Forum Member

Our policy says SCBA for all fires execpt grass fires. But in reality, SCBA would be on our back when we got off the engine but the fire would probably be out with a 1 3/4 before we went on air. Common sense is not that uncommon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cchiasson17 View Post
    Anytime we have a structural, car, mower and smoke is present wear it!!! I still cant beleive that firefighters are taking chances with all this toxic smoke around.
    This is the equivalent to the entire staff at a hospitals emergency room walking around in surgical scrubs and facemasks in the event a patient with a communicable disease walks in.

If the situation warrants it, wear it. But an outside rubbish fire, a grill burning, a mover in the yard or a car on the street hardly warrants it.

To each his own I guess.

Forum Member

i would probably wear it on woods fires too.......

and i know that woods fires are a situation where u want the least weight possible...

so maybe not SCBA but like a facemask or somethin light because even smoke from natural materials can be dangerous

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post

BTW What does “G” in SOG stand for?
    Guideline.

Forum Member

With the information given I would have the pack on the back but not on air.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BQVFDjrFF210 View Post
    im not experienced but ive discussed this kinda stuff...
    .....something tells me that someones going to put me and my thoughts down
    Not going to kick you kid. You're first post wasn't a bad one. Glad you didn't come across like some know it all ******. Welcome to the club and make sure you get some tough skin if you plan to do some posting..

Forum Member

Smile

I always have it on, i may or may not put the mask on but I always have the SCBA on my back @ any type of vehicle fire, lawnmower or such, Fire alarms. what have you.
    Cuz I wanna know that if I need it its there for me.
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Not sure if I would,but I do know I would have the pack on in case I decided I needed it, for instance I had responded to an open area fire in the middle of the night, pulled up and it was a small pile of sticks burning at the corner of an intersection. We pulled the water can out and stomped it down. Everything was going fine until we looked down and found a pile of used diapers sitting in a hole that was dug, burning under the sticks. You never know what or why people do what they do. The moral of this story is I never leave the rig without my SCBA. The way I look at it is, you get to whatever's on fire and by the time you've realized its time for some fresh air, it's prob. to late. Your lungs, but I believe better safe than sorry.
    t2guinness
    "Bráithreachas roimh gach uile ní"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I can't see wearing it. I'm all for safety, but this job will be out real quick.

You don't have to get close or even get in the smoke to put it out. With a vehicle, you have to get right in there... it's different.

The regs say that if you are entering an IDLH environment you are supposed to, but I think it's questionable that this is an IDLH environment.
    I like your point of why get near it, but disagree with not wearing in. It seems when we get into a habit in the fire service it is hard to get out of it. Practice like your going to play. If you get out and see that it is a mower and decide you do not need it, other guys will see this and you never know how it will be taken. What's to say the next car fire you get on some people will get out and say ahhh its only an interior seat fire, it will be out in a second and they don't mask up. The fact is you never know what will happen. Complacency kills

Forum Member

Why not where it? I guess I am confused, if in doubt wear it, it doesn't effect your performance if you are wearing it. I would rather wear it and not have health issues 10 years down the line.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by ajpettis3 View Post
    I like your point of why get near it, but disagree with not wearing in. It seems when we get into a habit in the fire service it is hard to get out of it. Practice like your going to play. If you get out and see that it is a mower and decide you do not need it, other guys will see this and you never know how it will be taken. What's to say the next car fire you get on some people will get out and say ahhh its only an interior seat fire, it will be out in a second and they don't mask up. The fact is you never know what will happen. Complacency kills
    How far are you willing to take that?

Should we be wearing air for brush fires?

What about a campfire?

At what point is it okay not to wear it if something is on fire?

Just curious what you think.

Thanks
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I can't believe we're still debating this. Honestly speaking, if we get a run for a lawnmower in a yard on fire, I am probably not even putting on my turnouts, let alone packing up.

Like I said, we don't pack up for car fires. I doubt a push mower, hell even a rider could be any worse.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I can't believe we're still debating this. Honestly speaking, if we get a run for a lawnmower in a yard on fire, I am probably not even putting on my turnouts, let alone packing up.

Like I said, we don't pack up for car fires. I doubt a push mower, hell even a rider could be any worse.
    You make me sick...what's next? No hood for the bathtub BBQ?

Forum Member

Default I always packed up

I always packed up, maybe for safety ... maybe to "look" the part. Anyways one time on a car fire by the time we packed up it was already put out ... doesnt encourage you to do it the right way the next time.

Forum Member

I would at least pack up for the call just because you never know what actually is going on. I got caught once on a car fire not packing up and pulling into the block not only having a car fire but a house fire as well. I guess dispatch didn't think the house being on fire was that big a deal. But pulling hose while putting a pack on at the same time will only be done once. I'd rather have it and not need then need it and not have it.

Forum Member

We are fortunate in our county to have multiple portable cascade systems as well as one of each stationary and mobile compressor.

This being said I tell my guys air is free. USE IT!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Our dept's sog's state you always pack up on a fire call. God help you if you get caught not wearing one before IC gives all clear. I think its easier to take off then to have to double time back to the truck if you need it in a hurry. Furthermore I learned my lesson way back when. I was doing training with portable extingushers one day and we quickly had a wind shift and about 10 of us ate a good amount of smoke on a small pit fire. I coughed for a week after that.

Forum Member

Default Air is free

I like the comment that air is free so why not use it ?

With all the **** we breathe why not limit it where we can?

Remember cancer is also free but few of us want to take advantage of that offer.

Our unofficial rule is if we have to hump it to a distant brush fire we doff the packs, otherwise we're expected to wear them. We have alot of poison ivy in our area and try to be cautious even at brush fires.

Now this is not to say we don't have members walking into CO and/or odor of gas alarms, overhaul and small fire conditions without the pack, we do, but... we're trying to change that thinking.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by bfd732 View Post
    I like the comment that air is free so why not use it ?

With all the **** we breathe why not limit it where we can?

Remember cancer is also free but few of us want to take advantage of that offer.

Our unofficial rule is if we have to hump it to a distant brush fire we doff the packs, otherwise we're expected to wear them. We have alot of poison ivy in our area and try to be cautious even at brush fires.

Now this is not to say we don't have members walking into CO and/or odor of gas alarms, overhaul and small fire conditions without the pack, we do, but... we're trying to change that thinking.
    I guess if you have to stand in the smoke to put out a lawn mower you should. I know I can avoid it.

I wonder how many of you *honestly* wear your scba throughout overhaul?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I like that. Also do you want to be able to play with your grandkids without lugging around a O2 bottle????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

I wonder how many of you *honestly* wear your scba throughout overhaul?
    I do. As I said above, we have the equipment to fill the bottles on hand all over the place. It was expensive and looks pretty, so we are expected to bring it out and use it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Lawn mower fire. Ya, I'd probably have a SCBA on my back, but not using air. Vehicle fire. Ya, I'd probably have a SCBA on my back, but not using air.

Then again, we don't normally roll a truck/engine without at least 2 guys with SCBA on. Doesn't mean they will use them, but they are ready if needed. Once we get on scene, we will remove them when we don't see a need to use it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Lawn mower fire. Ya, I'd probably have a SCBA on my back, but not using air. Vehicle fire. Ya, I'd probably have a SCBA on my back, but not using air.

Then again, we don't normally roll a truck/engine without at least 2 guys with SCBA on. Doesn't mean they will use them, but they are ready if needed. Once we get on scene, we will remove them when we don't see a need to use it.
    Bones, is this personal preference on your part, or does the department SOP not give a guideline for wearing SCBA at vehicle fires?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd3dfd3 View Post
    I would at least pack up for the call just because you never know what actually is going on. I got caught once on a car fire not packing up and pulling into the block not only having a car fire but a house fire as well. I guess dispatch didn't think the house being on fire was that big a deal. But pulling hose while putting a pack on at the same time will only be done once. I'd rather have it and not need then need it and not have it.
    Are you putting on a NASA suit or an SCBA??

How long does it take you to put on an SCBA that you need to pull a line WHILE putting the thing on????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    Are you putting on a NASA suit or an SCBA??

How long does it take you to put on an SCBA that you need to pull a line WHILE putting the thing on????
    The sheer mechanics of the task are baffling.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information