Question Portable that works like a Minitor

Hi guys,
    First time poster... does anyone know of a portable that will store voice just like a Minitor. I realize that portables can page off of tones like a Minitor, we have ours setup for this. But my main concern is the stored voice functionality. We mainly use Vertex radios and there is a recording module, however, to the best of my knowledge it does not work like a Minitor; page... record for 30 sec - 1 minute... push a button to replay it, simple! It has to be this simple for our senior officers which are used to this functionality. We are not tied to Vertex in anyway, I just want something thats going to work.

TIA,
    Daniel

Forum Member

Default portable

Welcome to Firehouse. I believe the Icom F-50 (VHF high conventional) and the F-60 (Uhf convensional) will do this for you. I do not believe motorola has anything out for this and doubt but not totally sure on Kenwood. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, also let me know if you go with Icom Ihave recomendations for a speaker mic that is not icoms.

Forum Member

There is a pretty cheap Kenwood that has voice storage. I've got a 15channel VHF that has voice storage and one of the channels allows for the pager type function.

Forum Member

They make voice storage boards for a lot of make/model radios, including motorola. However I urge you to find a dealer who will let you demo it first. Call alert driven voice storage is not a primary function of these radios and therefore is not always a user-friendly function. Try them out before you buy it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

motorola ht1550 vhf has voice storage built in but its a pricey radio.

as mentioned I think the HT750 and HT1250 models can have a board added to do voice storage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Vertex

Vertex does make a decent radio with page and voice storage and will record the WHOLE page (unlike minitors...in case your dispatch is a little wordy with their pages). I've had a Vertex Standard VX-424 (i believe) with the page and stored voice. Stored voice (recording) can be turned on and off and replay is at the push of a button. I have mine programmed at my local dealer, however, with the right tools I'm told is very easy if you wanted to service your own radios. All-in-all, i've been very pleased with my radios. Contact me and I'll get some additional info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffnukkie1617 View Post
    Vertex does make a decent radio with page and voice storage and will record the WHOLE page (unlike minitors...in case your dispatch is a little wordy with their pages). I've had a Vertex Standard VX-424 (i believe) with the page and stored voice. Stored voice (recording) can be turned on and off and replay is at the push of a button. I have mine programmed at my local dealer, however, with the right tools I'm told is very easy if you wanted to service your own radios. All-in-all, i've been very pleased with my radios. Contact me and I'll get some additional info.
    I have a Vertex Standard VX-424 and the programming software for it. The voice storage module is available as an option. I think it does 2 min of recording after a page. I really like it.

talktwoway.net

Most Kenwood models will work also, with the VGS-1 Voice Storage board installed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our supplier tells me that Vertex 420, 820, 920 series can upgrade to stored voice (one button) for $50.

MembersZone Subscriber

duplicate post

Thread Information