MembersZone Subscriber

Default 4 section 75' rear mount

does anyone know of a company builing a 4section 75' rear mount aerial with prepiped waterway? need short narrow truck for maneuverability

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 4 section

LTI built several back in the mid 90's - they were mid mount 4 section. Not sure if they still can or will build one.

Forum Member

fleet551

I believe that they were 4 section 90' ladders, not 75's.

Forum Member

Maxim Fire Apparatus built a series of them a while back...a few years ago the Provincetown Fire Department on Cape Cod MA had one refurbed and midmounted on a custom body and Ford cab-over chassis. The rig had a very short wheelbase,was a 1000/300 quint, and carried heavy rescue equipment, but it was rolled two weeks ago and seriously damaged unfortunately. The aerial itself is 4 section 75 foot aerial ladder from a 1961 Central
    Falls, RI aerial ladder truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default replacement ladder

to skipatrol8, that is the truck I am trying to replace and looking for input?

What does the overall length of the truck have to be and why does it need to be a midmount?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrod192 View Post
    to skipatrol8, that is the truck I am trying to replace and looking for input?
    Sorry to hear about your luck, hope everyone is ok. As for replacing it......Good luck. I can't remember seeing such and animal for some time.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

There were a bunch of those Maxim 75 sticks running on the Cape for a while, though I'm not sure if you want to go the same refurb route again. The aerials would proably be 40-50 years old (if not more), so who knows if that's a good plan. Have you considered looking at Orleans former L-176? Seeing as the rig was refurbed in 2002, I imagine the stick is in pretty good shape, though it is an 85 footer. But with a cabover chassis and rear mount, I bet it would have a pretty short wheelbase. If you are interested in a similar rig, check out http://capecodfd.com/PAGES%20Special/Maxims5.htm for some old Maxim's.

If you are looking to go new, I don't think that the there is a manufacture that currently makes that sort of aerial. However, if you intend on keeping a 2 door cab-over chassis, I think you can still get a pretty short wheelbase on a 75 foot three section, though the front overhang would be large. Rosenbauer did a 65 footer for Miami-Dade, which might also be an option, if you're willing to sacrifice some reach.

In any case, good luck in your search.

Forum Member

i went on the website for that fireline guy and he has some nice 75' 3 sections aerials.

i've looked all over and can't find anything like you are looking for. can't remember anything like that being built since the 70's.

bite the bullet, it's impossible to find.

he looks like he has some pretty nice stuff:

http://www.firelineequipment.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aerial

http://www.nefirebrokers.com/node/47
    Not sure if the above is a 3 or 4 section ladder.

Forum Member

deputyhunter,

We will be advertising a 1992 Spartan LTI 75' and a 1997 ALF LTI 75' in the very near future. Both are three section ladders; one with a 250# tip load and the other with a 500# tip load.

Forum Member

arff17,

That is a three section also. It is an older LTI AS-75'. Looks like it is in nice shape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Short Ladder

we are looking at new trucks instead of used or refurbed, hoping to find or build something with 190" wheel base, 96' width, and 32' bumper to bumper with ladder overhanging 2', looking at Seagrave meanstick 75'. Also have Metz sales rep coming by this week and pierce, smeal and ferrara are all putting something together, but most are too big. any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jrod192 View Post
    we are looking at new trucks instead of used or refurbed, hoping to find or build something with 190" wheel base, 96' width, and 32' bumper to bumper with ladder overhanging 2', looking at Seagrave meanstick 75'. Also have Metz sales rep coming by this week and pierce, smeal and ferrara are all putting something together, but most are too big. any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
    And herein lies the "Metz niche". To clarify then the OAL is 34 ft? From ladder overhang to the rear bumper or front bumper if it's a MM?

Forum Member

There are several Metz in your area, most notably Oak Bluffs and Nantucket, which probably face many of the same issues with tight streets and the like. Might be wort the ferry ride to go check them out...

Also Avon CT has one, though if I recall correctly its a dual axle rear, which I'm sure you probably would not want. Also Carabasset Valley ME has one on a 4x4 chassis if that is appealing...but that's about it for New England I think.

Forum Member

Ah,you forgot Newry,Maine home of Sunday River Ski area.They have one also. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireLineEquip View Post
    fleet551

I believe that they were 4 section 90' ladders, not 75's.
    They also have made 4 section 75 Ft ladders that where mid-mounted. The last ones I believe where sold to Des Moines, IA. They where equipped with a tremendous amount of compartment space as well as pumps. I believe they where delivered in late 04 or early 05. I believe they where in the area of 40 Ft. OAL. If you get a pump it tends to add 4 feet to the overall length of the rig.

jrod192,

Mid-mount aerials usually are longer then rear mount aerials. There are some exceptions but they are very few.

Chief1ff

Forum Member

I would certainly go the price of a phone call to RK Aerials in Fremont, Neb. Rosenbauer has a large ownership stake in the company, but unless there has been some recent change, it's not 100%. They supply aerial devices (ladders, platforms and waterways) to almost all of the apparatus builders who don't make their own ladders. RK Aerials are found in Rosenbauer's web site, but they do considerable work apart from Rosie. Talk to Rob (the president) and see if he has something that can work for you. As creative as he and his crew are, he might be able to invent something for you.

RK Aerials
    870 S. Broad St.
    Fremont, Neb.
    402-721-7622
    Rob Kreikemeier

As several others have said, the Metz has a lot going for it. I'll be interested to learn what Tony brings you and how it performs for you. And remind him to check out Wimpy's in O'ville for a good burger.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 11-24-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Thread Information