Thread: Need Some Help

Default Need Some Help

I currently live in ohio just south of columbus i just finished and got my firefirghting I & II card but i have run into alittle problem.....it is so hard to get a job over here in ohio as a firefighter i have family that live in saint louis and have told me to try over there....I do not know if anyone is hireing around saint louis and if they are i was wondering what stations and the qualifications to be hired...i am also currently working on getting my emt-basic card....if anyone can help me on this little delimma i would really appreciate it

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I've always understood, to get a job in or near St. Louis you have to graduate from their academy. Just having FF I and II (even Missouri's certification) doesn't cut it for some reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    From what I've always understood, to get a job in or near St. Louis you have to graduate from their academy. Just having FF I and II (even Missouri's certification) doesn't cut it for some reason.
    political, political, political.....
    In order to work in St. Louis County you have to have the county academy and it is hard to get into . It is possible (although difficult) to get hired without the academy and then the hiring department can put you in as a priority one student. It is also possible (although even more difficult) to get hired as an EMT, but, most all of the departments/districts require you to be a paramedic.

This district hires without the academy but you have to be a paramedic http://www.mehlvillefire.com

Here is the link to the application process for the academy.
    http://stlcofireacademy.com/Application_Process.html

Good Luck...

Default St. Louis Fire

Hey man. I live in Jefferson City, MO. Its my understanding that St. Louis is very hard to get onto. They like to hire from within the pool of city employees. A lot of people take jobs with other departments in the city and lateral in. Good Luck!

Forum Member

Default Mehlville?

Batt403,
    Do you recommend applying to Mehlville? At first look, it appears that there is some turmoil between the ranks and the Board. Is it a good place to get on? I am a "nearby" FF/Medic (Non-stl Co - I have had no luck in the Stl Co Academy lottery so far) and would like to get on with a larger FD/FPD like Mehlville. Should I test there?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    Batt403,
    Do you recommend applying to Mehlville? At first look, it appears that there is some turmoil between the ranks and the Board. Is it a good place to get on? I am a "nearby" FF/Medic (Non-stl Co - I have had no luck in the Stl Co Academy lottery so far) and would like to get on with a larger FD/FPD like Mehlville. Should I test there?
    Sent you a private message in reply to yours...

Forum Member

hey pal, I'm in a similar boat but trying to land a job on the KC side, from my understanding it is difficult for to get into St.Louis, Try www.firecareers.com. it has done wonders for me. it will list all openings in any of the states.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was looking for a job (in St. Louis County) I searched the St. Louis Post Dispatch http://www.stltoday.com/hotjobs every Sunday.

There are also a few departments that only advertise on their web site or that require you to come in and put a letter of intent in.

MembersZone Subscriber

The county fire academy has also started posting job openings on their site.
    http://stlcofireacademy.com/Job_Openings.html

Thread Information