doggy" smell and doesn't require frequent baths.
    Training- Dals are very smart, but also very stubborn. They will learn commands, but after that, they will only follow them if they want to. They are problem solvers and if they can't get there way, they will just find another way.
    Example- I tried to train my Dals to stay out of the kitchen. When one tried to come in, I would stop him with a command at one door to the kitchen. He did, obeying my command. He then promptly ran around to the other door and got in the kitchen. So, he followed my orders, to a point.
    Dals are very athletic and fast runners. I had to build a six-foot high fence around my backyard because my Dals could jump a four-foot high fence.
    Dals can be very aggressive and territorial. They will bark at anything that comes near them.
    Be very careful with them around kids. They love to be petted, but if a kid gets to close to their face, they can bite. I had hoped to use my first Dal for fire safety training in schools and taught it to Stop, Drop and Roll. But because it would snap if kids got too close, I could not use her safely around kids. It was not her fault. Kids just don't know when they are getting too close.
    Here is a tip-Do not get a Dal just because you are a firefighter and they are the "fire dog". Get a Dal because it is a great dog if raised properly and will give years of love to offer.
    Before getting a Dal, talk to owners of Dals about their dogs and visit a dog show to make contact with owners/breeders. Look on the Web for Dalmatian Rescue groups. My last two Dals were from Dalmatian Rescue of Colorado www.dalmatianrescue.org.
    I know this may all sound like a Dal is a horrible dog to have. They are not. At least for me and my wife. We can't imagine owning any other breed. But recognize, they need special attention and care to stay happy. I hope this helps you out and good luck if you get a Dal.
    Last edited by Lifeguard911; 11-18-2008 at 12:59 AM.

I've been around several. All as dumb as a wet sack of hammers.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    I've been around several. All as dumb as a wet sack of hammers.
    Spoken like a true hammer.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeguard911 View Post
    Dals can be very aggressive and territorial. They will bark at anything that comes near them.
    I know that first hand. My base is the only base in the CF that has a Dalmatian living in the firehall. I remember I had to go over one day for something and not knowing about her just walked into the apparatus bay. That's when I ran into the dog. She went ape s*** and pretty much ran me out of there. Once one of the guys came out and she relaxed, sniffed me down she was the nicest dog ever.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Before we were married, my wife had Dobermans. She says the Dalmatians are very similiar in tempermant to a Dobie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeguard911 View Post
    Before we were married, my wife had Dobermans. She says the Dalmatians are very similiar in tempermant to a Dobie.
    Thanks for the information on the previous posts. I have owned a Doberman before, ( grew up with them). The last dog I had was a mutt. It was part Greyhound though and was SUPER energetic. Another pet I had growing up was a collie. Very territorial and it seems they have some very similar traits.

Please consider adopting a dog from an animal shelter or rescue organization.

There are thousands of dogs waiting for their new "forever home" that are already housebroken, trained and waiting for someone to share their love and companionship with.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

I have to echo what Lifeguard911 said... and Gonz

The dal our family had (which we got thru the Dalmation Rescue of Colorodo) was a wonderful dog. She was 4 when we got her.

Stubborn - yes at times, She was great with our kids and a great guard dog.
    Loved to run, we lived in the country at the time and she would take a mile or two run each day.

Shedding... holy smokes, but a good diet seemed to slow it down. Feeding her Old Roy made her shed like a snowstorm and fart like a pack mule!

When she would get mad at us, she would get in the bathtub/shower and eat the bar of soap. The footprints in the tub were the give away.

We ultimately put her down due to arthritis in the spine. But she was a great dog. A good friend had a male dal, and he was a mess.

It all comes down to the time, training and the dogs own personality.
    Last edited by mtnfireguy; 11-21-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Whatever you get-please follow Gonzo's advice "Go for a Animal Rescue dog"-some of these guys have been to the "Hanoi Hilton" plus some

Remember there ain't no bad dogs just bad owners.

I have 50 kilo of love wrapped up in a American Bulldog from a Animal shelter
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *