Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe "explosion" is a vague word.

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...5-0000583.html
    "(The second burned firefighter) was standing beside the vehicle when it exploded. He found his son inside the burning vehicle curled up into a ball attempting to protect his face from the flames. (The second burned firefighter) and Safety pulled (the first burned firefighter) out of the vehicle in less than 30 seconds after the explosion."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...6-0000024.html
    "Suddenly there was a violent explosion and the car, a mini van, was enveloped in a huge ball of fire."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...8-0000032.html
    "Crew was flaking hose out and putting facepieces in place about 60 feet away from the vehicle. As the line was being charged, a large explosion occurred that enveloped the entire vehicle in fire."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...5-0000670.html
    "He stretched a fast attack line from the engine with another firefighter as the Engine officer approached the driver’s side car door. The truck officer was checking a nearby residence for any signs of exposure. At this time there was an awesome explosion, “like a bomb went off”, described by crewmembers on scene. The officer looked up to see a blur fly over a fence several hundred feet down the street at a high rate of speed. The firefighter stretching the hose line was luckily approaching the vehicle at a 45 degree angle as taught in academy, and saw a large metal object fly by about 10 feet in front of him with incredible speed. The truck officer found the male end of a gas bumper shock about 100 feet down the road, the rod was steel, about 18” long and 1-2 lbs, in addition to several large bolts which had the nuts still screwed on. There was no warning to the explosion."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...8-0000591.html
    "As we placed the line on the ground, we heard an explosion from the vehicle and one of the pistons from the rear hatch was catapulted about five feet from the nozzle."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...6-0000215.html
    "While waiting for a hoseline to be repositioned and others to obtain tools, the group of 5 were staged approximately 15' from the smoldering vehicle at a 45 degree angle. Suddenly a loud explosion was heard and the front right bumper strut shot out. This 5" x 10" piece of metal with a shock welded to the back of it hit some other cars before coming to rest approximately 50-60' away."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...5-0000215.html
    "An explosion took place from the vehicle with no additional fire produced."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...5-0000519.html
    "While on one knee, directly in front of the bumper I heard an explosion. An engine hood strut struck me in the forearm."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...6-0000208.html
    "As I stretched more line, I noticed the 1 ton tires were now involved on the inside. I motioned to my partner to hit underneath with the line. As I turned around to check the water status in the tank, I heard a loud explosion. It felt like someone had shoved me from behind. I turned around, saw that a tire had blown off the crane, throwing it from the breakdown lane all the way into the middle of the center travel lane."

http://www.firefighternearmiss.com/g...6-0000213.html
    "Later we found what was a nitrous oxide tank in the trunk of a car fully involved in an auto body shop. The tank violently ripped apart. It literally tore the rear end of the car off."

Source is The National Firefighter Near-Miss Reporting System. Searched using keywords "vehicle explosion". I only pulled the ones, after reading, that were directly related to a vehicle in the narrative.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

we actually just had a lawn mower fire ourselves. (came in as a fully involved tractor fire close to a house and heavly wooded area, it was a 10hp lawn mover in the middle of the yard, pretty much burnt up) however, we packed up considering it came in as a fully involved "tractor", we pulled on scene and ended up just using our trash line, i had my pack on but didn't find it neccesary to use air because of our placement upwind.

I think it's a good idea to (at the least) to have your pack on your back and ready to go... you never know what is gonna change.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Serious question....for those who say they where SCBAs for all fires....does that include prolonged exterior operations at structure fires?
    We do, the only operation we do NOT pack up for would be grass fires.

Forum Member

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Eng...-Explosion.htm

http://www.topix.com/ca/cayuga-on/20...ower-explosion

http://www.wkbn.com/news/local/25627839.html

Just a few lawn Mower explosions. Not on fire fighters but yes they are lawn mower explosions. If i had time to research the Firefighter Injury statistics I would bet there wold be one there also.

MembersZone Subscriber

I find it ironic that so many are taking up the case of using their mask on a lawn mower fire when I just spent the last two weeks viewing the same scene on the nightly news....

...1000s of firemen in California not wearing a mask let alone using one when every house, tree and blade of grass is on fire around them....yet there is no cry or comment from the Mask up for a smelly fart crowd.

Use the reach of the stream to your advantage and knock it down from a distance.

If something explodes your mask is not going to protect you from many projectiles.

FTM-PTB

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Well it should be obvious that lawn mowers, riding mowers, and cars don't blow up.
    Thanks for saying that.

22 years and i've never seen it. I've had some tires let loose, but never a gas tank.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Simple solution:

Wear it if you want to or your FD says you have to.

Don't wear it if your FD says you don't have to and you don't want to.

Why does everything have to be so frigging hard? This topic seems like a damn no brainer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

Use the reach of the stream to your advantage and knock it down from a distance.

FTM-PTB
    It's not friggin rocket science, just do it. Open the line then move in. Don't move in until the wax in you ears melts then open the nozzle.
    There's a bit of distance with a can too for that ****y mattress while waiting for the engine to hook to the standpipe.
    Last edited by len1582; 11-21-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    There's a bit of distance with a can too for that ****y mattress while waiting for the engine to hook to the standpipe.
    Please! Im on my 4 off right now. Im not in the mood of thinking about ****y mattresses.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

What about a gas powered leaf blower? You can never be too safe, right?

Lawnmower fire??? Best topic in awhile...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Well it should be obvious that lawn mowers, riding mowers, and cars don't blow up.
    Didn't you watch CHiPs and Emergency! when you were a kid? Anything can blow up if you roll it on it's side and play some snappy jazz in the background.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

"Well it should be obvious that lawn mowers, riding mowers, and cars don't blow up"

Dude, they do to blow up check out the link

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/529165...car_explosion/

Forum Member

"As a rule of thumb we say all fires to prevent someone form thinking "

This is why sometimes I dont like SOP's they can tend to make people lose the ability to make their own decisions.

Forum Member

Exclamation Stirring the Pot

I can't say for lawn mowers. But there are some vehicles with body panels that, when burning, give off cinanide gas. Wind shifts, you get a whiff (which you can't smell), and you get to be the latest heralded LODD hero. I don't think I will push my luck since I plan to see my kid grow up.
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Smoke is bad for you??? Really

I wouldn't go on air, but the packs would be on our backs. Last time I checked a hose stream can go a good 70 feet and still apply water to burning objects.

We use water to cool the fire , not turnout gear. So stand back and hose it down. On air? Nope.

Forum Member

ffmed, that is exactly what I did. I knocked it down from about 15 feet away with a 1" booster line and had it extinguished in about 3 minutes. Simple and nothing too it, but as someone previously stated, SOP's and SOG's run wild now-a-days and so I was curious as to other department's take on fires such as this.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

MembersZone Subscriber

We would have the pack on before even getting off the engine, so no I would not take it off to extinguish the fire but probably would mask up upon seeing what you described. The only story I have similar was a propane fueled forklift at walmart. Didnt mask up at that either (it was also out in the parking lot away from exposures). Knocked the fire down and got the propane cylinder off there ASAP but the rupture disc had already done its job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Meant to say probably would NOT mask up in that previous post.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also had a four wheeler in a big field that ended up being a small brush fire that we ended up using class a foam on after extinguishing what was left of the four wheeler.

Forum Member

Smile my input

im not experienced but ive discussed this kinda stuff with very experienced firefighters enough to kno that whenever you are dispatched for any kind of fire you should atleast put the pack on just in case..... if you want to take chances go ahead but all kinda materials burning in vehicles , lawn mowers, tractors, atvs, etc. can and will produce some kind of harmful gas/smoke/vapor.

using the reach of your hose to your advantage is smart..... knock it from a safe distance and once its knocked down pretty good...if not all the way...go in and finish up..

also staying up wind is always good

something tells me that someones going to put me and my thoughts down

Forum Member

Exclamation SCBA.... All the time, no questions asked!!!

Anytime we have a structural, car, mower and smoke is present wear it!!! I still cant beleive that firefighters are taking chances with all this toxic smoke around.

Forum Member

I say why take the chance. I know if we were dispatched to a mower fire, I would go ahead and have the pack on my back. You should look at it from the aspect of you don't know what the 911 caller is thinking. To them, the "riding mower" they called in could be a fully involved large size tractor such as the type they use to mow roadsides or a bushhog/finish mower tractor, which I would think anyone would pack out for. I would say that any fire that is not natural materials i.e. woods fire, you should pack out. It doesn't hurt to be prepared. I would rather spend a few minutes on air dousing a small fire than sucking in any of the nasty crap that might be burning.

Forum Member

"SCBA.... All the time, no questions asked"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post
    SCBA? I doubt if I would. If I stepped off the truck with it in place maybe, but I still doubt it.
    30+ years in the fire service and I still get a kick out of the lack of common sense. Have we gotten to the point that we need a SOP/SOG for everything?

Good Lord, keep your face out of the smoke, put some water on the fire, pick-up and go home.

BTW What does “G” in SOG stand for?
    Last edited by confire; 12-09-2008 at 05:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post
    "SCBA.... All the time, no questions asked"!!!

30+ years in the fire service and I still get a kick out of the lack of common sense. Have we gotten to the point that we need a SOP/SOG for everything?

Good Lord, keep your face out of the smoke, put some water on the fire, pick-up and go home.

BTW What does “G” in SOG stand for?

Exactly, does anyone wear one while using your charcoal grill??? That can be considered Class B for a time if you use lighter fluid and it does produce CO??? The answer is no, you keep your face out of the smoke.

MembersZone Subscriber

probably not. just depends on the circumstances. Just keep your distance. IMHO
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information