Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question for the experts

I have a question. I have called DHS/AFG about this. Even though they are very helpful I still did not quite understand. As we have been working on getting the bid specs lined up and getting ready to put them out there. We have come to realize that in the past 8 months since the submission of the grant application that prices have changed severely. Some went up and others went down. Overall though I believe we may have some extra funds left over. Not much but enough to get something extra, (this is a maybe). Now from what I understand I must purchase the quantity of items that I submitted for, 6 of this 4 of that, but is it alright to buy an extra one of those items or something in addition to those items without putting an admendment on the application? I think they were trying to explain to me that I have a 10% (or $5000 i think if over $50,000 award) to purchase whatever as long as the submitted items were purchased, but I am not sure. From what I gather this amount would not need an admendment, again as long as the submitted items were purchased. Is this correct? I am slightly confused on this point as our previous grant awards I did not run into this dilemna.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Cappy,
    Yes you can buy more of what you asked for. Remember that the 5k money is minus what ever your match was, 5 or 10 %
    As long as you are buying more of the same stuff you do not need an amendment. If you are wanting to buy something totally new you will need to check on the amendmant with your rep.

Forum Member

Keep in mind that if the grant request qty had been reduced in the 10q's email, you cannot purchase above the reduced amount, if they feel you only need "X" number of an item you wont be able to shop around to try to buy more, you are limited to the number your grant was reduced to, otherwise, use the extra $$ as excess and bulk up on the other grant items, staying within the guidelines.

ie: your original grant request was for 20 sets of turnout gear and the 10 q's state that 20 sets is excessive and will only fund 16, you can only purchase 16 regardless of how cheap you find them.

R

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Cappy,
    Remember that the 5k money is minus what ever your match was, 5 or 10 %
    So this means that if our match was $1000 then we can use $4000 for excess?

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

you still have to spend your part of the match no matter how much your excess is. If you spend 4000 in excess you still have to spend your 1000 in match.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    you still have to spend your part of the match no matter how much your excess is. If you spend 4000 in excess you still have to spend your 1000 in match.
    Yes thank you. You would not believe how difficult time I have had trying to explain that to our Board.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    Yes thank you. You would not believe how difficult time I have had trying to explain that to our Board.

There isnt anyone on this forum that doesnt feel your pain

I have never had to fight so hard to get 5 people to agree to purchase vital equipment at 95% off!

R
    Last edited by AZO1026; 11-17-2008 at 01:47 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I make that same fight every year on behalf of departments just to allow them to apply, which is free.

Cappy on the matching that means the % matching not amount. If you're 20% match then yes it would be $1000 local to $4000 fed. And you can use that $5000 total to take excess from something that was cheaper to something that was more expensive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I make that same fight every year on behalf of departments just to allow them to apply, which is free.

Cappy on the matching that means the % matching not amount. If you're 20% match then yes it would be $1000 local to $4000 fed. And you can use that $5000 total to take excess from something that was cheaper to something that was more expensive.
    Oh boy....now I think I am a little more confused. I will go ahead and post aq little more info.

It is a small award for $38,000 for misc equipment, nozzles, ladders, radios, etc. Our match is 5%, which is $1900. Our new intial estimates could possibly put the total of applied for equipment at around $36,000, leaving $2000. Could this money be used to buy extra nozzles, ladders, radios, etc., or even something that was not applied for but will compliment the items such as brackets or whatever? And is it is compliment item do I need to put an admendment in?

Also i have not said this yet but Thanks guys. I just do not know what to do in this situation.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, can do. Since your match is 5% then you could use up to $4750 of their money in leftovers with $250 of yours to make the $5000. Under that amount you can buy anything you need in the equipment category that's eligible to apply for in the program. So the brackets, nozzles, etc are all fair game no amendment needed.

Forum Member

Thanks a bunch

Forum Member

To CYA, just get a list together and drop an email to your grant coordinator and explain what you want to do and they will reply with an approval or tell you why it doesnt qualify, if approved, print off the email and put it in the ever growing folder of grant paperwork. Our coordinator actually gave me a few good uses for excess funds that I hadnt thought of, examples of what others had done, very helpful.

R

Thread Information