Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Explorer Sucess

Default Explorer Sucess

Hey everyone! I am a 15 year old fire explorer in middle tennesse and becoming a firefighter is what I am aiming at for a lifestyle and a career. I love the post but it is only every two weeks that we meet. So my first question is if there is anything else I can do in between meetings to really be prepared to be the best i can when it comes to being hired? (other than finishing high school since obviously that is the first priority now) My other question is how seriously does the department look at my experience as an explorer? I would think it would count for something but if anyones experience says otherwise let me know. Thanks, and stay safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firelax View Post
    So my first question is if there is anything else I can do in between meetings to really be prepared to be the best i can when it comes to being hired? (other than finishing high school since obviously that is the first priority now) My other question is how seriously does the department look at my experience as an explorer?

First to best prepare yourself to be a firefighter, concentrate on your school work. You stated that is a priority, so at least you understand it, but doing good in HS will pave a future for you, whether scholarships, knowledge, team building through sports etc. Also keep your nose clean, despite peer pressures and so forth, remember anything you do may come back to haunt you. Don't do anything stupid that will get you in trouble. Look at colleges early for fire school, but don't disregard the military either if you want to go that route.

When it comes to being an explorer as experience during a job interview, it may help a little, but typically if the dept has an explorer post. Every dept will train their people their own way and what you learned as an explorer may not mean squat to a different dept. Being on a post shows that you are passionate about the job, but that is about it. What would stand out more is how you give back to the community as well as bettering yourself. Being involved in programs like Big Brother, Big Sister, volunteering at Salvation Army or Red Cross, etc will probably pull in more weight than being an explorer.

On any job interview, pretty much every candidate has the same type of experience as you. While as an explorer you got it faster, it doesn't matter in the long run. The interviewers see countless people all saying they have the experience to be a firefighter or why they want the job. What stands out is what you bring that is different, such as volunteering as I mentioned. Really the only time being an explorer helps on an interview is if you are applying for the same dept your were an explorer at, because they may have been able to get to know you, the person, not the experience.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thread Information