Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default EMT but not Firefighter in Jacksonville

I have taken an EMT-B course (as an elective at my undergrad institution) as I was interested in working in Jacksonville for the JFRD as an EMT; however, from what I've read on the JFRD website, it looks like all their employees need to be certified as both a firefighter and EMT/Paramedic. Am I reading this correctly, or do they hire just EMTs who do not work as firefighters as well?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmm1012 View Post
    I have taken an EMT-B course (as an elective at my undergrad institution) as I was interested in working in Jacksonville for the JFRD as an EMT; however, from what I've read on the JFRD website, it looks like all their employees need to be certified as both a firefighter and EMT/Paramedic. Am I reading this correctly, or do they hire just EMTs who do not work as firefighters as well?
    To answer your question, YES, as an EMT you have to be duel certified to even have a shot at working for a fire dept in Florida. There are a few exceptions but with the way the economy is, there are more people looking for jobs than there are jobs.

I am a medic, recently graduated fire academy 2 months ago and I am still looking for a job. Most departments now want firefighter/paramedics. Departments are leaning towards ALS more so than hiring EMT's unless they are strictly BLS agencies.

IF you go through fire academy, become duel certified you have a better shot, but since there are an over abundance of EMT/Firefighters, you really need to take as many courses as possible to boost your credentials.

Here is what I have to say about going after a paramedic certification. IF you are only going to get a paramedic certification for the sole purpose of getting a job, please find another career choice or work for a transport only agency as an EMT. Otherwise, work hard toward a degree and take as many fire science classes as possible to help yourself become eye candy to the departments in which you apply.

I am VERY concerned over the number of firemedics who became paramedics for the reason of getting a job. It speaks for itself.

As for you recently coming an EMT, I STRONGLY urge you to go work for a transport EMS agency and get some experience. Become familiar with radio systems, how to communicate, execute instructions given by your paramedic and superiors, learn incident command etc. Understanding how to work with someone 12-24+ hours in a day and gaining knowledge helps you become a strong EMT and turns you into a better quality paramedic down the road if you choose to take that path.

If you only want to be a firefighter/emt, work hard for it and it will pay off. But again as for getting hired onto a fire dept with no experience and with no firefighter standards certification, its not going to happen. Also, think about getting into a volly dept and see if its your thing. You will need Firefighter I, but it will definately get your feet wet.

Thread Information