Forum Member

you need to check your state Labor Laws. In CT, Juniors cannot operate anything until 18, however, we let them drive our Forest Rescue Vehicle (Club Car XRT) at work sessions as long as they have someone that is checked off to drive it with them.

In order to operate it at a call, you have to attend and pass a UTV training course. If anyone has the chance to take one, do it. We took ours with Ashmore Industries in Waterbury, CT.

Forum Member

If it's department policy that Explorers, Juniors, Cadets or whatever else you want to call them don't drive then they don't drive anything that may be considered a department vehicle. There is a reason for the policy. It don't make sense that a Junior can't drive a Polaris Ranger when it's all together possible that they have one at the house and drive it all the time. Those are the policies.

This also takes the tendencies of teenagers out of play. You let them drive the Ranger then they want the Chief's car since it's not apparatus. Then they want the grass rig since most of them are 3/4 or 1 ton pick up trucks with skid units in them. Finally they push for the pumper. They will make the arguement that they have been with the department for x number of years and they have the requisite experience. Goes back to give an inch and they will try to take a mile.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mspradio2215 View Post
    the question came up last night at our dept. drill/meeting, "should explorers be allowed to drive apparatus?" the apparatus in question was a Polaris Ranger. Does anyone have any Dept SOGs regarding this, or is there some sort of law governing this? looking for any assistance. thanks in advance!
    In my company, you have to be 21 years of age to drive any responding apparatus vehicle. But there is really no reason for Cadets to be driving an emergency service vehicle to a call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Natatha View Post
    Aww! Come on dickey! You know I can take HR-1 out without a problem!

*Crosses Fingers that no dents or scratches would be applied....*

:P
    Uh....that's a big fat negative Ghostrider!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Responding...negative. In a properly supervised official training, I have no problems with a licensed explorer operating a tool OR a piece of apparatus
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Uh....that's a big fat negative Ghostrider!!!
    LIEZ! I don't have to worry about you... I think it's Shawn that I really have to worry about.
    Mike Kelly
    Altoona Fire Department
    Explorer Post 800
    Altoona, Wisconsin

Forum Member

Drive any form of vehicle absolutley not. You can be killed on any type of vehicle I for one wouldn't want to have to try and justify allowing explorers driving in court either.
    Last edited by madden01; 01-19-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: change mind

Forum Member

I hate to put this in these terms. It works something like this. If (huge IF) a Junior is for some brain fart allowed to drive any piece of equipment and he/she crashes out. He/she gets hurt and/or killed. Momma decides the appropriate course of action is to sue the pants off the Fire Department. That drives the decision making process of the only driving Juniors are allowed to do is the rest of us to drink. Hate it but that's how it works
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Talking Driving the Apparatus?

In My Department Junior's Are Not Allowed To Drive The Apparatus To Emergency Calls. They Are Allowed To Move Small Apparatus Such As Fire Police Car And Utility. The Juniors May Not Drive On The Road Unless A Chief Officer Gives Them The Permission To. A Junior Firefighter In Our Department Has To Also Be In The Station With A Senior Member At All Times So There Is No Reason Really To Drive.

Once The Junior Member Becomes A Regular Firefighter Then He/she Is Allowed To Begin Driver Training On The Apparatus.

Forum Member

In my department, the rules are that no juniors can drive apparatus, or anyone that has not been properly trained to drive the trucks, we dont own any ATVs, Boats or small vehicles, we dont even have a pick up truck. Although at 18 once we are no longer juniors we are able to take the training, although this does not mean we get the drive, we still have to have OK from the chief. Although most of the time we have operators who are also high ranking, so when it comes to who gets behind the wheel is usually a ranking officer who gets to decide.

Forum Member

Nope! I myself am an explorer i believe that we are not allowed to drive the apparatus. I do believe that an explorer with a legal liscense should be able to drive vehicles that aren't in service. Some of our training consists of only the 6 of us and one advisor. And if no engine is avalible then we must use a utility with 5 person max. We also have two ford explorers that are used for fire department use and one of which isn't in service. Do you think the older explorers should be able to drive this so the older explorers don't have to use their personal vehicles to transport us to the drill areas????

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mspradio2215 View Post
    the question came up last night at our dept. drill/meeting, "should explorers be allowed to drive apparatus?" the apparatus in question was a Polaris Ranger. Does anyone have any Dept SOGs regarding this, or is there some sort of law governing this? looking for any assistance. thanks in advance!

In our department our SOGs dictate that under no circumstance are eplorers aloud to drive any department vehicle for any reason whatsoever that's the personells job

Thread Information