Forum Member

Default How tough will it get?

I have a fairly strong belief that times will get tough for many in the next year.....those who have struggled with profitability....lack of brand identity....enough volume to support large operations.....etc etc etc.....will find the new budget year a little too tough to stay the course. I think that "buyers beware" will once again come to the forefront. While the ALF scenario made everyone shudder....I think it only sends a signal and many will now let their guard down when talking with what is perceived to be "sound" manufacturers. I think there are SEVERAL "bubble" companies right now....the announcment below is what I "feel" to be the start of tougher times for Pierce and others....those Appleton and Bradenton faciltities are big monesters to feed! Why do I say these things? I think buyers are once again becoming complacent again...using the old mindset of "so and so buys them....so they must be fine"....dig deeper and buy smarter.....the next fire truck manufacturer shuffle is not far down the road in my eyes....ONLY an opinion...and the Federal monies and bailout funds need to be cut from somewhere...

Tampa Bay Business Journal - by Jane Meinhardt Staff Writer
    BRADENTON Pierce Manufacturing, maker of firefighting apparatus, ambulances and military vehicles, is shifting gears.

The wholly owned subsidiary of Oshkosh Corp. in Oshkosh, Wis., and the largest manufacturer of fire and emergency apparatus in North America, intends to roll out its last Medtec ambulance in late January or early February.
    The Bradenton company is phasing out production of Medtec ambulances and will concentrate on manufacturing firefighting apparatus, including a new line of apparatus, at the plant.

A mainstay in Manatee County's manufacturing arena, Pierce will shift its employees from the Medtec assembly line to other segments and plans no layoffs, said spokeswoman Linda Bartelt. Pierce employs about 400 people at the Bradenton facility.

Does the above inscinuate that Pierce is going out of business or slander them? HECK NO - They are a good company! All I am saying is...its going to get tough out there...and with Pierce prices at $20-30-40-$100,000 over everyone else...the sledding is getting tougher and tough to feed these huge plants.

Stay safe and good fishing!

Fish

Forum Member

It looks like Pierce is playing smart. Concentrating on what they do best. No layoffs, just realignment. They tend to do that from time to time. I can remember when they had quite a presence in the utility body market. They were smart enough to realize that they should close the utility line down and use that space to build fire trucks.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it as some kind of ominous sign or omen. They are just making what they feel is a wise business decision. If they were doing it for purely financial reasons there would be some pink slips involved.

Wonder what the new product will be?

Forum Member

One would think the bradenton facility will see more activity and appleton less over time. One would also think the costs of production at bradenton are less than appleton.

Forum Member

I thought MedTec had started being phased out a while ago.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Am-blan-ces

I just think it is another example of fire truck companies not being competitive in the amblance business. E-One got in and back out of the ambulance business. Then ALF. And now Pierce.
    I think Spartan has an ambulance division. Are they next?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I think Spartan has an ambulance division. Are they next?
    Road Rescue

Forum Member

Do they still make the majority of ambulances at the original Medtec facility in Goshen, IN? I took it that they just were not going to continue building them in Bradenton to free up space for the Contender line?

Forum Member

That news story is actually a little misleading. Yes, Medtec is stopping production of ambulances in Florida. However, they are consolidating all the operations back at their Goshen plant. They are not getting out of manufacturing ambulances.

Forum Member

Default More on Pierce\Medtec

heck out this link for more on the Pierce\medtec situation.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/11/17/story4.html?b=1226898000^1731803

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Oshkosh begosh

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081118/20081118005892.html?.v=1

While Oshkosh is stopping building ambulances in Florida. they are building a plant in China to build JGL lifts. They also opened an office in Shanghi to source China parts for their products. More jobs going offshore!
    I wonder what China parts are going to start showing up on Pierce pumpers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire2eagle View Post
    heck out this link for more on the Pierce\medtec situation.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/11/17/story4.html?b=1226898000^1731803
    I pasted that into my browser and didn't really see anything about Pierce.

In a somewhat related item I have been told Pierce can't get bid bonds now because of the financial status of of Osh Kosh. Does anyone know this to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    In a somewhat related item I have been told Pierce can't get bid bonds now because of the financial status of of Osh Kosh. Does anyone know this to be true?
    I doubt that, but can let you know for sure Saturday. A local dept is having a bid opening that morning and they are requiring a bid bond and 100% performance bond.
    "If they pull a knife, you pull a gun. If they come after you with a gun, you go after them with a Howitzer. If they put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue."

Reliance

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Medtec

This link is the same article that was quoted in the first post by FireFish63.
    No new news here.
    http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...l?jst=cn_cn_lk

Forum Member

Default Bids

We up here in Northern Idaho just had our bids opened for our new Pumper/Tanker. There were three bidding and they all had exceptions to our bids. I think that it is not uncommon for them to do that.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

We have no problems at all getting bid bonds from them here in NJ.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    Not likely.

Especially with bid bonds. All a bid bond means is that the bidder is willing to sign a contract for what he bid. If not, he forfeits the bond amount.

As for performance bonds, I imagine they don't cost Pierce much at all because they are based on....performance. When was the last time a Pierce was rejected and a bond cashed in?

Even in its faltering state, Oshkosh is a big player with plenty of money. Their fixed assets alone dwarf all of their competitors except Rosenbauer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sven73 View Post
    We have no problems at all getting bid bonds from them here in NJ.
    Someone on these forums tried to convince me that the dealers were supplying performance bonds in NJ. I found it hard to believe. Have you seen such a thing on a full fledged fire apparatus?

Thread Information