Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Bones, is this personal preference on your part, or does the department SOP not give a guideline for wearing SCBA at vehicle fires?
    SOP is that guys on the truck have SCBA on. There "use" is up to officers.

I'll have 6 guys in SCBA at a car fire. Only 2 are attacking the car, those 2 will be on air, the other 4 won't.

There's a fire in the trunk. Guys at the trunk will be on air, guys opening the hood won't.

Ya, I know, you can't write a SOP/SOG that covers common sense.

We go on air when it's needed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I am always going to pack up and breathe air everytime I see black smoke and will be engaging the fire. I want to live and fight fire as long as I can so my lungs must stay healthy. Now, if there was an immediate threat to someone's life (dude was still on the mower and the few seconds it takes to put on your pack and breath air would affect the outcome of that person's life then no, I would not.

Being known as an Old School firefighter is great and all but the title doesnt matter if are no around to recognize it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    SOP is that guys on the truck have SCBA on. There "use" is up to officers.

I'll have 6 guys in SCBA at a car fire. Only 2 are attacking the car, those 2 will be on air, the other 4 won't.

There's a fire in the trunk. Guys at the trunk will be on air, guys opening the hood won't.

Ya, I know, you can't write a SOP/SOG that covers common sense.

We go on air when it's needed.
    That sounds like a magical place where trucks are staffed how they should be. You guys are lucky, thats for sure.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

6 guys between and engine and a truck. (during the day).
    6 guys on the engine, 5 on the truck. (at night).

We're happy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Not going to kick you kid. You're first post wasn't a bad one. Glad you didn't come across like some know it all ******. Welcome to the club and make sure you get some tough skin if you plan to do some posting..
    thanks for the support im very into the fire department and september 2009 i will be turning 16 and become a regular member of my company and then i can take all my required classes to become a certified firefighter for my company

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I can't believe we're still debating this. Honestly speaking, if we get a run for a lawnmower in a yard on fire, I am probably not even putting on my turnouts, let alone packing up.

Like I said, we don't pack up for car fires. I doubt a push mower, hell even a rider could be any worse.
    wow...i think atleast your pants and boots minimum.... you never know what will actually be on fire at the scene.
    also not packing up for cars doesnt seem to smart.... think about it a burning vehicle could(and most likely will) = burning rubber, burning metal, burning liquids, burning plastics, burning fabrics,etc all those burning materials will make for a nasty mixture of toxic smoke and fumes
    but its your body so its your choice on how you want to protect it..... to some degree

Forum Member

no pack on car fires or lawn mower. get in close and hold my breath if i get in the smoke. it will be out quick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    no pack on car fires or lawn mower. get in close and hold my breath if i get in the smoke. it will be out quick
    Just hold your breath..This may be the best answer in this entire thread.

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS

Forum Member

think how bad burnt plastic is to breath in... now think of what a car is made out of and if you breathed that in?

now thats a thought....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    I hope this is a joke...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

All you need is a speedo and a pair of cheap sun glasses...

Our sog is to suit up enroute. If it's burning and you can inhale it, why would you even want to. The exception is grass/wildland fires.

My father-in-law was in the service for 52 yrs. Watched him die from lung disease (non-smoker).

Stay safe bros

Forum Member

Default Catch 22!

This is a tough one. On one hand, the use of SCBA in any situation in which hazardous fumes COULD be ingested/inhaled should be the rule. On the other hand, it is a riding lawn mower. If no one donned SCBA from the jump seat and it must be donned after exiting the rig, then there is probably an old veteran who is going to grab the line and put the fire out while you're strapping on the tank. If the fire is left to burn while two guys pack up, you're likely to have an irritated owner wondering what is taking you so long to get his fire out. I would probably just stand back and hit it with a blast from the CO2 extinguisher and be done with it! :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

I made a commitment to every firefighter on my departments family to keep them as safe as possible, and to do my damndest to make sure that they come home alive after a call.

Airpacks all the time. What in the problem. Its the rule. Pack up. What is the big deal? Is it that difficult? Does it cause you that much effort? Just
    what are you going to save on that fully involved mower by not spending that few seconds to packup?

No benefit? If nothing else, its just more practice in donning and doffing.

Too hot? 2-3 minutes is how long he said it took to put it out - then take the pack off. I will have a safety person right there with a bottle of water for you.

And come on - have the pack on and not go on air? Whats the matter, air not your flavor?

I guess we could leave it all up to the individual - heck, its just a mower fire, you probably don't even need to suit up. Shorts and a wifebeater? Why not - its only a mower. Flip flops are a must.

The only exception I can think of is rolling up, being 200 feet away and
    hitting it with the deck gun. (I kid of course)

Of course, ground cover fires do not get SCBA.

Don't like it? Don't come to my fires. Its real simple.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CapnScott View Post
    TIf the fire is left to burn while two guys pack up, you're likely to have an irritated owner wondering what is taking you so long to get his fire out.

If it takes my guys that long to pack up, then I deserve the homeowner being irritated.

If he really has a problem, then he can go over my head to the board. They need a laugh.

Forum Member

Just to restate my veiw on thi subject, air is free, all around the world. None of us have any excuse for not packing up.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Air is FREE UNTIL you compress it. Then it costs a little more. We usually don't pack up for a lawn mower/atv fire unless it's in a enclosed space but we don't have to get in the smoke to put it out either. Not saying packing up is a bad idea,it isn't. Lawnmower fires around here are usually very short duration events.And pretty rare.I can see both sides here and as long as you're NOT in the smoke,I doubt you have any career shortening effects.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Don't like it? Don't come to my fires. Its real simple.
    OK, but that means you can't come to mine, then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    OK, but that means you can't come to mine, then.
    Chuckle... See how you are?

Forum Member

can't believe this thread made it this far.

If you are leaving the firehouse for something on fire, you should put your turnouts on. Its a sign of laziness not to.

If anything comes in on fire and near a structure, be it a garbage can, car, lawnmower, shopping car, dumpster, etc... Put your pack on, if it extends or has already extended into the structure you might need to go on air on arrival. For all we know the caller is an idiot and is focused on the burning lawnmower and doesn't seen that the side of the house is burning and smoke is puffing from the eaves. This is another laziness issues.

Forum Member

Any smoke produced by plastics or "polys" is bad smoke.

I can see not wearing an SCBA on a riding mower fire if you can hit it from upwind, but a car? Really ... Please tell me you really don't consider smoke from a vehicle burning as extremly hazardous?

And last I knew that dumpster was full of empty containers .. with residues ..of cleaners, bug killers and a host of other potentially bad stuff. Sorta warrants an SCBA in my book.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Any smoke produced by plastics or "polys" is bad smoke.

I can see not wearing an SCBA on a riding mower fire if you can hit it from upwind, but a car? Really ... Please tell me you really don't consider smoke from a vehicle burning as extremly hazardous?

And last I knew that dumpster was full of empty containers .. with residues ..of cleaners, bug killers and a host of other potentially bad stuff. Sorta warrants an SCBA in my book.
    Did your mother tell you to play in traffic? Stay out of the smoke. It's simple. Structure fires, thankfully for most of us, do not allow for this option. We wear the packs on our backs on all calls except grass and woods fires, but masking up is routine only when you cannot stay out of the smoke. That's air management for all you new age buzz word types.

By your logic, we should mask up for grass fires? Plenty of bad stuff in the grass, plastic bags, used condoms, diapers, bottles, rag weed, painted wood debris? Where do we draw the line between common sense and over-regulation?

Forum Member

It's in the works,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

RFD ,,

I really can't tell from your post if you do or do not mask up for vehicle fires.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply mask up for all vehicle fires all the time. Then you could concentrate on putting out the fire rather than worrying about being in or out of the smoke.

Changing an SCBA bottle takes less than 1 minute. And the crap in the cars today is no less dangerous than the crap in structures. So why would you not mask up all the time?

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't.

As far as air management in structures, my current department and last department kept it very simple. Any smoke is bad for us, so we went on air once we encountered any smoke in commercial/public assembly srtructures, and at the door for residential fires, even if there wasn't any smoke at the door. Policy simply took the objective part out of "how much smoke requires masking up?".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    RFD ,,

I really can't tell from your post if you do or do not mask up for vehicle fires.
    We mask up if needed. This means if the hose line knocks the fire down quickly without getting intimate with the smoke to open the engine compartment or trunk, masks may not be in place. This is one we don't force an "always" or "never" rule. many FFer's mask up on all car fires, others use the stream and stay out of the smoke.

No one is arguing the statement that smoke from auto's or dumpsters is bad. The key is not to be in it. That option does not exist at structure fires. Again, given you're points, why don't you mask up at outdoor wildland fires? Is the smoke OK? As you noted: "How much smoke requires masking up?" Do pump operators require SCBA? Aerial turntable operators? It's fairly easy to say,"We don't breathe smoke", it's much harder to actually do it. I feel our operations address the concerns and maintain reasonable expectiations and realistic margins of safety.

On to the next question: Are masks required when cutting on the roof?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-10-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Forum Member

Here, with the departments I run with, and the resources available, I will say yes. I dont want to be the one falling through the roof without SCBA if something goes south. Not to say I wouldnt correctly and carefully sound the roof before getting off the ladder, but anything is possible.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information