Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default LAFD Backround etc

i am going through LA City's hiring process, though it seems like almost everyone is at some stage in LA city's process! i got through written/interview/background interview with no real problem. my background interview was on the 18th of September. i'm just wondering how long it's going to be until i get a letter giving me an answer one way or another, about whether or not i will be moving on to the actual background? i wouldn't say i'm anxious, but i do lose a little hope every day i check the mail and nothing is there. what is a normal wait time in your guys' experience?

Forum Member

I am also in the September 18th group. Everyone that is receiving the results seem to be in groups earlier than ours. I have spoken to a few candidates and friends that received their results and they were all in the Sep 4th class. I called personnel today and they said they have not reviewed my packet which leads me to believe they have not gotten to our group yet.

Also keep in mind that it is a LONG process with LAFD. Even though some candidates have been notified doesn't mean that we wont get notified later down the road. I have talked to candidates that have gotten their BI as soon as 2 months after their initial panel review to as far as 11 months after the first review.

Just hang tight, Im sure we will hear something soon. Remember that "no news is good news".

Default anywhere between 2-4 mos

thats what i keep hearing from personnel. they say they are backlogged due to having so many applicants. personally the overload of ppl is making it very exhausting to get in with a dept like La City. it seems now that the background investigators are only looking to keep the guys with the easiest backgrounds moving along (i.e. not many jobs and squeeky clean records) as opposed to those with more jobs and hiccups here n there but a lot of experience. dont know if u hav heard but check this site out and hear some of the testimonys.....http://www.lafdnonselected.com

all i can say is keep pluggin away...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post
    thats what i keep hearing from personnel. they say they are backlogged due to having so many applicants. personally the overload of ppl is making it very exhausting to get in with a dept like La City. it seems now that the background investigators are only looking to keep the guys with the easiest backgrounds moving along (i.e. not many jobs and squeeky clean records) as opposed to those with more jobs and hiccups here n there but a lot of experience. dont know if u hav heard but check this site out and hear some of the testimonys.....http://www.lafdnonselected.com

What a dumb website. All people do in this country is complain.

Hello Captain Kearns and fellow not selected candidates. I tested with LaCity back in November of 2007. After passing the test and getting a 100 percent on my interview I felt confident being 21 years old, a Paramedic before the age of 20 and being in the medical field since I was 18 years old running 9-1-1 calls with Los Angeles County Fire Dept as an EMT. Ever since I was five years old I wanted to become a firefighter. During high school I worked hard and got good grades ( 3.4 gpa and above). I took Fire Technology classes in college at the same time I was in high school along with getting my EMT certificate. I had to wait to get my EMT license because I was under the age of 18. I was also an LacoFD explorer and went to the fire acadamy and became a certified explorer. After about a year as an explorer I became one of our lead explorers. After high school I continued to take fire science classes, building construction, and I completed a basic wildland fire acadamy. So after I moved through the selection process with lafd relatively fast, I received that letter saying that I was not mature enough and my decision making and judgement got me disqualified or not selected, I along with family, friends and Co workers in the medical field were stunned as were many firefighters already hired by LA City or LA County. I became a paramedic because I love this field and I wanted to do everything in my power to try to get myself into the fire department. After spending over ten thousand dollars for paramedic school and investing all my time, hard work and patience, I feel that my application was not taken seriously. I have worked too hard and have gone too far to allow someone who has not seen me work in the field tell me that I am not mature enough or that I have no experience.
    Big deal. Move on. Test again in a year

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post

hearing from who??

so lafd personnel are more than happy to share about the hiring process if we ask?

Default not true

Intheprocess.....your statement about B.I.'s taking the easy way out is false . They do a complete investigation and it's up to the hiring authority as to who they pick and do not pick. The problem is that many candidates are impatient and start with the rumors. Just relax and good things happen to those who are patient.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I could not agree anymore with Jay Dudley.

Intheprocess, what you have heard or what you think is completely false about the background process. I have known people that have gotten hired within 5 months, to those that it has taken up to two years. Its how the panel review places you.

lt9ers, I am talking about the personnel safety dept. You will get the number when you go into backgrounds. You can ask them what your status is. I don't recommended calling unless it has been a few months past your projected date to receive information back about your backgrounds.

Also, about the nonselected website. I wouldn't pay any attention to that. It will only add to your nerves if you are waiting to hear back. If you weren't chosen by this department move on. There are plenty of other departments out there. LAFD is a different department and has quite different hiring standards than other departments.

Thread Information